Air For Oct. 24th Insignia

shkarns

For those who are interested I received our air arrangements yesterday for our 24th Insignia sailing with much persistence from our travel agent. We elected not to use an air deviation because we weren't that unhappy with the arrangements which are as follows: Los Angeles to Dulles on United, Dulles to Frankfurt on Lufthansa, Frankfurt to Athens on Lufthansa. The return is Barcelona to London Heathrow on British Airways and London to Los Angeles on British Airways. Upon calling the airline to try and get seat assignments was told that a ticket has not been issued yet, they need a ticket number to assign seats. Am working on finding out when Oceania is going to actually ticket so I can proceed and at that time I will inquire about using frequent flyer miles to upgrade if at all possible.

We are on that cruise as well. I am glad you found that out, now maybe I can have my TA do the same. We had talked about getting air deviations as well, but after looking at what was available, there were only a couple of choices anyways and likely we would get what we wanted, so why pay the extra. Let me know what you find out about seat asignments as well. Thanks!

I called Oceania yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that they would tell me what the air arrangements were this far in advance of our Oct 10 cruise.

Unfortunately, the arrangements weren't that good---we wouldn't get to Venice until 6 PM, losing an entire day, and on the return home, we had 45 minutes to change planes in Frankfurt--too close for comfort!! So, I e-mailed the air deviation department, and I'm hoping the price difference isn't too awful. The flights I want are on the same airline that Oceania used, so maybe that will help.

Thank you Jan for pushing me to insist on seat selections this early. I contacted our wonderful travel agent who in turn pressed Oceania's air/sea department into action. We now have seats that we wanted, aisles across from each other on all legs except for the short flights within Europe for which I was told that no seat selections could be made until check in at airport. They also assigned our seats for our outbound flight LAX to IDA as well. This is all fine with us, we were really more concerned with our international flights anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

We too got our flights and they are just what we had hoped for! We were able to get seat assignments on the long flights, but not on the short. We are on Lufthansa Detroit to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Athens. Then on Delta Barcelona to JFK and JFK to Detroit. Only a bit concerned about our short time in Frankfort (only an hour), the last time we were there it was a zoo! But I have to say it was shortly after 9/11 and the lines were easily 2 hrs. long. Has anyone been through there more recently?

Archived