Ship excursions vs. Private excursions

mitchmatch1

To each his/her own. Not everyone however has the desire to vet independent tour companies. Tours organized by CC "superorganizers" may be great or they might have a side agenda. (I'm recalling a thread were a member complained of a private tour that spent the first half hour doing something the poster didn't agree with. I don't know what that "something" was - visiting a church, a bar, or who knows what.)

I'm not comfortable with going along with a private excursion that someone on a roll call has set up -- I don't yet know him or her.

Here is a privately organized tour that ended badly! It go so big that they needed at least two buses. The couple who planned this tour got free seats as well as being taken to lunch by the guide, holding everyone else up while they were being wined and dined. A ship's excursion would have been better!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46684027&postcount=95

In addition to all this, the buses got back late to the ship. Fortunately for these tour passengers, there was a ship sponsored tour that was also late, so the ship was still there waiting - only it was not for them. They got lucky.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Ships make a tremendous profit on excursions. They scare the passenger informing them that the ship will leave unless you take their sponsored tour. Happy travels!

We always book excursions through the ship and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every excursion. I always research the specific places that are most appealing and try to find a corresponding ship tour that covers the same locations.

We were on a late returning ship excursion on Holland America Line's Noordam we arrived late to pier in St. Thomas to find nary a tender waiting. Within minutes of our tour bus getting to the pier a special ship tender was sent to pick us up with the Ships Chief Engineer aboard to assure we made it back to the Noordam safely.

I agree with the other posters who recommend that you should book through the ship as it is your first cruise.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Without reading everyone's response to you, I'm going to just give you mine.

We are seasoned cruisers, however even when we first started cruising, we did private most of the time.

We still continue to do private, WELL KNOWN and referred from people on these boards, as much as we can. Usually they will be cheaper, more personalized, more knowledgeable, smaller groups and longer than your normal cruise excursion.

However, there are times that doing the cruise excursion is either safer, easier or has a benefit to it. For instance we booked with the cruise line once in Belize, which is a tender port. It takes about 20-30 minutes to tender from the ship to the cruise port. Then if you are doing an excursion that is to an island...you get back on a boat and go. "Sometimes" when you book with the cruiseline, they pick you right up from the ship and go straight to the island...saving you about a good hour in just riding a tender there and back. See what I mean?

So, it would all depend on the port you are going to and what you would like to do. That's a starting point. Then read the boards, ask questions and you will come up with the perfect solution. :)

I have never read a thread about a private tour company getting passengers to the ship late.

Here's an article about a group of 16 people taking a private tour that resulted in 14 of them dying and the other 2 being hospitalized. I suppose that either the 2 survivors got to the ship late, or they missed the ship entirely if it didn't wait for them. I don't know what happened.

The 14 people who died were unable to post anything because they were dead, and the 2 survivors probably don't know about cruisecritic, or they might have posted. But it definitely happened that people died during a private tour, and that the survivors either got to the ship late, or they missed the ship entirely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/24/nyregion/24bus.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Here's an article about a group of 16 people taking a private tour that resulted in 14 of them dying and the other 2 being hospitalized. I suppose that either the 2 survivors got to the ship late, or they missed the ship entirely if it didn't wait for them. I don't know what happened.

The 14 people who died were unable to post anything because they were dead, and the 2 survivors probably don't know about cruisecritic, or they might have posted. But it definitely happened that people died during a private tour, and that the survivors either got to the ship late, or they missed the ship entirely.

Wow! You sure turned this thread in a morbid direction.

I'm not sure if you were trying to be humorous with your "the 14 people who died were unable to post anything because they were dead" comment, but I thought it was inappropriate. That statement is certainly not important to this thread in any way.

Edited by sloopsailor

Note that the tour operator was a small unlicensed company. Whenever I book a private tour, I go to TripAdvisor and pick one of the top rated tour companies.

Also, I tried to find statistics as to how many deaths have occurred in tour bus accidents in the US and could not find them. However, I did quickly find these 2 specific domestic accidents where more than 14 people were killed -

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/12/13-killed-new-york-city-tour-bus-accident/

and

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/04/local/la-me-0204-bus-crash-20130204.

I am sure that with a bit more work, I could find deaths that occurred on ship purchased tours. By your logic, you should not purchase private tours and you also should not purchase ship tours so I guess that you will be spending all of your cruise safely on the ship.

