The "C" word.....Advice?

devinc

My mother-in-law was diagosed with cancer today. She will have a mass removed next week and I am set to cruise on the Rhapsody with my wife, mother-in-law and father in 6 weeks. No insurance was purchased. Booked w/ a online site. Can I reschedule? I dont really know if it matters but what are my options? Credit? Nothing? Thanks.

I don't think you have much recourse. Of course, if you cancel now, you will not lose as much as if you wait. However, I know you will lose your deposit and probably another half of what is left after the deposit. It's a shame you didn't get insurance, we always do, because you never know.

You probably don't have much recourse. However, did you book with a TA? Maybe they can plead your case with the cruiseline. In the past the cruiselines seemed to look at this on a case by case basis. It's worth a shot. Maybe your TA can sell your cabin at this last minute.

Let us know how it turns out for you. Hopefully, all will work out for you and your mother in law.

I don't know how extensive the surgery will be, but it's possible that you may still be able to enjoy your cruise. My SIL had breast cancer and her surgery was last week. Less than a week later and she's doing fantastic! Here's hoping your MIL will come through with flying colors!

IF you still have to cancel, do try to reschedule for another time. A call to the agency, or e-mail, might clear up some of those questions. Good luck!

Sailing in 6 weeks means that you have already made final payment, and are now under the cruise line's very exacting and enforced cancellation policies. Without trip insurance, I'm not sure that even a really good TA would be able to do anything for you. Please keep in mind that the longer you wait to cancel, the more money you will lose. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and best of luck to you!

I have paid in full. 2 cabins. Thanks for your response and I hope you are right about wanting/needing to get away. Please know, it's not all about the $. I just want options (if any).

Can I give it away/change names? Thanks again for the encouragement and prayers.

I would at least call RCCL, they aren't totally inhuman. Explain the situation and ask if there is any way that you can reschedule the cruise. It's worth the call, the worst they can say is no, and you might be surprised with a much happier ending.

My prayers are with all of you. We've dealt with cancer in our family too, a positive attitude for both the patient and the family is 90% of the battle. A relaxing vacation in 6 weeks may do all of you a world of good. I'd talk with her physician, explain that it is not for selfish reasons as you stated, they understand that things in life have been planned and you need some guidance on how to proceed.

All the best to you and your family.

It really depends on the type of surgery that your MIL will be having. I am a cancer nurse...not every surgery takes months and months to recover. Ask your MIL what she would like to do. A cruise is a great place to sit back and relax. (just be sure to ask the physician if it is ok- it depends on the surgery) Cancer is a chronic disease. Surgery is just the beginning a lot of the time. It is important to take family time for yourselves. Good luck to you and your family.

Just happen to read this yeasterday.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=87

Can't remember the penalty of 6 weeks out but seems next cut off is 4 weeks out. See what happens before the next penalty phase. Just make sure you know the exact date before it passes without you knowing.

You can't stop life for cancer. Brother in law is getting married in 10 weeks dispite struggeling with recovering from the affects of cemo for lukemia. Spending at least 40% of his time in the hospital for this ailment or that. So far the wedding is still on even though he is 6'2 161 pounds, patchy hair & shedding skin. Cancer wins when you stop living.

Goodluck & God Bless,

Dawna

6 weeks may turn out to be a very good time to travel as several have said. The surgery may very well be the first step in treatment. The next step occurs after the site is well healed. 6 weeks after surgery may turn out to be perfect.

She won't be able to travel during radiation treatment and too great a risk of infection during chemo. Then again, depending on the surgery, she may not need anything else.

You will know a lot more once the surgery is over. Speak with the physician - hopefully he or she will look at the whole picture with you and you can all make the decision together.

Our thoughts are with you.

No insurance was purchased. Booked w/ a online site. Can I reschedule? I dont really know if it matters but what are my options? Credit? Nothing? Thanks.
In December, I was injured. Had a cruise scheduled two weeks later on another line, but was unable to go.

The cruise line's attitude was no insurance, nothing could be done. The entire fare was forfeited.

My heart was really warmed by some posts. Thank you as I needed those kind words. Here is what I found out FYI:

• $250 lost per person if we cancel 45-30 days out.
  • 50% per person lost if 29 - 8 days out
  • Within a week of sailing, the whole amount is lost.
  • A name change can be done for $35 pp.

devinc..... First let me say i'm sorry to hear about the bad news.

Second...I know what you are going through. Trust me. Just last week my MIL had surgery to remove a tumor from her neck and here it is 8 days later and she's up and walking and doing just fine. We just took her to the docs this morning and she is doing great. She goes back on fri. to have her staples removed.

