Cozumel & Grand Cayman help

mycomputer

Were going in August family of 3, DH, DD 15 and Me, with So many experienced cruisers and repeat customers which do you prefer?? Nachi Cocom or Mr Sanchos our shore time 11a - 8p. DH nervous about either cause they aren't through the Cruise Line, I told him that's why it's doable and NOT so pricey. I read him so many positive post trying to convince him. We did a beach/snorkel on another itinerary on our own and was burned for $100.00 taxi ride alone. (DH will never forget it) :eek:

Itinerary is Grand Cayman & Cozumel which is best for a beach day or shopping?? Any suggestions?? Other things to do/see on your own??

Thank you for the input.

Were going in August family of 3, DH, DD 15 and Me, with So many experienced cruisers and repeat customers which do you prefer?? Nachi Cocom or Mr Sanchos our shore time 11a - 8p. DH nervous about either cause they aren't through the Cruise Line, I told him that's why it's doable and NOT so pricey. I read him so many positive post trying to convince him. We did a beach/snorkel on another itinerary on our own and was burned for $100.00 taxi ride alone. (DH will never forget it) :eek:

Itinerary is Grand Cayman & Cozumel which is best for a beach day or shopping?? Any suggestions?? Other things to do/see on your own??

Thank you for the input.

We have done Mr. Sanchos several times on stops in Cozumel and have really enjoyed it. Since we don't get the all inclusive package, entrance is free. Our family usually sits down at a covered table and order a few sodas.

Since we spend about 2 hours max there ( don't want to get sunburned), we have time to take a taxi to the center for some shopping.

My advice is to always ask the rate and agree on it before getting in any taxi. I believe in Cozumel they have a printed list of prices at the taxi stands, but definitely ask first!

I lived in Grand Cayman and honestly would always recommend a beach day there over shopping unless you looking for jewelry. If you want to shop for jewelry, Kirk Freeport right in Georgetown across from the port is the best.

If you want a cheap beach day in Cayman, then I suggest the public beach. A ride in a taxi minivan should be about $4 per person each way.

If you want something super special, then Rum Point is the way to go. I can't comment on how much it would cost to get there as I always rent a car and drive there.

Natchi com..been there 2 times love it. Included is lunch, all you can drink. Nice pool and hot tub. Wonderful beach lots of hammocks lounge chairs under shade. But if you are looking for something more active this is not the place. There are no water toys or games, just a nice beach and good food!

Thank you for the input.

I haven't been to Grand Cayman YET--but last year at Cozumel, we went to the national park--Chankanaab by taxi. There is a taxi stand at the port with the prices posted. Chankanaab is really beautiful--a great beach for snorkeling. When we left, there were taxis lined up waiting. The taxi system in Cozumel seems legit. Hope that helps a little.

Depends on what you and your gang want:

Mr. Sanchos is lively, has music, water toys, etc.

Nachi Cocom is quiet, peaceful, no music, no water toys.

Other than that they are very similar. My preference is Nachi Cocom. The fact that it stops accepting guests after 100 people means it NEVER gets overcrowded, which is a big plus in my book.

We were at both ports in April.

In Cozumel we did Mr Sanchos. We had a great time, but when we were there, the beach area was being pounded by some pretty good waves. The water wasn't clear as you picture it in the Caribbean. Its the only time we've been there so Im assuming it was just the state of the ocean that day. We ended up moving to the pool which has a swim up bar and tables and stools in the water and it was a blast. I believe they close at 5 (or 6) cant remember but its on their website. You should be able to make it back in plenty of time.

The prices to get there from the port are listed on a board right where you get into the taxi. For the three of you it shouldn't be bad. My only complaint was that we had an 18 month old who put us up to the next price bracket. I didn't think they would charge for him as he was on his mothers lap but they did.

In Grand Cayman we did Nativway Tours for the second time. The tour we chose toured the island, stopped at the rum cake store, Hell, Turtle Farm and then take you out to Stingray Sandbar. Its not a real high class operation but we found it sufficient and had a good time both times we did it.