This is not my way of enjoying life.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Yes, accidents can happen. They DO happen, but it doesn't matter if you are on a private excursion or a ship excursion. If something is going to happen it will.

There was a cruise passenger (16 years old I believe) on a ship excursion that got caught in a gang related cross fire a few years ago. People have been held hostage and shot at on excursions and on their own in rental cars. A NCL crew member was gunned down right outside the pier and killed for his ipad not too long ago. It will and can happen. But, that doesn't mean it's only going to happen by booking a cruise ship sponsored tour. They can't protect you any more than a local company can. Who do you think is taking you on a cruise ship excursion?? It's definitely not the people from the ship taking you...it's a local company. ;)

I'm pretty sure when the person posted "I have never read a thread about a private tour company getting passengers to the ship late." they were referring to "normally" not when something extreme happens and there's deaths beyond any tour guides control. ;)

Wow! You sure turned this thread in a morbid direction.

I'm not sure if you were trying to be humorous with your "the 14 people who died were unable to post anything because they were dead" comment, but I thought it was inappropriate. That statement is certainly not important to this thread in any way.

No, of course I wasn't trying to be humorous. In fact, I'm rather surprised that you brought up the word "humorous,' because it was the furthest thing from my mind.

It's just that I really dislike seeing someone post "I have never read a thread about a private tour company getting passengers to the ship late." My response is that just because you never read such a thread, it doesn't mean that that never happened. Here's a story in which it did happen. And even worse - some of the passengers died. And oh, did you actually read the article that I linked to? Because if you did, you can no longer proclaim that you never read about such a thing.

And someone posted in a thread in the Celebrity discussion forum that he/she had never seen a post that said that the poster himself/herself had missed the ship because the private excursion ran late. In response, I posted a different link to the same tragedy above, and, because it seemed to be so important to that poster that he/she had never read a first-hand account of someone saying, "It happened to me! I missed the ship because my private excursion ran late!" I said that the dead people were unable to post because they were dead, and as for the 2 survivors, I guess they didn't know about cruisecritic.

By your logic, you should not purchase private tours and you also should not purchase ship tours so I guess that you will be spending all of your cruise safely on the ship.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Where did I say that one shouldn't purchase ship's tours? And I didn't even say that one shouldn't purchase private excursions. All I did was point out that if one claims that he/she never heard of passengers missing the ship because of a private excursion running late, maybe it's because he/she hasn't read about such incidents, NOT BECAUSE such incidents never happened.

I'm pretty sure when the person posted "I have never read a thread about a private tour company getting passengers to the ship late." they were referring to "normally" not when something extreme happens and there's deaths beyond any tour guides control.

I don't know. I figure that when someone says "I have never," it means that they have never. And I don't think that the deaths in the tragedy that I linked to were beyond the tour guide's control, because the company wasn't licensed. It wasn't mentioned in that article, but it was eventually found out that the bus driver didn't have a valid license. It is certainly within someone's control to get the proper paperwork for a sightseeing company and to make sure that the drivers have valid licenses.

I'm going to try to get back to the OPs original question. My wife and I have only cruised one time (so far, 2 more booked now :D) so maybe I can give you a little different point of view from some of the more seasoned CC members. Last year we did a Bahamas/Florida cruise for our first one. I know that's quite a bit different than a European cruise, but it's all I've got! Anyway, I found it MUCH easier to book our excursions through the ship. I had so much else I was fretting over and researching that I didn't want to have to do the same for the excursions as well. I liked having the peace of mind that if we were going to be late, the ship would wait; that if I was unhappy with the excursion, I could go back the cruise line and complain (not that it would matter, but still). Being it was our first cruise, I was doing so much research on ships and lines and rooms and onboard activities (and appropriate MDR dress :D) I didn't want to have to worry about doing more research for excursions as well. Could I have found ones to my liking privately and gotten them cheaper? Probably. Would I have had the same peace of mind from a private tour? Maybe. But I was willing to (maybe) pay a little more for the ship purchased trips on our first cruise. That's my 2 cents, hope it helps and enjoy your first cruise, I can almost guarantee it won't be your last!

