Flying into Ft. Lauderdale, sailing out of Miami

Kayelache

It's $100 cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale rather than Miami for us from Phoenix. We will be flying in on Saturday, sailing outfrom Miami port on Sunday. A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Crown Plaza in Ft. Lauderdale before a cruise, but then we were sailing from there. How far is it from there to the Miami port? Would it make more sense to get a hotel in Miami? Also, getting from the airport (FLL) to the hotel is no problem, as I think, they have a shuttle. How would you suggest getting to Miami port? Would it make more sense to rent a car at the Ft. Lauderdale airport, drive to the hotel, then the next morning drive to the Miami airport and some get from there to the port? We're not sailing until October, but with the rising gas prices, I'd like to lock in the airfare.

We have found flying onto FLL is always cheaper than flying into MIA. We usually take a shuttle from the hotel to the port. Last year I believe it ran $13 per person plus tip. I think the name of the shuttle service is S & S. You can find it on the board here somewhere.

It would really depend on how many people are traveling. if you were already planning on the hotel stay and transportation, I think the cost savings are worth it.

If the $100 savings is per person I'd say it's definitely worth it. If that is total savings then maybe not.

We did the same thing and a car rental worked great for us. We stayed at a Miami airport hotel. Most of the major rental companies have a free shuttle to the port when you return the car to the Miami airport.

Your hotel is a little north of the airport, and I personally would prefer not to go further away from the port, but the distance is not significant. A bigger factor might be whether the hotel charges for parking. If you choose to rent, you might want to choose a hotel with free parking or take the airport shuttle back the next morning and rent the car then. If you choose to shuttle, SAS is the most popular on these boards, with some other well-liked companies too.

It's $100 cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale rather than Miami for us from Phoenix. We will be flying in on Saturday, sailing outfrom Miami port on Sunday. A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Crown Plaza in Ft. Lauderdale before a cruise, but then we were sailing from there.

How far is it from there to the Miami port? 40 minute ride

Would it make more sense to get a hotel in Miami? Arriving late, I would stay near FLL. Arriving early - your choic. In general, with many exceptions, hotles in the FLL area are cheaper than comparable hotels in Miami

Also, getting from the airport (FLL) to the hotel is no problem, as I think, they have a shuttle. How would you suggest getting to Miami port? SAS, QLS, and Go Airport Shuttle will get you to POM and back to FLL after your cruise for about $15+ per person each way.

Would it make more sense to rent a car at the Ft. Lauderdale airport, drive to the hotel, then the next morning drive to the Miami airport and some get from there to the port? We're not sailing until October, but with the rising gas prices, I'd like to lock in the airfare.

Renting a car makes sense if there are 3+ in your group and you don't plan on staying in downtown Miami or Miami Beach (parking fees! :(). National, Thrifty & Alamo offer free shuttles from MIA to POM.:cool:

Good luck! :)

We are coming in on Apr 3 at midnight four us with alot of luggage (crusin does take alot of luggage) and staying at a hotel near FLL cruiseport. We need to take cab also from hotel to cruiseport and on return from cruiseport to FLL intl airport.

I know this questions has been asked alot and please be patient and if you could give me names of cab companies (reputable) and if they could accomodate all of us plus luggage in one cab and what aprox costs would be.

Does one prebook or just walk out of airport and flag a cab or call a cab. At hotel, get hotel conceigre to get a cab and from cruiseport call a cab or flag a cab.

I noted that there is a groupon coupon for Luximar services ..........for luggage. Most prob even with groupon cheaper with cab.

Sorry but I sure could use some assistance. Thanks

No need to prebook a cab - just walk out from the baggage claim area and there will be a line of cabs waiting for you. With 4 plus bags you'll need an SUV or minivan style cab (same price) - you may need to wait a minute or two for one to come to the front of the line.

At the hotel the front desk or someone there can call a cab for you.

At the port it's the same as at the airport; a long line of cabs, just wait fro one big enough for your group when you're at the front of the line -- it moves very quickly. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
All of these questions are asked daily here.

Most of the saved $100 will be eaten up by transport to and from Miami. More if you take a cab at $85 each way. So saving $100 probably doesn't justify flying into FLL.

You actually can save a lot of money by flying into FLL. Use RideSAS and from FLL to Port of Miami or Miami hotels, they charge $13 per person if you have 4 or more, less than 4 and the cost is $15 p.p. so it is possible to save some money. Now, we always fly into FLL for our Port of Miami cruises, and really not that hard even at the airport to find people to split the cost with.

Archived