I guess what i'm trying to say here is go on your cruise. Don't cancel. She should be fine by then :)

If you do have any concerns just ask the doctor and see what they have to say. I hope this helps.

God Bless :D

~~Debbie~~

My heart was really warmed by some posts. Thank you as I needed those kind words. Here is what I found out FYI:

• $250 lost per person if we cancel 45-30 days out.
  • 50% per person lost if 29 - 8 days out
  • Within a week of sailing, the whole amount is lost.
  • A name change can be done for $35 pp.

Those figures are not correct. check your brochure.

I have just run into something simular with our travel compainions. They are having to cancel and we are about 6 weeks out. RCCL said that if he canceled he would loose his deposit but he can reschedule and loose nothing....Just a thought.... good luck

I am a breast cancer survivor. After my mastectomy I was out and about in 4 weeks, so I think a cruise for your MIL will be perfect. Have you talked to her to see how she feels about going on the cruise?? She may be all for it.

If not, you can beg RC to have pity on you and rescedule the trip without losing money, but I don't know if that will work. Bottom line is....always get insurance as you never know what will happen.

August 17th 1998 I was shocked to learn that I had breast cancer - had surgery on Sept 23 and was back in my kindergarten classroom 2nd week of Nov (little over 6 weeks from surgery). I was going nuts at home and although a little slower than normal was glad to get back to doing things. The cruise may be the best thing for her especially if she has to face more treatment (chemo etc) - good family time and relaxing time out of the 4 walls of the house. Talk to the doctors and get their opinions. The you'll have info to make a decision.

Good luck - my prayers are with you.

Lois

Davinc, I hope the surgery goes well and your MIL recovers in time to go on the cruise.

Here's another thought: Is this an "all or nothing" proposition in that either all 4 of you go or none of you go? Obviously, if your MIL is critically ill, your wife will probably want to stay close to her, but if she's just not up for the trip from exhaustion or treatment, couldn't the two of you go and maybe recruit some close friends to take the other cabin? I should think your MIL would want you to go and not lose the opportunity for a short getaway.

I think it definitely depends on the site of the problem and the physician would be an able judge in this matter. Unless I have missed it, the poster has not identified the site. I am assuming that there is no flying involved in getting to the ship. Sometime there are restrictions on flying because of pressure problems. I agree that having the cruise to look forward to would be a definite plus in the recovery. Wishing a speedy recovery with desired results.

14 days or less no refund! 45 to 15 days, You will loose 50% of the price you paid. So if You are not comfortable with going on the cruise, don't wait, call your TA immediately. So sorry to hear about the illness in your family and my heart goes out to you. This happened to us back in 1998. My husband had a heart attack 2 weeks before the cruise and We had no insurance. Had cruised many times before without incident and stupidly continued not to buy travel insurancee for the cruise. We learned the hardway. Our TA could not help us and RCCL stuck to their policy. I had secured letters and documents from Our Dr. and hospital and got no where even with proof with RCCL. We even asked if We could change the date. Answer was "NO"!

So since 1998, We now buy travel insurance. We cruise 2 or 3 times a year and one never knows what is around the corner for us. Good Luck, maybe you will be luckier than us and RCCL will do something for you. Do buy insurance next time. Ike

First I am very sorry about your MIL illness and wish you all the very best. I agree, recovery and treatment can depend on what kind of cancer it is.

For others. These posts are a good reminder to all of two things.

Have a TA that knows you and your likes/dislikes and that strongly encourages the purchase of travel insurance.

There is a very good reason that the cruiseline and responsible travel agents offer travel insurance. For those contemplating insurance try

http://www.insuremytrip.com Many companys and policy options. It's not that expensive.

To the OP, best wishes.

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL's cancer. We've dealt with 5 cancers in our family circle (friends included) in the past 8 years, and we know how hard it is on everyone.

I'm afraid that your recourse with RCI is as everyone has said. The cancellation policies are quite firm, and I do understand why. If they made an exception for every case like yours, then they might as well not have the policy to begin with. Lest you think me a heartless wench, I'm not at all unsympathetic to your situation; it's just that I'm looking at it from RCI's point of view.

First, I think you should talk to your MIL and her doctor (if she will allow it) to see if there is a possibility of her wanting to go and being well enough to do it. If she is enthusiastic and her doctor says okay, it might be just the thing. Something positive in the midst of a health crisis could be healthy in many ways for the entire family. We've learned the hard way that it's not always best to put things off until another time. In fact, it's possible that your MIL may say, "Well, I won't be able to go, but I really want you all to take the cruise and enjoy it to the fullest."

I wish you and your family all the best, now and in the future.

beachchick

Archived