Scooter Rental in Miami and use on ship

berbet

What is a reputable scooter rental shop in Miami? We don't have a h/c cabin. I've been told the scooter won't fit through the door of non h/c rooms. Is this true? we'll be on the Liberty. Where is the scooter stored if it won't fit in the room? Any help would be appreciated. Tx

you are right; scooters will not fit through the doors of non HC cabins and they have been cracking down on people trying to park them in the hallways because of hazards to others; I suggest that you talk to the Special Needs dept of RCCL and see what they can offer as a solution.:)

Not only will the scooter not fit thru the door of a regular cabin, but there wont be any room in the cabin for the scooter to charge and for you to get around it. I don't know the size of the cabin on your ship but the previous poster was correct, the ship does not like scooters in the halls or in the area near the elevators. Scooters left in the halls pose a safety problem and they often get damaged or broken from kids (usually) playing with them....even if you take the key with you.

Check with RCCL special needs dept, hopefully they can help you get an accessible cabin...if you can and you still want to rent a scooter I can highly recommend Crusieshipassist.com (care vacations) Toll free at (877) 478-7827

they will deliver a scooter to your cabin and you leave it there at the end of the trip. I have used them many times and they are very nice to deal with.

They also rent manual wheelchairs which would fit thru the door if you fold it.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I called RCCL today. The person I talked to gave me Care Vacations phone #. The person at RCCL told me that they had collapsable scooters that would fit through my doorway. I they were mistaken and repeated it and said "do you mean wheelchairs and not scooters?" They assured me scooters. When I called Care Vacs. they told me only collapsable wheelchairs.

I've never sailed on RCCL, we always sail with Princess. I have rented scooters from carevacations, they are smaller travel size three wheel scooters. Call RCCL ask them the width of their cabin doors and carevacations will give you the width of their scooters, and they do fit through the door in the NON handicap cabin on Princess without collapsing and we keep it in the closet area under the clothes (don't know how the closets are set up on RCCL. We bring an extension cord, unplug the battery and charge it overnight where the desk and mirror are. It's been a lifesaver for me. Carevacations is expensive, but it's been worth every cent to know I can enjoy my cruise. You can also take the scooter off the ship for excursions. I utilize wheelchair assist at the airports. I can walk, just limited to distance.

Don't know if this helps any, I hope it works out for you.

We were on HAL Westerdam in 1/07 HC cabin, deck 8 outside. When scooter was brought into the cabin, we couldn't get into the bathroom or the closets or move around. We had all extra furniture removed from the cabin, as well as glass, ice buckets, trays, etc and it still didn't work. We were forced to turn the scooter over every night to housekeeping for them to store and then get it in the morning. Each morning the tiller was leaning further over to the right. By the 3rd night, it wasn't making contact electrically to run. This was a golden companion, 44 x 24 inches. Although HAL broke my scooter they only covered $100 of the repairs. This experience has greatly altered our desire to cruise in the future! Kathi

Archived