Fly in day of cruise

TortieGal

Are we crazy to do this? I've been poking around the boards and honestly, didn't even give it a second thought. We're doing the Elation and will be coming over from Phoenix.

Mom flies in the night before we're scheduled to leave and we figured we would just fly out the day of on an early flight.

Thoughts? And thanks!

Are we crazy to do this? I've been poking around the boards and honestly, didn't even give it a second thought. We're doing the Elation and will be coming over from Phoenix.

Mom flies in the night before we're scheduled to leave and we figured we would just fly out the day of on an early flight.

Thoughts? And thanks!

You don't say when you are flying. Nor did you state where you are flying to.

That could make a big difference.

Ask Mom, she seems to know something you may not be aware of. And your back up plan is ?? if for some reason your flight is delayed and the ship sails without you.

Call Mom in the morning.

never again!!! 1st cruise, our plane was delayed getting out of miami to PR...but we made it. 2nd cruise..on time, everything was fine. since it worked before, it would work again?

when DH made out arrangements for last sept, he didn't want to miss another day of work...plus we would have stayed at his sister's house and she had a housefull, already.(all going on this cruise with us) the morning of, everything that could go wrong did...the computer were down all over the memphis airport. they had a phone to another airport and were checking people in that way. thank goodness we didn't stop for breakfast...took over 2 hours in line to get check through. plane was 30 mins late leaving (could have been worse), first thing pilot says "storms heading for dallas, we may have to land somewhere else". pilot made up time in the air, the storms went through dallas quickly. we landed with 20 mins to make our gate for the next flight. if we had missed that flight we would have been in big trouble, all flights to seattle were over booked. *yes, we had trip insurance

DH says "never again". he won't chance it.

We have been on lots of cruises and would NEVER fly in on the day of departure. Just too many things that could go wrong. We find it wonderfully relaxing to fly in mid-afternoon the day before the cruise, have a terrific dinner the night before and not worry about "did I forget to pack something?" Too late to worry, and that point who cares?

We also do it that way on the way back and especially if we are returning from Europe. We always overnight at the airport in New York. If our plane is late leaving Cairo or London or wherever, we don't care as we don't have an ongoing flight until the next day.

I realize that sometimes it cuts into the work but the peace of mind is PRICELESS:D

Kathy

Without knowing the answers to the questions greatam asks along with your the value of your other preferences, it is not possible to answer your question with any degree of authority or certainty. As one way to approach this issue, read response #2 to this previous thread.

No way no how will I ever fly in the day of the cruise. While some may have luck with such flights all it takes is one thing to go wrong and you will find yourself stressed trying to make it to the ship. One lady on our last cruise swore never again would she fly in the same day. She arrived at the airport late and the last shuttle to the ship was leaving. She could not wait for her luggage without missing the ship. Definatly not the way to start a vacation. They got her luggage to her in St Thomas which was day 3 of our cruise I believe.

I'm cruising Thanksgiving week out of Miami. Flying down the morning of from Baltimore. Arriving at MIA at 12:30 p.m. I don't expect to have any problems. When I flew cross-country I came in the day before, but this is such a short hop, I don't envision any problems. I didn't want to have to take an additional vacation day, nor spend the extra money on a hotel room, etc.

Sorry guys, I thought I had given enough information by saying we were on the Elation and that we were coming over from Phoenix.

The boat leaves out of San Diego and we will be flying in from Phoenix. We can arrive in San Diego as early as 7:45 am which is arriving on the first San Diego bound flight of the day from Phoenix. Since the flight is only 45 minutes, it is non-stop. Cruise is scheduled to depart at 4pm and since we just booked it, not sure what time we would start to board?

And if any of the scenarios were to occur that could result in us not taking off, we can also hop in my car at the last minute and drive the 5 hours.

Are we still crazy?

Thanks!

Colleen

I'm cruising Thanksgiving week out of Miami. Flying down the morning of from Baltimore. Arriving at MIA at 12:30 p.m. I don't expect to have any problems. When I flew cross-country I came in the day before, but this is such a short hop, I don't envision any problems. I didn't want to have to take an additional vacation day, nor spend the extra money on a hotel room, etc.

One snow squall in NYC or Boston and the entire East Coast airline schedule could be thrown off by hours. I certainly understand your reasoning, but with more and more late/cancelled flights in today's world and being Thanksgiving week to boot, I certainly wouldn't take the chance.

Good luck!!!

Sorry guys, I thought I had given enough information by saying we were on the Elation and that we were coming over from Phoenix.

The boat leaves out of San Diego and we will be flying in from Phoenix. We can arrive in San Diego as early as 7:45 am which is arriving on the first San Diego bound flight of the day from Phoenix. Since the flight is only 45 minutes, it is non-stop. Cruise is scheduled to depart at 4pm and since we just booked it, not sure what time we would start to board?

And if any of the scenarios were to occur that could result in us not taking off, we can also hop in my car at the last minute and drive the 5 hours.