We would just add that many experienced (and some novice) cruisers/travelers prefer to do their own thing instead of booking any kind of tour. Some of us routinely contribute to the CC Port boards and answer questions regarding various ports, trains, buses, rental cars, etc. DW and I have been traveling extensively for a long time (stopped counting after the first thirty years) and seldom take any kind of tour. But when we do think a tour is a good idea it will almost always be a small private tour where we usually join with a 2 or 3 other couples on the CC Roll Call board.

To be very blunt, the idea of being stuck on a large tour bus with 50+ other cruisers is not our idea of fun, and we think an awful way to experience any European country. Even in places like South America and Asia...we will often just go off on our own. Perhaps this is why after many decades of travel we still have our spirit of adventure.

Hank

No, of course I wasn't trying to be humorous. In fact, I'm rather surprised that you brought up the word "humorous,' because it was the furthest thing from my mind.

Sorry, but mark me up as another person who thought you were trying to be humorous. Saying they couldn't post here because they were dead is quite tasteless, whether you were being funny or not. Did you really think you had to say that for the rest of us to realize why they hadn't posted anything? :confused:

Instead of blaming the poster for his response to YOUR faux pas, it would have been much more effective if you had humbly apologized for appearing to be insensitive. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

We would just add that many experienced (and some novice) cruisers/travelers prefer to do their own thing instead of booking any kind of tour. Some of us routinely contribute to the CC Port boards and answer questions regarding various ports, trains, buses, rental cars, etc. DW and I have been traveling extensively for a long time (stopped counting after the first thirty years) and seldom take any kind of tour. But when we do think a tour is a good idea it will almost always be a small private tour where we usually join with a 2 or 3 other couples on the CC Roll Call board.

To be very blunt, the idea of being stuck on a large tour bus with 50+ other cruisers is not our idea of fun, and we think an awful way to experience any European country. Even in places like South America and Asia...we will often just go off on our own. Perhaps this is why after many decades of travel we still have our spirit of adventure.

Hank

Hank, as a "seasoned traveler" myself, I can see your point. We often - but not always - hire private guides or go it on our own. But, the OP is a first time cruiser with no mention of previous experience arranging their own tours. Plus, they are traveling with another couple, and we don't know their level of experience, either.

So, keeping it in the context of the OP's post, it is not unreasonable to recommend ship's tours until the time they can also call themselves "seasoned", and have gained enough experience to be comfortable with how such travel arrangements are made. Not everyone is blessed with your experience level.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I tend to do a mix. Some private tours (trip advisor and the ports section of CC are your friend here), some HoHo's (hop on/hop off bus), some just wandering on own, and some ship's excursions. It all depends on how much homework you want to do beforehand, how far afield from the port the good stuff is, how much time you have in port, and how much OBC you have that you must use or lose. Oh, and how good your cruise line's excursions are. No need to be a slave to any one approach.

We are relatively new to cruising, have been on several ship's tours and several private tours.

We have made the decision that we will do all private tours and DIY tours in our upcoming Mediterranean cruises and Transatlantic cruise. All have been arranged and we are looking forward to them.

Just wanted to give my viewpoint, as I can still vividly recall my first Med cruise in 2005 -- my mother, who accompanied me, insisted on doing ship tours. Some of them were not terrible, but others were a big disappointment, especially Istanbul where much time was wasted on a fancy hotel lunch and a stop at a carpet shop -- both big wastes of time that cut down substantially on the amount of time we could spend at the actual places I wanted to see...

Had I the opportunity to do it again, I'd have no problem recommending private tours for anyone's first trip to Europe PROVIDED you have the inclination to do the needed research (locate a well-vetted tour agency/guide, research what you want to see/do, etc.)

Yes, I've been back many times since. (And some places I'd already been, especially in Italy...) But you only get one first chance to see somewhere for the first time, and it might as well be a satisfying experience rather than a frustrating one.

Hi everyone!

I am new and excited to get some 1st. hand knowledge from seasoned cruisers here. I will be going on my 3rd Carnival Cruise and taking my daughter and 2 teen granddaughters August 22 on the Freedom. I need advise on excursions.

I have Ataxia and have a problem with unleveled surfaces. I use an electric wheel chair for long distances for faster mobility. I do fine walking in a familiar, level setting or sitting :) and use a cane or walker when shopping. Snorkeling, tubing, Zip line and such are out. I can ride with help getting in the saddle but again getting to the horse may be difficult if it is not accessible by some type of wheel chair for a long stretch or a level surface to walk on with a cane or walker for a shorter distance (approx. 100 ft.)

