Progreso questions.

skipnpeanut

We recently booked a cruise on the Magic, husband wanted to leave from Galveston. Having never heard about Progreso I started doing a little research. Besides ruins, which we have done many times on other cruises, it appears there isn't much else to do there. I'm thinking it may be a ship day. Can you please share your experiences there, would really appreciate it.

We recently booked a cruise on the Magic, husband wanted to leave from Galveston. Having never heard about Progreso I started doing a little research. Besides ruins, which we have done many times on other cruises, it appears there isn't much else to do there. I'm thinking it may be a ship day. Can you please share your experiences there, would really appreciate it.

We did not book an excursion in Progresso because Although the Ruins interested me a long drive there and back did not. That just made for such a long day and I just really wanted to relax.

Other than the ruins you are right there isn't much. There are your typical shops like every port has, but this stop has very few. Theres a place to get liquor and some souvenirs and that's about it. But there was a beach spot where you could get in the water if you wanted to go swimming for a little bit before getting on the ship. All the shops are very close to the ship so it wouldn't take you much time to shop if you wanted to shop, go back to the ship, drop your stuff off, change, and then go back and swim for a while.

We have done the ruins from Progreso, Uxmal is probably the best we have visited anywhere. We have also headed to Merida from Progreso and enjoyed a great day of shopping, sight seeing, lunch, and some of the best ice cream ever. You can get to Merida via Carnival, AutoProgreso, and taxi. You also might consider doing a day of swimming in cenotes. You'll have to arrange a private tour for this, but it is a once in a lifetime adventure.

Edited by PacificMountain2012

People that don't know this should be warned. When you get into port at Progresso, you are SWARMED with HUNDREDS of people trying to sell you cheap, knock-off merchandise. It's HORRIBLE and overwhelming for someone not expecting this. If you're prepared, it is easy enough to keep walking, eyes straight ahead, and contine repeating "No thank you." If you express ANY interest in ANYTHING, it will be difficult to get away from.

Check out http://www.autoprogreso.com/Cruise.html.

We booked with them last year and it was a good experience.

Here's a picture from the beach. Its still in the Gulf of Mexico so not the gorgeous waters of the Caribbean. c46773476849ef954246e1728f769244.jpg

Hope this helps!

I have been to Progreso twice. If I remember correctly, the bus ride from the ship is approximately 15 minutes or so to the city center. They had just begun to build up the public beach area with some bars/restaurants, and they would serve you out on the beach. However, the people trying to sell items on the beach was relentless. The same people over and over again all day - even the ones that we had bought something from. The beach itself could have been cleaner as well. They have an open air market with some very nice locally made items among other things. Not my favorite port...

Yes!! Agreed with the above statement about being bombarded!! And a polite no thank you doesn't always do. You really have to be firm and my husband and I really had to get nasty with one of the venders at one point who would NOT leave us alone!!!