Disney Cruise Line

ohiodude109

Hello,

My bf and I were looking at vacations and his eye caught Disney. We are both in our late 20's and are kids at hard. I understand this is a "family" cruise line, but has anyone cruised on disney before?? We have no kids. (Just a beagle) And both not the PDA people. Any feedback would be great.

My partner and I sailed Disney in the Med 3 years ago.

Not into PDAs either. Best cruise ever. No attitude at all. Amazing staff, super food and entertainment, charming dinner companions and hardly noticed the 800 kids on board.

Hope this helps.

Wavy.

I've not a Disney fan but they do have Gay Days at Disney World, its each year in June I believe - perhaps this crosses over to the ships.....

Disney doesn't organize or sanction Gay Days.

but they welcome everybody....

We've had gay friends who have sailed Disney and all have loved it!!

I know that and I did not say they didn't. :)

But it seemed that the suggestion was made that since Disney does Gay Days that their cruise would be fine too. ;)

I know the Gay Days at DW have been going on for years....its a big production - If Disney does not sanction it how does it continue???

Either way I'm not going on a Disney ship or staying intheir property....

I know that and I did not say they didn't. :)

But it seemed that the suggestion was made that since Disney does Gay Days that their cruise would be fine too. ;)

I know the Gay Days at DW have been going on for years....its a big production - If Disney does not sanction it how does it continue???

It is organized by other groups; Disney instructs its employees to treat it like any other day. They have special events in the park after hours - exclusively for Gay Days but they do that for any group that pays them for that.

I was on the interstate coming home from work yesterday (right next to Disney World) and there was a plane holding a banner flying overhead. It read 'Beware, Gay Days at Disney 6/1'

Crazy how far close-minded people will take it.:mad:

I went to school near Disney World - never stepped inside til after Graduation because relatives wanted to go - anywho - you would not believe what was going on there - they still believed in segregation(based on color) and they were so busy waving their Bibles that they did not notice who they were knocking out in the process....thats the funny thing ...that they are having Gay Days & yet have been against it for YEARS!!!!!!!!!

I was on the interstate coming home from work yesterday (right next to Disney World) and there was a plane holding a banner flying overhead. It read 'Beware, Gay Days at Disney 6/1'

Crazy how far close-minded people will take it.:mad:

Disney Cruises (and resorts / Theme Parks) are very gay friendly.

Rotterdam - not sure if there was a specific group (religeous) there when you went, the one time. but Disney as a whole is very gay friendly. Many, many cast members are family. Mr Partner and I have been going since the mid 90's and have never had a problem.

Many groups have gatherings at Disney World and Disneyland, not at all sponsored by Disney though.

Disney may not sponsor it, but I know for Gay Days Anaheim they offer really good room rates at the 3 Disney hotels, discounted admission tickets (not available till August-but usually significant discount) as well as some 'rainbow' merchandise, rainbow candy and baked goods), a special 'bear' menu at a restaurant in Bear country, and cooperation for special events (LGBT river boats, do the Tiki room singathon, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to this party but husband and I just completed our 12th cruise on Disney since 2006 and have 3 more planned down the road, including a group of about 20 - 28 crazy, gay Disney fools. Love everything about the line. We've never had an issue about being gay and have had some of the best table mates for dinner on every single cruise, the latest being out of Galveston.

Michael

I did 2 contracts on DCL and can assure you they are extremely gay friendly. Many many CM's (Cast Members is what all Disney employees are called) are gay and very open. They like to make "magical moments" for guests both in the parks and on the cruises. When I worked there I always watched for gay or lesbian parents to make magical moments for them as I knew it's always a challenge to be accepted. My bosses knew and applauded it.

If you like Disney you will LOVE Disney Cruise Line! Truly a top notch line in all ways from food to entertainment to first class accommodations.

As for Disney Gay Days, they are organized by private companies just like when RSVP or Atlantis charters a ship. While the parks aren't "chartered" they are paying the park extra fees and receive perks for attendees. Over the years there have been many threats of boycotts by the religious zealots and Disney's official response has always been to say while they don't sanction any groups to the parks they do welcome everyone and would never tell a group they weren't welcome.:D

• 1 month later...
A little late to this party but husband and I just completed our 12th cruise on Disney since 2006 and have 3 more planned down the road, including a group of about 20 - 28 crazy, gay Disney fools. Love everything about the line. We've never had an issue about being gay and have had some of the best table mates for dinner on every single cruise, the latest being out of Galveston.

