Best times of year for Mediterranean ports

linerode

We are booking a Mediterranean cruise for 2017 and wondering best times of year for Mediterranean cruises. Is there a time of year when they are more prone to storms, and other issues?

Currently looking at September or October. Prices are higher in August so thought that might be peak season.

We are booking a Mediterranean cruise for 2017 and wondering best times of year for Mediterranean cruises. Is there a time of year when they are more prone to storms, and other issues?

Currently looking at September or October. Prices are higher in August so thought that might be peak season.

Well, the Med is big and there are many microclimates. While Sept and october storms may happen in East Spain (called Gota Fría) the sea itself doesn' t have any particular nasty moment. Sometimes the weather is rainny and cold and the sea is smooth and summer days with complicated times.

The Med can be nasty in certain areas any time like the Gulf of Leon due to the tramontana and mistral prevailing wings but the good news is that it's usually fine even in autumn/winter. I usually cruise in november and the normal situation is plenty of chilly sunshine and mild mid days.

You have rainny days and plenty of changes thoughout the route. I recommend onnion clothes easy to put on and off and a light raincoat and shoes. You could be surprised by warm days even in winter.

Personally I would recommend mid June to late September for the best chance of guaranteed good weather. October can be stormy - we had a force 10 gale on our late October Med cruise last year and had 2 wet/cold days on our Med cruise last week - but you would most likely also get some lovely warm and sunny days.

Edited by campolady

I like May and June in the med as it's pleasantly warm and not busy. School hols start in July. There are some different weather systems though - Seville for example can be 30 degrees even in March and by July 45-48. If there is an itinerary you like, take a look at one of those 'monthly average temperature' websites for each port, which will tell you average sun hours/high and low temps/rainfall each month etc. But generally the Med is lovely from spring thru September

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by kirtens

First week of September will almost certainly still be warm or even hot and the kids and vacationing hordes are vastly reduced. I usually like late September early October when it is even quieter and very pleasant if not beach weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums