Fly Fishing in Costa Maya

aggie182

I figure this is a long shot but worth asking. Has anyone done any fly fishing in Costa Maya? I am going to start researching the possibility of a DIY walk/wade trip but I am not opposed to booking a guide either. I am not picky on species but I am only considering fly fishing because of the portability of the gear. I don't want to soak bait or fish offshore.

Any direction or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I figure this is a long shot but worth asking. Has anyone done any fly fishing in Costa Maya? I am going to start researching the possibility of a DIY walk/wade trip but I am not opposed to booking a guide either. I am not picky on species but I am only considering fly fishing because of the portability of the gear. I don't want to soak bait or fish offshore.

Any direction or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Good luck, I don't think you are going to find anywhere around to fly fish.

There is absolutely fly fishing in Mahahual. The guy I hear mentioned the most frequently is Nick Denbow, he has a website for the western caribbean fly fishing school but is willing to do all sorts of different things from instructing a beginner to attempting to land a specific fish. I suggest you contact him. I never used him but he gave me great tips on a fly rod for my 6 year old son to use in Mexico. We have a home in the area and have only heard great things.

Thanks for the info. Our trip routes us through Costa Maya, Roatan and Belize City. While I think Roatan may be the most suited for a DIY adventure, I think I have a better chance of getting a go ahead from the wife for Costa Maya.

I with check Nick out and see what he has to offer. Thanks!

• 8 months later...

My son ended up going with nick at age 7 and caught I think 12 fish on a fly (we aren't limited to ship hours and a few were small) he then went out tarpon fishing with him and landed one of those. Nick is truly a great fun person to go out with.

• 1 month later...

The wife and I are planing a trip in March aboard the Carnival Splendor that makes a day stop in Cost Maya. We have fished the Ascension Bay and are wondering if there is fly fishing in Chetumal Bay? Are there day trips available?

Georg