Michael

That sounds amazing! We have always pondered what it would be like to go on a Disney cruise but couldn't make that jump with the apprehension it was family-centric. It sounds like you had positive experiences on Disney cruise line, can you share some more and tips on how a gay couple like us can make the most of a Disney cruise? What should we be aware of and, did you organize a whole group to go on the Disney cruise? We love Disney as much as cruising, we would sure like to experience a combination of both, and we're thrilled to know you've done several already.

I've been reading these boards for a long time but never posted. Never cruised before, and this thread is finally one I felt I could offer something. :)

My partner and I have been going to gaydays at WDW for the last 5 years and LOVE it! We are the type to stay on property and do only Disney stuff during those days....we are HUGE Disney fans! Being there with family is a huge bonus! We have been trying to arrange our work schedules and budget to get to Disneyland for GayDays some Oct - for now, it's a top bucket list item.

I have been wanting to experience a cruise for years (thus why I have been lurking these boards). I knew I had to start with a short one or I'd never get my partner on the ship. Alaska and Europe are cruise bucket lists too. In talking with our travel agent, she suggested Disney - her opinion, she felt Disney had some of the better 3-4 day cruises...and she knows how much we love Disney. We were both a little concerned ...mostly about the kid factor.

We were booked on a 4-night Dream cruise this past May, but we had to choose gaydays or the cruise and gaydays won out. We are now booked on the Wonder in April 2014 for a 5-night. I think I'm more excited for the Wonder than the Dream!

However - at GayDays, we have met so many couples who RAVE about their Disney cruises. This has reassured us we made the right choice for us for our first cruise.

As the PP noted, I too would love to hear the expert advice from those with Disney experience for us first-timers.

I have booked many gay couples / friends / groups etc on DCL - no one ever had any complaints. They do it right - they have adults only area's on the ship - so many kids are in the kids clubs a good portion of the time. The ships are tastefully decorated and is a step above many other mainstreem cruiselines.

I would sail them if had the chance - I wish I took advantage of them being in NYC last year!

My partner and I sailed Disney in the Med 3 years ago.

Not into PDAs either. Best cruise ever. No attitude at all. Amazing staff, super food and entertainment, charming dinner companions and hardly noticed the 800 kids on board.

Disney cruises are for everyone. If you go with Disney you'll have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are going on our first Disney Cruise this October! We are taking our son for his 4th birthday! If it is anything like the parks, we will be well-received and welcomed! The parks are amazing to our family! We have NEVER had a problem. But I am a bit apprehensive about cruising as a gay family, but have known many LGBT families who have gone and said they experienced only thrills and pleasantries!! I am sure my partner and I could pass for sisters, BUT not when our son calls us mama and mimi!!

The college I attended was near DW in a segregated area....shot guns & pickup trucks...I could never figure out how a company could be so "inclusive" and yet be in an area where if you were not white you were not welcome......being from the New York I was totally offended and could not wait to leave.

My partner & I are not into theme park entertainment / cruises(restaurants, DW, Malls) so DW has little attraction for us. Then the kid factor....I really like kids but I believe there is a time a place...so dinner @9:30pm w/ a screaming 6 year old does not make a vacation for us(or a pool full of kids...etc.) usually I blame the parents not the kids.

The Gay Days always were very popular at DW...now I understand how DW gets around not "offending" anyone(meaning corporate profits never shall suffer due to doing the right thing outright).

Disney Cruises (and resorts / Theme Parks) are very gay friendly.

Rotterdam - not sure if there was a specific group (religeous) there when you went, the one time. but Disney as a whole is very gay friendly. Many, many cast members are family. Mr Partner and I have been going since the mid 90's and have never had a problem.

Many groups have gatherings at Disney World and Disneyland, not at all sponsored by Disney though.

The college I attended was near DW in a segregated area....shot guns & pickup trucks...I could never figure out how a company could be so "inclusive" and yet be in an area where if you were not white you were not welcome......being from the New York I was totally offended and could not wait to leave.