My daughter just wants nice beach relaxation, some shopping and good shows.

My granddaughters would like horseback riding, snorkeling (and of course BOYS)!

We only get to be together once a year so we all want to do excursions that I will be able to at least be there if not participate with them.

Our ports as most of you already know will be !. Mahogany Bay, Roatan Isle

2. Belize and 3. Cozumel

I would love any suggestions please.

Carnival Ecstasy Jan. 2002

Carnival Miracle April 2014

Carnival Freedom Aug 2015

TIA,

Mydolly

We are relatively new to cruising, have been on several ship's tours and several private tours.

We have made the decision that we will do all private tours and DIY tours in our upcoming Mediterranean cruises and Transatlantic cruise. All have been arranged and we are looking forward to them.

I do hope you come back and share your experience. Have a fabulous time!

We do a mixture of on our own, ship tours, and private tours.

Examples of on our own, would be cities with a lot to do that we research on our own. Stockholm and Oslo come to mind. In Oslo, for instance, DW (who is an art teacher), really wanted to see the Munch Museum which was not on any tour we found.

St. Petersburg is a port where private tours should definitely be done. If you get a modest size group together, you will see much more and pay much less. Otherwise, many of the places you might think of private tours can just as easily be navigated on your own if you do the research. St. Petersburg is different because of the visa problem, and you embark in an industrial port without lots of cabs waiting. Plus there will not be as many English speakers as many other countries.

If a ship tour has something you specifically want, then it might be a good idea. For instance, in Canada (sorry I forget the specific port), DW went on a ship's tour with instructions on digital photography. She had just bought a new camera, and this really interested her.

If you are going far, a ship's tour becomes a good idea. Two examples of this are Mayan ruins in both Cozumel and Belize. Our Mayan ruins tour in Cozumel (including swimming afterwards) ran way late. The ship was waiting.

An example of both, something that interested us and was far away, was a Bob Marley Bus Tour in Jamaica.

Edited by ontheweb
added sentence in 2nd paragraph

I used to be all for booking our own private tours, but not so much now. Too many of the vans have only front seat windows that open. That means everyone sitting in back has to take pictures through darkly tinted glass or climb out of the car to capture photo memories. On a recent tour, I was told the van comfortably seated six or seven people. That might have been true if the people were all slender. Crawling into the last row of seats wasn't fun for anyone. The van also had blocked side views for the people in the last row of seats.

We took some tours on our own and some through the cruise line over the past two months. Buses were more comfortable and offered better views, but they still had tinted windows. IMHO, the cruise line delivered a better tour product.

We have been on a bunch of cruises and NEVER have taken a ship's tour. The thought of being on a bus with 50 other people simply does not appeal to us.

We have arranged 5 or 6 private tours but we usually just do it on our own. We research where we want to go, what we want to see and grab a cab or public transportation at the port and do it.

We have traveled this way in Europe, the Caribbean, south and Central America , Asia and North Africa with no problems. We have never even come close to missing the ship.

So do whatever fits your needs and makes you feel comfortable. Enjoy!

Edited by Viv0828

Obviously the poor OP's are probably long gone, wondering why they ever posited this question!

We have always used ships tours and have had great experiences.

I have researched private tours and have found it a pain in the neck. Some tours charge by the car load and the fee goes down for every passenger that joins. That means, if you don't have a group you have to go out and find others who want to join you-or hope that others will also take the tour. That's a hassle I don't need.

For first timers, there is nothing wrong in taking a ship's tour.

Obviously the poor OP's are probably long gone, wondering why they ever posited this question!

We have always used ships tours and have had great experiences.

I have researched private tours and have found it a pain in the neck. Some tours charge by the car load and the fee goes down for every passenger that joins. That means, if you don't have a group you have to go out and find others who want to join you-or hope that others will also take the tour. That's a hassle I don't need.

For first timers, there is nothing wrong in taking a ship's tour.

They are leaving in July - "Clebrity Equinox cruise this summer from July 4th Barcelona to Athens July 11th". They are not gone yet.

DON

Edited by donaldsc