Who wears Speedo's on their cruise?

WinnieinWA

You have a very keen eye for the obvious.

After reading most comments here. I see that most of you (females) are offended of what us guys wears.. And thinking that im stuck up on myself.. Whatever that means... Im so sorry you feel that way. Since im only taking cruises once a yr now. I guess Ill start going on adult and all gay cruises for now on, that way I wont offend some women and kids.. to which there wont be any on those cruises.. At least Speedos are more accepted there.

I have a speedo one piece bathing costume that I wear every day to go to the local pool to do my lenghts. It has good bust support and keeps my tummy in.

Why all the abuse for people who wear the speedo brand?

I think it's more the male "banana hamock" type Speedo they are talking about. Not necessarily the Speedo brand itself! Think Fat hairy guy in a tiny, revealing, tight bikini brief.

David, I would never take photos of strangers unknown to them. I find that an invasion of privacy. On another message board/ forum that has a long running topic about this with many pics people had taken of people they did not know I complained to the mods about that thread. They saw nothing wrong with it-but I wonder if someone recognized themselves and sued them- if they would see things differently.

You need to realize, as a rule (always exceptions) men and women see things differently. Most men enjoy seeing unknown women's endowments exposed, but many women do not want to see how well endowed some male stranger is. If it is her lover in privacy, yes, that is different-but John Doe on the beach-no.

What all people need to realize, on cruises there are many children. That is why I find it inappropriate by the pool. You are in close proximity. On the beach, parents can take their family further away. It is hard to do that on a cruise ship.

FYI it is not illegal to take and post pictures of people. I can take take picture of whoever and whatever I want. meanning if I am in a park taking a picture and you think I am taking one of your child you can not assault me or yell at me or doing anything else as you are in the wrong. We own some nice camera gear and often go to a local park on the water and walk the edge and take scenery shots. We have had people say something to us. And there kids were no where near our shots. They just think we are bad people for having a big camera. We use that area to test lenes and such. Also I will walk around it for exercise . And this is not a park with a swingset or anything more a open area of grass and trees. And another note. There is no proof that a terrorist has ever taken pictures of buildings for marks either. With so many pictures on the internet who needs to. So it is not illegal to take pictures of buildings either.

That off my chest. I think taking a picture of a person with the sole reason is to post and make fun of them is wrong. On the topic of ' speedos" int he traditional sense. I think they are not attractive on anyone period. I understand they are very European. There are very few men who can wear them and not look like they are wearing something that does not fit properly. But I will also say Ion my recent cruise I noticed too many women wearing Bikinis that had no business. the had rolls and stuff in the wrong place. So my thought on speedos is like a Bikini very few can wear them right and only those should be the ones wearing them

V. People can be photographed if they are in public (without their consent) unless they have secluded themselves and can expect a reasonable degree of privacy. Kids swimming in a fountain? Okay. Somebody entering their PIN at the ATM? Not okay.

http://content.photojojo.com/tips/legal-rights-of-photographers/

I have read all of the "Freudian" messages for and against the wearing of speedos. Those who rail against them for fat men fail to see that baggy swimsuits also cinch the waist and pooch out the love handles and belly. I would say that, from a purey objective viewpoint, a speedo is MORE flattering to an out of shape guy than a pair of shorts. Anyone who is the subject of ridicule for wearing a speedo because of weight or physical condition is equally objectionable in a pair of board shorts.

Most of the "ewww!" comments seem to come from females.

The thing that the speedo critics must recognize is that the person wearing a speedo ( except for Europeans and Russians and people on the Black Sea) is feeling exotic doing so. The women expressing disdain for men wearing speedos, I would posit, feel excited and exotic when wearing a bikini. They certainly spend lots of time picking their swim attire and making their statement. So, why not recognize that men should have the option of enjoying that same energizing feeling? As for the expressed disdain at the ability to see a "bulge" I say, look at the womens' swimsuits, which mostly show all major and minor bodily curvatures and the fact that women all know that men have different areas of curvature, and therefore a sleek, objectively nice looking garment should not provoke negative reactions in a perfect world.

• 3 months later...