My partner & I are not into theme park entertainment / cruises(restaurants, DW, Malls) so DW has little attraction for us. Then the kid factor....I really like kids but I believe there is a time a place...so dinner @9:30pm w/ a screaming 6 year old does not make a vacation for us(or a pool full of kids...etc.) usually I blame the parents not the kids.

The Gay Days always were very popular at DW...now I understand how DW gets around not "offending" anyone(meaning corporate profits never shall suffer due to doing the right thing outright).

That doesn't sound pretty. I'm not going to try and change your mind - but we enjoy goinng - we go when most kids are in school and eat in most restaurants where kids should behave. Your right - the parents are to blame - but we usually manage just fine. They have a great food & wine festival each year - definitely adult oriented.

By the way there are places all over like you dewscribed - it's unfortunate but true.

• 1 month later...

We can highly recommend Disney Cruise Line. We've been on the Wonder and Fantasy and will go on the Magic next year. Why we choose Disney not having any kids? First of all we travel off season, so less kids although still plenty young ones to be honest. You can easily escape them on the adult only decks where you don't have to fight or get up early for your deck chairs as most passengers do travel with kids and avoid the adult only decks. Big plus! Then there is the entertainment which is to us the best there is at sea. Better than Broadway! Dining is a truly unique experience and the quality of the food is really good. We found it much better than Royal Caribbean. And last but not least, the service and attention to detail only Disney has is something you will not find on any other cruise ship. Having written this we always wonder why we don't see a lot of other gays onboard the DCL. The parks are full of them, but the ships not. At least not on both our trips. A must say is that DCL is not cheap, at least not for Europeans. Their rates are at least 20% more expensive than other cruise liners and we are not entitled to onboard credits, unless you book onboard for your next cruise. Nevertheless we are more than willing to pay this for the true Disney experience at sea.

We can highly recommend Disney Cruise Line. We've been on the Wonder and Fantasy and will go on the Magic next year. Why we choose Disney not having any kids? First of all we travel off season, so less kids although still plenty young ones to be honest. You can easily escape them on the adult only decks where you don't have to fight or get up early for your deck chairs as most passengers do travel with kids and avoid the adult only decks. Big plus! Then there is the entertainment which is to us the best there is at sea. Better than Broadway! Dining is a truly unique experience and the quality of the food is really good. We found it much better than Royal Caribbean. And last but not least, the service and attention to detail only Disney has is something you will not find on any other cruise ship. Having written this we always wonder why we don't see a lot of other gays onboard the DCL. The parks are full of them, but the ships not. At least not on both our trips. A must say is that DCL is not cheap, at least not for Europeans. Their rates are at least 20% more expensive than other cruise liners and we are not entitled to onboard credits, unless you book onboard for your next cruise. Nevertheless we are more than willing to pay this for the true Disney experience at sea.

great review..We are sailing them in Feb for the first time..doing a back to back so that we can go to the private island twice!

I actually, originally, wanted to go on a Disney cruise for our up and coming honeymoon. I decided not to because it does seem a bit more expensive than some of the other lines.

I think some gay couples may be concerned about the number of kids, or concerns about "will there be enough activities for adults"? And from what everyone has so, there's no issue.

Part of the problem may be, they highlight more of the family and children oriented activities on the website. It's hard to find information if you're two adults going on DCL - or that's my perception.

That said - we're doing 3 days at WDW and then heading to Fort Lauderdale to jump on a Princess cruise. It seems a better fit for what we're looking for.

I think at some point we will do a Disney cruise. Just not this time.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned last week from cruise on the Disney Dream. We both love to go out to the clubs, dance and live life. However this was not that. It was a very nice, relaxing cruise for us. The ship is amazing! The food was very good! Service was excellent! The AquaDuck was fun! The shows were magical! The downsides: small pools, the adult pool was secluded and didn't have much breeze(however the didn't allow anyone under 18 in the area), the nightlife was all for families but adult activities were offered (just no one there) and kids EVERYWHERE!

Overall, we loved it and are already planning on another cruise in January. It's a great vacation and recommend it if you want to go for a fun, relaxing cruise. If you are wanting to "live it up", you may want to look at some other cruises.

Archived