Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Other Mediterranean Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Other Mediterranean Ports Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Greece 2005

Do the people in Greece, Croatia, or Italy take American money? Seems the Euros might be the way to go; but if I don't have to change money, I won't. Any favorite items to purchase in any of these locations? I plan to go June 2005. Athens, Santorina, Rhodes, Dubrovnik, Naples, Venice, Corfu, Katakolon, Mykonos, Kusadasi (Ephesus) are some of the ports I will be visiting. Any good advice for favorite places to see????????? Thanks a Bunch for any help!!!!!!! Iris Smyth

Cruising fool

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:45 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS FAYE
Do the people in Greece, Croatia, or Italy take American money? Seems the Euros might be the way to go; but if I don't have to change money, I won't. Any favorite items to purchase in any of these locations? I plan to go June 2005. Athens, Santorina, Rhodes, Dubrovnik, Naples, Venice, Corfu, Katakolon, Mykonos, Kusadasi (Ephesus) are some of the ports I will be visiting. Any good advice for favorite places to see????????? Thanks a Bunch for any help!!!!!!! Iris Smyth
Now let's ask that in reverse.... an Italian is coming to New York City... do you think the average cabbie will take Euros? Not? yeah, I agree. Change your money, you'll have much better luck.
April 15...Hawaii Land Trip
Nov 15...Celebrity Reflection E Caribbean
May 16...Celebrity Constellation Rome to Venice

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old August 18th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Mediterranean is NOT the Caribbean. Buy euros, although inTurkey you can get away with USD.
Crown Princess 09/12 Mediterranean
Emerald Princess 08/10 Eastern Caribbean
Ruby Princess 08/09 Grand Mediterranean
Emerald Princess 01/09 Caribbean
Ruby Princess 12/08 Caribbean
Crown Princess 09/08 Transatlantic CPH to FLL
Crown Princess 05/08 The Baltics
Navigator of the Seas 03/08 Mexico
Royal Princess 10/07 Holy Land
Regal Princess 08/07 LA-Hawaii-LA
Caribbean Princess 08/06 Caribbean
Grand Princess 04/06 Transatlantic to Rome
Coral Princess 01/06 Panama Canal
Grand Princess 07/05 Greek Isles
Star Princess 07/04 Grand Mediterranean
Diamond Princess 03/04 Mexican Riviera
Sun Princess 12/03 Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess 12/02 Western Caribbean
Royal Princess 08/02 Western Europe & Iberia
Ocean Princess 08/01 Alaska
Pacific Princess 12/00 Holy Land & Greek Isles
Carla C. 03/83 Southern Caribbean

Old August 18th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Definately Euros even in Turkey it is widely used as the Turkish Lira devalues so quickly and you will see unofficial exchange booths offering excellent exchange rates if you can manage to figure them out.

Old August 21st, 2004, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Isn't the old saying "when in Rome do as the Romans do"? Why would you even think of taking USD when a large part of Europe now uses just the one currency?

Old August 21st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

NO one in Europe will take dollars. It is NO big deal to change currency at all esp now that the euro is so widely used.
AOS August 2009 So Caribbean
Celebrity Summit Feb 2009 So Caribbean
Crown Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2006
Golden Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2005
Hal Westerdam London to Athens July 30 2004
Celebrity Constellation So Caribbean Spring Break 04
Tahitian Princess - Tahiti ! August 2003
Grand Princess Spring Break 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000
--------------------------------
QE2 1985 - Hurricane Kate- NY round trip to Carribean
Cunard Countess
Greek Islands 1983

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dollars in Ephesus

Merchants will take dollars in Ephesus but these days they probably prefer Euros. We found we could sometimes negotiate a Euro price into a dollar price (same number), so it was a bargaining point.

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Getting Euros while in Europe

I am from Canada, but live in Europe. Getting Euros here with a North American cash card is as easy as getting dollars in North America. You just go to an ATM machine and the exchange rate is usually better at an ATM than at a cash exchange booth. The only thing you need to watch for is that your card is compatable with the ATM. There are symbols on the back of cash cards which indicate what ATM machines will accept them. If the ATM machine you want to use displays one of the symbols on the back of your card, it will work. For example, the "Plus" symbol is displayed on most European ATM's and is on most North American cash cards. Hope this helps.

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM
10,000+ Club

Athens: if you're interested in shopping, go to the Plaka. It's multiple, narrow, cobblestone streets with all kinds of shops. I got my favorite Greek Key earrings there. There is a free shuttle that serves the Plaka (leave the driver a Euro, though).

The Parthenon and Acropolis are in the MIDDLE of the city, up on a hill and surrounded by crowded apartments, etc. You cannot walk close to the buildings, and it's a steep walk. However, to be there at all is rather impressive.

A side trip to Delphi was fantastic. Delphi is a gorgeous ruin up in the mountains. Very impressive, and you get much closer to the buildings and artifacfts. The tour usually includes lunch on the way back since it's about an hour drive to get up there.

Santorina: take the tram up to the top of the town. The switchback road up, with or without the donkey ride, makes you pay too much attention to your feet or the path, and you'll miss the breathtaking view.

We bussed to the other side of the island and went to the beach. Ask about it, and the bus station is a few blocks in. Busfare was 1 Euro each.

Rhodes: walk inside the walled city and go through the Knights Templar palace. Very interesting, and not expensive.

Dubrovnik: I won't be there until this October, so no comments right now.

Naples: Wow! Choices here! The three "biggees" are Pompeii, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast. We went to Pompeii, and it was fascinating. However, look at my Ephasus comments and then decide.

Venice and Corfu: not until this October!

Katakolon, Mykonos: Never been.

Kusadasi (Ephesus): Esphesus is fabulous. Unlike Pompeii, it still has some of it's marble facades, and the two story library is amazing. Similar to walking Pompeii, but more of a religious emphasis, since this is where Paul was imprisoned and preached.

Hope this helps you.

Jewel Southern Caribbean, and then b2b with the family on the Adventure 12/14. Then, the Equinox and Allure in 2015. Yay!!.

My avatar: Sun Viking circa 1974