As a male who is 6 feet tall but weighs in at 150 lbs, I have learned that skinny guys look (as well as feel) worse in baggie shorts than in a speedo. If you're skinny the baggy shorts make you look disproportional, while the speedos look sleek and minimize your thinness. Actually I think this should apply to some degree to heavier guys, because seeing a paunch overhanging the waistband of board shorts can be no more dyspeptic than seeing a fat guy in a pair of briefs. It's also about some sort of irrational hang-up n the socially correct rules of North American social culture!

My "cash and prizes" are awesome (ask WxNerd), but are happy to hide out in a pair of board shorts. I'm not European enough to pull it off. All I can think of is the movie Couple's Retreat and "boom."

So yeah.....

If I see a guy who looks relatively fit in speedos I think he must be an avid swimmer. If I see a guy who looks "un-fit" (beer belly or something) I think he must be European. I don't care either way what other men wear. Also, Asian men wear speedos, but Asians are into wearing professional gear no matter what they are doing (running, tennis, swimming, biking, etc.) even if they don't do it very often. Speedos are what "swimmers" wear and I am sure is their preference.

I remember a photo of Prince William on the internet of him in speedos. It is no big deal to those who swim as a sport.

Edited by angelndscz

• 3 weeks later...
If I see a guy who looks relatively fit in speedos I think he must be an avid swimmer. If I see a guy who looks "un-fit" (beer belly or something) I think he must be European. I don't care either way what other men wear. Also, Asian men wear speedos, but Asians are into wearing professional gear no matter what they are doing (running, tennis, swimming, biking, etc.) even if they don't do it very often. Speedos are what "swimmers" wear and I am sure is their preference.

I remember a photo of Prince William on the internet of him in speedos. It is no big deal to those who swim as a sport.

What about us that "arent" professional swimmers but is fit to wear one? Its sad that us guys have to have a "excuse" to wear certain clothing and women can wear whatever they want with any body type. BTW, the pic is me taken Mar 25th 2012.

IMG_20120324_163321.jpg.87421f284a9381b83ccbc5d94c5c7339.jpg

• 3 months later...

Saw this thread as I was watching the Olympic men's 400 IM qualifying on TV. Well, quite a few nice specimens wearing Speedos right now :D

At the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, the organizing committee had two nude statues sculpted to put outside the Coliseum. The female nude model was a long jumper and the male nude model was a water polo player, both local athletes. I had seen him before at college water polo matches and he indeed looked mighty fine in that Speedo :p

Of non-swimming Americans wearing Speedos on cruise ships: Most likely the same men we see on the "People of Walmart" You Tube videos ;)

Edited by slidergirl

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!:eek:

Actually, the lower part of that swimsuit is being worn today.. Look at some of the Olympic swimmers.. Its called "Jammers".. It still reveals the same areas of body as a speedo, except it covers the legs down to knees, because men today are afraid to show there thighs because Society thinks its the new male sex organ.. :rolleyes:

Actually, the lower part of that swimsuit is being worn today.. Look at some of the Olympic swimmers.. Its called "Jammers".. It still reveals the same areas of body as a speedo, except it covers the legs down to knees, because men today are afraid to show there thighs because Society thinks its the new male sex organ.. :rolleyes:

My boys have all swam on teams, and they have all worn jammers. My 12-year-old just finished his first summer of competitive swimming and declared tonight as we swam in his grandma's pool, "I love my jammer! I'm never wearing a regular swimsuit again." When my older boys competed, they would wear board shorts or basketball shorts over their jammers until they got to the starting block, then drop trou (so to speak) and swim their heat, putting the shorts back on afterwards. They still wear their jammers under their regular suits. I think it gives more support and protects against chafing. Shrug. I don't mind Speedos either. YMMV.

Robin

Yep, the swimmers are wearing the knee-pants... BUT, my favorites, the water polo players, are still true to the orignial Speedo. I'd think they'd switch to the jammers - less chance of the opponent trying to pull at the suit (yes, they try to tug at your suit!!) when it's tight all the way to the knees.

My boys have all swam on teams, and they have all worn jammers. My 12-year-old just finished his first summer of competitive swimming and declared tonight as we swam in his grandma's pool, "I love my jammer! I'm never wearing a regular swimsuit again." When my older boys competed, they would wear board shorts or basketball shorts over their jammers until they got to the starting block, then drop trou (so to speak) and swim their heat, putting the shorts back on afterwards. They still wear their jammers under their regular suits. I think it gives more support and protects against chafing. Shrug. I don't mind Speedos either. YMMV.

