Just back from St. Barts

CaribbeanBound

Gustavia, St. Barts / St. Barts / St. Barthelemy

10:00am - 7:00pm. All ports except St. Barts had piers. We anchored in Gustavia Bay and took tenders to Port de Pleasance in Gustavia (which is located directly across from Sunset Hotel on Rue De La Republique on the left side of the harbor. The tender procedure was slow, primarily due to regulations in St. Barts limiting the tender speeds to 3 MPH in the harbor. We were on a 10am tender and got to shore about 10:30am.

Upon arrival we set out on a 35 minute walk across the island to visit the airport and Saint Jean Beach (Baie de St. Jean). To get there, walk to your right (facing the island) until you get to the first cross street (Rue De La Suede) and turn left. Turn left again on the next street (Rue August Nyman). Keep right at each fork. The second intersection is a roundabout with an awesome bronze Indian statue of “Savaku” the Arawak spirit. Turn right here as well. This area is the highpoint of your walk and offers breathtaking views of the airport and west side of Saint Jean Beach. Commuter aircraft (puddle jumpers) begin their landing just 50 feet above your head and must land on a very short looking runway that ends in the ocean. It's lots of fun to watch planes land. They also come in off the ocean but those flights are more fun to watch from St. Jean Beach.

Continue down the road parallelling the airport. Just across from the airport terminal (which has free, clean, modern restrooms on the northern end of the terminal) are a couple of strip malls. The second strip mall has a grocery store where we purchased litres of cold water for 1.35 Euros (about $1.50 US) and a 16-inch sandwich made on an awesome local baguette for 4.75 Euros (about $5.50 US). These prices are 25% to 50% of what you would pay in town. You'll find the sandwiches near the small deli counter in the rear of the store. The sandwiches are very popular and may sell out at lunchtime. The store will take US currency and give you change in Euros.

At the end of the airstrip (about a block past the shops) is an entrance alley to St. Jean Beach. St. Jean Beach is actually 2 beaches separated by Eden Rock, upon which sits a hotel with restaurant and attached "Sand Bar". St Jean is a very pretty beach, with several shops, bars and restaurants, where you can watch planes flying over surfers while landing or taking off at an airport whose runway spills out into the ocean. Don't bother renting chairs and umbrellas here as these command $50 to $100 for a set!

Head back to the ship the same way you came, making a left at the Indian Statue and keeping left at the next intersection. (You'll still get to the port if you make a right at the second intersection --- it'll jut take you a little longer. This same intersection (which has a dialysis/medical center on the corner) is the entrance to the lighthouse and the smaller of two forts guarding the harbor. A very short uphill walk to the fort/lighthouse will reward you with picture-worthy views of the ship, harbor and surrounding area.

Continue down the road, make a right at Rue De La Suede, and you'll find yourself back in Gustavia. From here we meandered through the shops and worked our way to Shell Beach (aka Anse de Grand Galet), the closest beach to the ship and a very easy 10 minute walk --- longer if you linger in the stores. Shell Beach is so named because the beach is covered in small and medium-sized shells. It's a good idea to wear water shoes. The further from the entrance you get, the less crowded you'll find the beach and the more large rocks you'll find where you can leave your towels and "claim your territory". Other than the bar and grill, there is very little shade here.

Notes: 1. The walk to the airport is along a fairly narrow road and can be uneven at times. There are sidewalks from the airport to Saint Jean Beach. Although we never felt in danger you should definitely stay alert to traffic and road conditions. 2. Taxi service from the port to Saint Jean Beach runs $30 to $50 each way. 3. Some passengers rented a car and enjoyed a beautiful day exploring the island and her 14 beaches. 4. Most of the shops, bars and restaurants in town are outrageously expensive and close from 1pm to 3pm. 5. While we enjoyed our visit to this beautiful island, I heard from Celebrity personnel that they may not return due to the logistics and passenger complaints about tendering and absurdly high prices for almost everything from beer to t-shirts.

For pictures of all of the ports please see:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation2.html

• 3 weeks later...

We are planning to visit in two weeks with Celebrity, but from our stop in St Maarten. The line gets you there and picks you up. I think this will be better people wise because there won't be too many of us. They call it "St Barth's On Your Own".