Are we still crazy?

Thanks!

Colleen

You will be fine flying from PHX to San Diego. Lots of flights-about one an hour. Push comes to shove, you can always fly into LAX and rent a car to San Diego. Enjoy!!!!

People who don't expect to have problems are the same people who cry the loudest when problems occur. Those who prepare for contingencies might be put out when problems occur but at least have a plan to minimize the effects of any problems.

Hello,

There are exceptions to every rule and this situation may be that real rarity in the cruise world, where you can fly the same day as your cruise departure without much thought of missing your cruise. There are many flights from Phoenix to San Diego, and there are lots of alternatives...Phoenix to Burbank and then the train to San Diego... Phoenix to Ontario and rent a car...Phoenix to LAX and rent a car, Phoenix to John Wayne (Santa Ana) and then rent a car or take the train.

For the first timers out there, always fly in the night before. If you do not want to miss a day's work then fly in the late evening.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Without knowing the answers to the questions greatam asks along with your the value of your other preferences, it is not possible to answer your question with any degree of authority or certainty. As one way to approach this issue, read response #2 to this previous thread.

I don't know which is more stressful, flying in the same day and hoping you make the ship on time or over analyzing the scenarios. :D

We really enjoy the night-before evenings in a port hotel for a good night's sleep. I don't sleep well the night before if I'm at home, and totally waste my first day on the cruise by being tired and cranky. :rolleyes: (Can't help it.) But...in your case, TortieGal, I can see why you would leave early A.m. You do have more options since your ship doesn't leave until 4:00 and you have a short flight/drive.

More often than not, things go well. But when you've been stung once, you avoid the day-of flights. Just depends how you feel about gambling, I guess. Whatever you decide, have a great time. Your mom will be well rested for her first day on the ship. It's a great feeling. She'll probably be up later than you on your first night!

Are we still crazy?

Thanks!

Colleen

I have been really thinking about this. I live over 100 miles west of Phoenix. So sometimes I fly out of Phoenix and sometimes I drive to LAX and fly out of there (usually LAX-better planes, better connections-I won't fly US Air-no way, no how).

Why don't you just drive and forget the flight??? That way you have a car to drive around San Diego before/after your cruise. You Mom might also appreciate a "personal" ride to the airport. No problems with luggage storage.

Getting to Sky Harbor at least an hour and 1/2 before your flight to San Diego, then 1 1/2 hours before the flight FROM San Diego plus flying time, plus the hassle of checking/rechecking luggage. DRIVE!!! Leave after work, drive through the cool of the desert evening-there before midnight. Nice restful night in a hotel/sleep late. Board your cruise rested and refreshed. Enjoy San Diego!!!

That's my vote!!!

I also agree with greatam on simply driving. We drove 9 hours to Boston for a cruise, and still ended up home earlier than the flights would have gotten us here. You should be able to arrange a park and stay deal at one of the airport-area hotels so you can spend the night before the cruise there, and leave the car for the week. Or you could just leave home in the morning (probably no earlier than you would have gone to the airport anyway) and park at the pier.

A benefit of this is not worrying about luggage limits (if your wife is anything like mine LOL) and buying some souvenirs which could be a problem safely getting home on a plane.

Are we still crazy?

Thanks!

Colleen

Well now this makes more sense with the details added ;)! I'd be more apt to risk it if I had as many alternatives as you do. I do enjoy being right in Miami the night before and the relaxation of starting my vacation early. But, that's just me ...I'm the same person who drives 45 minutes to the airport hotel in Syracuse to stay the night before my flight leaves too. Crazy probably but for me I need to be as stress free as possible and this is what works for me. :)

ok well I must also be crazy, 'cause we are flying in day of cruise.

any experience flying in to san juan (through Miami)???

we are supposed to land in san juan at 3:30 pm. cruise (carnival destiny) leaves at 10.

Thanks.

Chris

I will never fly out the day of the cruise. It is just too risky. Now maybe it will be fine 99% of the time but my concern is the 1%.

Nowadays with planes oversold if your flight is canceled then there might not be another flight to put you on.

Or what happens if the airport is closed down for the remainder of the day due to rain or due to some incident.

Or what happens if there are computer problems even more severe than the problem encountered by United Airlines the other day.

Because of all of the events that I can't control I always think it is wiser to fly in the day before.

Keith

Don't Do It!

The last cruise I was to fly out on the day of the cruise from New York (LaGuardia) to Miami on American. This was during a huge storm so I had to change flights and make a stopover in Atlanta the day before. I will never fly out the day of ever again.

I have a choice of 3 major airports to fly out of and 3 airports to fly into if there's a problem. I've flown this time of year before from the DC area and I've never had a problem. I don't expect one this time either. I don't need to be the first one on the ship. I don't need to be the first one at the buffet. It's not like I won't be watching the weather just in case. I always have the option to change plans at the last minute if I need to do it.

As for the OP, I'd say fly or drive the day of the cruise, whatever makes you happy.

Archived