One thing that happened this year that didn't last, was the ship never had us change our clocks so we were an hour different from island time. We had to make sure to tell our tour guide that and reminded him a couple times. It was BUSY on the roads this year and we were sweating that we wouldn't make it back and end up missing the last tender to the ship, but when we pulled into the port area, the line getting back onto the tenders was LONG so we ended up there in plenty of time.

Thank you for the input.

When I took the Victory to Cozumel in January we did the ATV's and it was really fun. Afterwards they take you to a private beach, forgive me in advance I can't remember the name of the beach. However, on your way back to the ship I highly recommend stopping at one of the little shops and purchase the little mini surfboards. I've attached photos. The guy is simply amazing and he can finish it in 20 minutes or less. He has any team imaginable. I purchased one for my little brother and for myself plus I got my friends to buy them so he gave me a discount on the second one. The pictures don't do it justice.

1642970948_BoardsfromCozumel.jpg.c529d2f02a34833ba9880c3b5ab01e7d.jpg

Royal Palm Grand Cayman! Amazing!!!!!! $4.00 cab ride and $2.00 per adult to enter. Worth every penny in my opinion! The driver tried to let us off at Calico Jacks and I was stern and said NOPE! All beaches are the same he said. I did my reviews and I knew what I wanted and am 100% happy with where we went. No beach will EVER be the same!

142.jpg.c7a8247ba07932ca9d09657c10fc71aa.jpg

The taxi system in Cozumel seems legit.

You misspelled "Utterly Terrifying".

My last cab ride in Cozumel, 5:30 am, very hung over, and the driver was talking on one phone, texting on another and flying down the road. She acted like she didnt understand english, and was more than a bit miffed that I speak espanol and asked her to focus on one thing at a time.

If you like snorkeling, we loved Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. It's literally a 5 min. Walk from where you come into port. Super inexpensive and the snorkeling was awesome! Planning our next cruise now and definitely making plans to return! edenrockdive.com

Cozumel is one port where I would never pay for an excursion through the cruiseline. The taxis (official) have set prices and are very reliable and it's very easy to get where you need to be. Pick the resort that best suits your tastes (we've done Paradise Beach twice), get in a taxi, and go. Just make sure you stay on ship's time and give yourself plenty of time to get back and it will be fine.

Grand Cayman is the opposite. Unless you just want to shop, pick an excursion. The stingrays are always fun if you've never experienced that. Last year we did the a Land & Sea tour with a bit of everything and we really enjoyed it.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

If you like snorkeling, we loved Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. It's literally a 5 min. Walk from where you come into port. Super inexpensive and the snorkeling was awesome! Planning our next cruise now and definitely making plans to return! edenrockdive.com

Is this to the right of the pier when you're getting off the tender? Someone had told me about a great place to snorkel (and inexpensive, too) but I never heard a name.

Pick the resort that best suits your tastes (we've done Paradise Beach twice), get in a taxi, and go.

We've done Paradise Beach three times and it's one of our favorite go-to spots. When our kids were teens, they loved the water toys. There seems to be something for everybody.

nachi was nice and quiet in feb.very clear water .food and drinks great.taxi were around $16 each way.passion island is a other option.or maybe take a ferry to playa del Carmen .more shops but prices go up when the cruise ships are in port

Is this to the right of the pier when you're getting off the tender? Someone had told me about a great place to snorkel (and inexpensive, too) but I never heard a name.

Yep...just hang right...can't miss it! You are actually snorkeling right out by the cruise ship...who would have thought it would be so great:)!

IMHO Coz is a better choice for a beach day - lots of beach clubs lined up; read the reviews and choose the one that fits your desires/budget.

In GC we have twice enjoyed doing the stingray and snorkel tour with Moby Dick tours - great service and an un-crowded boat. :D After the tour if you want they will drop you off at one of the beach stops where you can relax for a while before cabbing back to the port.

I have read that Nachi is more for adults who want a quiet relaxing beach day. Since you have a teen you might want to do one of the others that were mentioned. That is the reason I chose Sanchos, I had 3 teens with me.

Cozumel is one of those ports that is just so simple to do on your own and have no worries.

We have been to both Nachi and Sanchos. I have complete reviews in my signature line and both have TONS of pictures so you'll be able to "take a look around" and see if one strikes you better than the other as wanting to do. (I also have other places listed too if you're interested or have time). :)