You've got the best info I've found here. Do you know if the taxis will do "island tours"? or how to contact them? I saw someone said you needed to reserve a taxi beforehand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Island tours via taxi are outrageously expensive, and can be arranged at the port. I recommend you rent a car and explore on your own, although I understand and appreciate having a local tell you about their island.

If you're interested in equally detailed ideas at your other ports check out this page: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html where I've detailed our excursions at over 26 ports.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning to visit in two weeks with Celebrity, but from our stop in St Maarten. The line gets you there and picks you up. I think this will be better people wise because there won't be too many of us. They call it "St Barth's On Your Own".

You've got the best info I've found here. Do you know if the taxis will do "island tours"? or how to contact them? I saw someone said you needed to reserve a taxi beforehand.

Thanks

We did a taxi island tour and while we paid a high price, we felt it well worth it. We had a delightful driver/guide, a very comfortable, clean vehicle and he took us all over for about 1 1/2 hours which is exactly what we asked of him. We connected with him near the tender dock. When we got off the tender we walked off on our own for a while and then returned to that area to hire a car and driver. Like always, settle the price in advance of getting in the vehicle.

We did a taxi island tour and while we paid a high price, we felt it well worth it. We had a delightful driver/guide, a very comfortable, clean vehicle and he took us all over for about 1 1/2 hours which is exactly what we asked of him. We connected with him near the tender dock. When we got off the tender we walked off on our own for a while and then returned to that area to hire a car and driver. Like always, settle the price in advance of getting in the vehicle.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Thanks

We're thinking about doing this excursion on our next cruise while in St. Maarten. Would be interested in knowing how others liked this excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

can you tell me what stops did he make and how much was it? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Also considering the "St Barts on your own" from St. M.

Anyone that has done this....please report back. How was it? What did you like? What did you not like? What did you do? Costs, etc.

All info greatly appreciated!

Also considering the "St Barts on your own" from St. M.

Anyone that has done this....please report back. How was it? What did you like? What did you not like? What did you do? Costs, etc.

All info greatly appreciated!

We will be doing this excursion the middle of August .. I'll be glad to report back ... although I think we will just be wandering around .. the excursion doesn't give a lot of time in St. Barts. Jan

We will be doing this excursion the middle of August .. I'll be glad to report back ... although I think we will just be wandering around .. the excursion doesn't give a lot of time in St. Barts. Jan

Hey Jan! Ave a fantastic time and please give us a full report when you get back!

Hugs,

Hey Jan! Ave a fantastic time and please give us a full report when you get back!

Hugs,

Let me say this like this: Don't fool with the excursion. All it involves is the ship arranging a rental car for you and giving you a map. You can accomplish exactly the same thing by just renting a car for the day. It will cost less by probably 50%.

You go wherever you want. We make it a point to stop at 2 - 3 beaches, in St. Jean, and a couple of other places.

All very easy. The roads are crazy narrow, up and down and lots of twists and tunrs but it is a fun way to spend the day.

Let me say this like this: Don't fool with the excursion. All it involves is the ship arranging a rental car for you and giving you a map. You can accomplish exactly the same thing by just renting a car for the day. It will cost less by probably 50%.

You go wherever you want. We make it a point to stop at 2 - 3 beaches, in St. Jean, and a couple of other places.

All very easy. The roads are crazy narrow, up and down and lots of twists and tunrs but it is a fun way to spend the day.

I believe you might have done a different excursion - the one we are doing through Royal Caribbean is "St. Barth's on your own" .. It incudes a boat trip to St. Bart's from St. Martins, and then whatever we decide to do for approximately 4 hours. We don't plan on renting a car .. we will just walk around. Jan

I believe you might have done a different excursion - the one we are doing through Royal Caribbean is "St. Barth's on your own" .. It incudes a boat trip to St. Bart's from St. Martins, and then whatever we decide to do for approximately 4 hours. We don't plan on renting a car .. we will just walk around. Jan

I am planning on doing this same tour with RCCL in October. My main concern is that I will be there on a Sunday, which seems to be when most shops and restaurants are closed. With that in mind I'm wondering what I'll be able to see or do in the couple of hours that I'm there. I'm traveling solo, so I don't plan on hiring a taxi or renting a car. Any suggestions for Sunday activities would be greatly appreciated.

