HC cabins

DonnasMom&Dad

Just a little not regarding HC cabins. My wife and I just booked a HC cabin on the Grand Princess, for the 31 March 2012, yes less than 2 months prior to sailing, this must just about be a first.

It seems like the ADA rules are taking affect, as our TA had to verify, not why I needed this type of cabin, but that I need it.

Cato.

Completed Cruises !

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eatsern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20thcruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier round trip.

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22ndt cruise - Emerald Princess, 10 days, 26 Sep. - 05 Oct. 2012, Canada/New England, New York - Quebec City.

It is my understanding that ADA rules prevent them from asking if you need it or not. However the lines will sometimes canvass people after booking to see if people need them in the event a cabin exchange can be made to accommodate someone who needs one.

I booked an accessible cabin for my elderly mom and I seven weeks from sailing on Celebrity and there were at least 6 or 7 AC cabins to choose from. We were asked to fill out their special needs form asking what equipment we were bringing (wheelchair, scooter, sizes, etc.) and what other features we required ie shower seat, raised toilet seat.

I am assuming that they had recently been released as there were so many to choose from. If you have the flexibility to travel on shorter notice, and you are flexible as to itinerary, it may be something to look into for future trips, although I don't know how much the price had changed compared to if you had booked a year in advance.

Back to packing, we fly out tomorrow!!

It is my understanding that ADA rules prevent them from asking if you need it or not. However the lines will sometimes canvass people after booking to see if people need them in the event a cabin exchange can be made to accommodate someone who needs one.

My understanding is, they can ask if a HC cabin is needed, but they cannot ask why it is needed !!

Cato

Completed Cruises !

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eatsern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20thcruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier round trip.

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

WE booked a HC cabin on the Carnival Conquest last month for an April 1 cruise. Last week, prices went down and we called Carnival and they offered us an upgrade. They gave me a list of HC cabins still availabe and let me pick one that is perfect for us, Midship and just a few feet from the elevator. WE have never had trouble getting a HC room. guess we have just been lucky.

RCCL has a form to be filled out when you book. Needs to know about the wheelchair or scooter you will be using. I for one and glad that they are doing that. I also love the new category they have so you can see what is available and book online.

I think that the cruise lines asking for what you need in the way of accessibility is becoming widespread. It is one way to make sure that a traveler isn't booking the room just to have a bigger room. We had to fill one out for our cruise on Celebrity in January. We also had to fill one out for our upcoming cruise in May on Celebrity.

We are not seasoned travelers, but I know I would be pretty upset if we were not able to book a cruise that we wanted because all the HC rooms were booked but not all of them booked by someone with accessibility needs!

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Solstice - great room - we had two wheelchairs in it (one manual and one motorized) and still had plenty of room.

To-date we have never been asked if we really need a h/c cabin, the closest we have come was some years ago Celebrity having DW sign a questionnaire re the loan of a ship's wheelchair...no it was not a waiver of liability form.

However unwilling to read the whole ADA I posed the cabin question to Candy Harrington by email last evening. Many will recognize Candy as an authority on traveling with disabilities, here is her response that I received this morning:

"They can't ask you to certify or prove your disability, but they can just ask if you require an accessible room. Because of a new law going into effect in March, which requires properties to hold accessible rooms for folks that need them until all other rooms in that category are sold, some may ask you to sign something stating that you do require an accessible room. Basically we call it self-certifying. But they can't really ask the details or nature of your disability. For example, saying that you require a roll-in shower is adequate.

Unfortunately some clerks are not exactly schooled on what they can and can't ask, so some go way over the edge. I'd just stick with the "

I need a roll-in shower" or "I need an accessible room", and if questioned further firmly but politely state that you are not required to disclose the intimate details of your disability. Hope this answers your question. BTW, thanks for the questions -- good blog topic. Some other folks may have this same question.

Candy"

I was told recently that we could book a handicapped cabin if we needed it, but there was absolutely no chance of being upgraded from a handicapped cabin. This was on Princess. I think it was great!!! Evidently some a/b folks were booking the h/c cabins to get more room, and then hoping to be upgraded if h/c people needed them. No more.........

• 2 weeks later...

I would still like to know what prood they needed, as I originally posted. Is there some sort of "I am Handicapped" card that I don't know about? Did medical records need to be produced? Did you have to submit a picture? It was stated that you had to prove you needed it -- saying so isn't proof.

"They can't ask you to certify or prove your disability, but they can just ask if you require an accessible room"

This "law" still does nothing about stopping people from lying to get the HC cabins.

In my opinion they should be able to ask specifics on why you need it and required to get document proof from doctors which they should verify by calling - prior to booking the cabin, and without it too bad no HC cabin for you.

But we all know it will never happen because it violates privacy laws so people will always get away with it and nothing changes making this law pointless.

I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of its why I need the cabin I'm willing to give as much detail as they want.

The following is a notice you have to attest to, if you book on line, otherwise you can not continue to booking!!!

Cato

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ATTESTATION OF NEED FOR ACCESSIBLE CABIN

I attest that I or another person traveling in the same cabin have a recognized disability that alters a major life function and requires the use of a mobility device and the use of the accessible features provided in the wheelchair accessible cabin. Please be advised Princess is required to investigate the potential misuse of accessible cabins where there is good cause to believe such cabins have been purchased fraudulently. Princess will take appropriate action against someone who has reserved or purchased such a cabin fraudulently. Action may include but is not limited to removal from the cabin to a non accessible accommodation up to denial of boarding.

Upon completion of your booking, please contact the Access Office at accessoffice@princesscruises.com to confirm your special needs.

Accept Terms & Continue Select a Non Accessible Stateroom

Archived