Robin

When they wear "shorts over shorts" that means there self concious and embarrassed. Its just way society is today.. Peer pressure and everything else. Reason is tight clothing on guys is labeled as "gay" by young people today.. Im sorry if that bothers some, but its true. I wear tight clothing (Speedos) ...So I can say it.. LOL.

When they wear "shorts over shorts" that means there self concious and embarrassed. Its just way society is today.. Peer pressure and everything else. Reason is tight clothing on guys is labeled as "gay" by young people today.. Im sorry if that bothers some, but its true. I wear tight clothing (Speedos) ...So I can say it.. LOL.

David:

Some of the people here are very mean to others concerning what they wear and how much they weigh, and how old they might be, and even make fun of those with disabilities. How sad is that?

They drive others crazy with their narrow-mindedness. The women are afraid to take a swim or sun-bathe because they do not look like a super-model, or have some surgical scars, or be wrinkly.

The men are not quite as self-conscious, but if any read this thread, they sure as heck would be!

If they want to fuss about clothes, complain about those unwashed heathens who wear obscene tee-shirts & backwards baseball caps over hair that has never been washed for formal night. Or some "hot" chickie who "forgot" her underwear under a chainmail dress!

Wear your Speedo, you look great!

• 2 years later...

I prefer Brazilian Songgas to Speedos since they're more squared off and popular in Rio especially for large framed men. I think Americans should cut down on the violence and high fructose corn syrup and relax about tiny swim suits, at least people are clothed unlike parks in Berlin during summer.

I find it annoying for people to call "men's swim briefs" speedos when there are many namebrand swim briefs. It just shows ignorance. Swim briefs are the most common swimwear for men outside of North America. I lived in Asia for 5 years and the majority there still wear briefs over trunks although trunks are picking up in popularity in the college age crowd. Mainly because they like to wear the same gear that pro-athletes wear. Even if a family is going bicycling they wear gear like the pro's. For someone swimming for fitness, you want the proper fitting swimwear to swim laps. A former boss of mine competed in body building competitions and he would run in his swim briefs on his lunch break because it could kill two birds with one stone running and increasing his tan at the same time. :p

... now where is the 11 page thread making fun of women in swimwear that does not look good on them?

Edited by angelndscz

I find it annoying for people to call "men's swim briefs" speedos when there are many namebrand swim briefs. It just shows ignorance. Swim briefs are the most common swimwear for men outside of North America. I lived in Asia for 5 years and the majority there still wear briefs over trunks although trunks are picking up in popularity in the college age crowd. Mainly because they like to wear the same gear that pro-athletes wear. Even if a family is going bicycling they wear gear like the pro's. For someone swimming for fitness, you want the proper fitting swimwear to swim laps. A former boss of mine competed in body building competitions and he would run in his swim briefs on his lunch break because it could kill two birds with one stone running and increasing his tan at the same time. :p

... now where is the 11 page thread making fun of women in swimwear that does not look good on them?

In reading this thread backwards, I just happened to run across a previous post of yours in which you referred to men's swim briefs as speedos four times.:confused:

When we sailed on Allure, there was a young college age guy that was participating in the Best of the Best Flowrider competition at the end of the cruise. He started out with swim trunks, but stripped down to hot pink Speedos to everyone's surprise! He got tons of cheers. But then again he was 6' tall and athletic.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while - let's rip the band aid off this one.

Society, in large part, seems to embrace the phrase, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Everyone has personal preferences - and then there are societal norms. Some expected/accepted behaviors are based on hard & fast rules and some are based on preference. Those based on preference are the ones I love to challenge.

When it comes to barely there swimwear, regardless of shape, size, age, gender, or how woolly one may be, half the populous will love it, half will hate it, and the other half simply won't care either way. (I know those are three halves :D)

As some have stated, it comes down to what the individual is comfortable with and how well they handle any attention they may receive.

I'm one who loves to push the envelope. If it's not illegal or immoral, I'm more prone to give it a try than not.

As for brief swimwear, yes, I'm that guy. I know there will come a time when I should probably make a more modest selection but I don't need society to tell me when that might be. I'll be quite content to decide that for myself. :cool:

Rep