Yes we always anchor at St. Barths and usually overnight there. Have never taken a ferry from St. Martin.

Yes Jan, please report back and let us know how the excursion as well as the ferry ride across was.

Has anyone done the Royal Caribbean 'St Barts on your own' - I am keen to understand the ferry timings. What time roughly are you back at St Martin and is it 4 hours on St Barts or including ferry rides it's 4 hours all up. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone done the Royal Caribbean 'St Barts on your own' - I am keen to understand the ferry timings. What time roughly are you back at St Martin and is it 4 hours on St Barts or including ferry rides it's 4 hours all up. Thanks in advance.

My confirmation from RCCL states that we leave the ship at 9:00 and get back to the ship at 1:00 ... 4 hours including ferry ride. My understanding is the ferry takes about 45 minutes - so there is only approx. 2 1/2 hours in St. Barts -

What I have read is that stores close from 12:00 to 2:30.

We leave on our cruise in 19 days, and when I get back I'll let others know what I think of the RCCL excursion. Jan

If you have 2.5 hours in Saint Barth on a Sunday morning, you have essentially 5 choices:

1- Walk in Gustavia (most shops closed) and find a restaurant that is open. There will be some. Although possibly not many that early.

2- Walk to Shell Beach, hang out there for the couple hours, including brunch at the beach side restaurant. Will be nice.

3- Take a cab to Saint Jean beach and do the same. Larger, more iconic, more glamorous beach, but essentially the same as 2- above. Cab will be ~40-60 euros each way. 5-10 mins ride

4- Take a cab to Salines or Gouverneur (nude) beaches. Hang out there and see why some people think that Saint Barth is special. Large, semi-deserted beaches. No facilities. 15 mins ride by cab. ~60 euros each way.

5- Rent a car and drive around. Seeing all the above and more. ~100 euros for the day.

I've decided I'm going to fly over so I can stay the whole day - 2.5 hours just isn't enough time. Flights are only Aussie $100 more than the RC excursion and I figure I'll spend almost that back in St Martin for the afternoon. I'm coming from Australia and St Barths is the #1 Caribbean island I've always want to go to. I've dreamt about it for years and it's very high on my bucket list. So a flying I shall go! And before anyone says anything, I was in St Maarten 2 years ago so I've ticked that box already.

Edited by RenaeG

If you have 2.5 hours in Saint Barth on a Sunday morning, you have essentially 5 choices:

1- Walk in Gustavia (most shops closed) and find a restaurant that is open. There will be some. Although possibly not many that early.

2- Walk to Shell Beach, hang out there for the couple hours, including brunch at the beach side restaurant. Will be nice.

3- Take a cab to Saint Jean beach and do the same. Larger, more iconic, more glamorous beach, but essentially the same as 2- above. Cab will be ~40-60 euros each way. 5-10 mins ride

4- Take a cab to Salines or Gouverneur (nude) beaches. Hang out there and see why some people think that Saint Barth is special. Large, semi-deserted beaches. No facilities. 15 mins ride by cab. ~60 euros each way.

5- Rent a car and drive around. Seeing all the above and more. ~100 euros for the day.

We will be there on a Monday - so I assume that the shops will be open :) Jan

I've decided I'm going to fly over so I can stay the whole day - 2.5 hours just isn't enough time. Flights are only Aussie $100 more than the RC excursion and I figure I'll spend almost that back in St Martin for the afternoon. I'm coming from Australia and St Barths is the #1 Caribbean island I've always want to go to. I've dreamt about it for years and it's very high on my bucket list. So a flying I shall go! And before anyone says anything, I was in St Maarten 2 years ago so I've ticked that box already.

When you come back from your cruise, could you stop by and let us know how it worked out ... I'm always interested in ideas for the future - thanks, Jan

Renae, I agree with your choice. Do rent a car. Smallest you can find will do fine. I would suggest the following itinerary:

Drive around the island, check out the beaches and vistas. Stop at either Salines or Gouverneur for an hour or two

Lunch at Eden Rock (Sand Bar) -- very glamorous

Hang out on saint jean beach

finish the day strolling through Gustavia

Go back on your plane.