where will we go?

Redtravel

I am booked on a Caribbean cruise sailing in January 2018. Several of the posted ports have been devastated by Irma. When will we know if there is a change of ports?

Hi, since things could change by the hour on each island and at each port you may not even know until you board ship. One time we were scheduled for Cartagena. The night before the Captain announced we would not e stopping and spending overnight at another port. This was due to unexpected civil unrest.

Celebrity has not posted much about port changes on their website but since their parent company is RCL I would check RCL website to see where they are sending ships.

I do like to plan our stops (we have a cruise at the end of October) and what we will be doing in each port but this is out of my control I try not to worry about it, look at the possible alternatives and make plan B and plan C. Also if I find something in another island that really peaks my interest and we do not go there as an alternative --- just means I have to book another cruise that does go there.

I am booked on a Caribbean cruise sailing in January 2018. Several of the posted ports have been devastated by Irma. When will we know if there is a change of ports?

Just returned from the Labor Day 11 day cruise on the Equinox. Advised morning of the cruise about changes to the ports we would go to. Captain did a great job and it was smooth sailing the entire 11 days. Curacau became our first port in lieu of St. Thomas and had only one extra sea day. Safety of passengers and crew was a priority. Our last stop was Antigua and many supplies were offloaded for those affected by Irma.

Prayers go out to all that were affected by Irma.

Fran

We were booked with Celebrity in 2010 on the Western Caribbean ports when a hurricane beat us there. Celebrity were very proactive booking new ports of call for the full 14 days so instead of Cancun we found ourselves in Jamaica a many other destinations. The excursions team worked so hard to ensure there was lots of choice and on a couple of days we only found out the night before where we were going but it added to the excitement. If I am honest this was the best cruise we have been on- I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to planning our schedule but this went completely out of the window and I learnt the Caribbean go with the flow.

Don't worry, Celebrity will ensure you still have a great time. We are booked on Summit in October back to back Southern and Eastern Caribbean and who know where we will end up but wherever it is I can't wait.

Was also on the Equinox 11 day Labor day cruise. As OP mentioned, Curacao was substituted for St.Thomas, Martinique was substituted for St Maarten, and Tortola was dropped in lieu of a sea day. Also the dates of all the other ports were changed around to stay clear of Irma. As I like to research and plan port activities in advance, caused me some scrambling. But all turned out well and we had a fantastic time. Don't sweat it. Go with the flow.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

We are due to sail on the Equinox on October 6th and our schedule is almost unchanged. The only difference is a stop in Falmouth instead of Key West (speculation based on the fact that KW is not expected to reopen to cruise guests until Oct 20 and the current itinerary, which is the same as ours, is making this change).

We're not worried. We're getting to spend ten nights on a cruise and have previously been to both port, so that makes us luckier than most and a million times better off than some!

In most cases, with this much notice, they'll change a few of the affected ports. Perhaps Grenada or another different port.

Hi, since things could change by the hour on each island and at each port you may not even know until you board ship. One time we were scheduled for Cartagena. The night before the Captain announced we would not e stopping and spending overnight at another port. This was due to unexpected civil unrest.

Celebrity has not posted much about port changes on their website but since their parent company is RCL I would check RCL website to see where they are sending ships.

I do like to plan our stops (we have a cruise at the end of October) and what we will be doing in each port but this is out of my control I try not to worry about it, look at the possible alternatives and make plan B and plan C. Also if I find something in another island that really peaks my interest and we do not go there as an alternative --- just means I have to book another cruise that does go there.

We were booked on the Eclipse Jan.21 trip. We decided to take a break & change to Oceania in Jan. We then changed our Eclipse trip to the following year on the Reflection. We got a Concierge cabin for less than $2500PP. For 14 days, I look at that as a bargain.

We were booked with Celebrity in 2010 on the Western Caribbean ports when a hurricane beat us there. Celebrity were very proactive booking new ports of call for the full 14 days so instead of Cancun we found ourselves in Jamaica a many other destinations. The excursions team worked so hard to ensure there was lots of choice and on a couple of days we only found out the night before where we were going but it added to the excitement. If I am honest this was the best cruise we have been on- I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to planning our schedule but this went completely out of the window and I learnt the Caribbean go with the flow.

Don't worry, Celebrity will ensure you still have a great time. We are booked on Summit in October back to back Southern and Eastern Caribbean and who know where we will end up but wherever it is I can't wait.

If that is October 2017, and San Juan is hit hard tomorrow and the port is closed - then I wonder what port the Summit will use instead of San Juan to embark and disembark.

Could be days, weeks or months. No way to know. We made final payment last night for a December cruise that includes St Thomas and St Martin. Both are doubtful. Not going to worry about it, wherever it goes there won't be any snow.:p

December 8th, Silhouette??

I'm with you. Where ever the ship goes, I'm just going to enjoy my annual pre-Christmas cruise. Been to basically all the Caribbean islands at least once, if not more, and I just enjoy the ship and the fellow guests.