Visa Gold card Travel Insurance

Has anybody experience with this insurance?

It is provided for free when travel is purchased on the card. Because have medication for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and reflux, paid $ 50 for pre-existing condition. I am 59 years old.

According to their policy I am covered for trip cancellation, medical expenses (including transport, lifting of ship etc.) lost luggage and all the usual travel incidents.

But it looks almost too good to be true, because if I took a policy through my bank (ASB) the same policy would cost me $559.

So, should I be worried, or have I been savy:confused:

Waheakean

We have a similar scheme with our gold Amex card which includes travel insurance cover if we pay for the cruise with the card. We have not had to claim yet but from other posts on this board from people that have claimed they have not had any trouble at all.

John

We have similar insurance with our credit card and have claimed once on it with no problems at all.

There is sometimes a time limit on your travel, so check that out, some are 35 days some 120 days and some are unlimited depending on the card. (Length of trip time).

Enjoy your cruise.:)

We have used our CC travel Insurance and we were so impressed with the service.

I had the misfortune to get very sick on a cruise last year and racked up a nice medical bill on board. Hubby sent the claim in as soon as we got home and the money for the claim was in our account in 7 days:D. Excellent service

I had the misfortune to get very sick on a cruise last year and racked up a nice medical bill on board. Hubby sent the claim in as soon as we got home and the money for the claim was in our account in 7 days:D. Excellent service

Always nice to hear positive outcomes of claims on cc travel insurance, Lizzy.

We have similar insurance with our credit card and have claimed once on it with no problems at all.

There is sometimes a time limit on your travel, so check that out, some are 35 days some 120 days and some are unlimited depending on the card. (Length of trip time).

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Thank you!

Yes, they made it clear it was for 90 days. So, did it after final payment.

Phew! That is a relief. Had indeed noticed over time that the Americans had good results with CC insurance. But it is great to know that the service down under is as good.

Thanks everyone! Have safe travels.:)

I just rang visa about free travel insurance with a gold card. They gave me the number of Chubb insurance who are the actual insurance company, they are emailing me out the policy, but on questioning about pre existing conditions she said there is no variation available to cover this and what the policy says is all you get.

Has anybody experience with this insurance?

It is provided for free when travel is purchased on the card. Because have medication for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and reflux, paid $ 50 for pre-existing condition. I am 59 years old.

According to their policy I am covered for trip cancellation, medical expenses (including transport, lifting of ship etc.) lost luggage and all the usual travel incidents.

But it looks almost too good to be true, because if I took a policy through my bank (ASB) the same policy would cost me $559.

So, should I be worried, or have I been savy:confused:

this is an extract from visa gold card travel insurance. The person on the phone said to me you can't pay extra to cover pre existing conditions. What you see is what you get.i,m only quoting what she said, not calling you a liar.

We will not pay for claims caused directly or indirectly out of:

1 2

Any pre-existing medical condition of yours, a relative or travel companion that may give rise to a claim.

Any health related treatment costs, including dental; medical; surgical; hospital; ambulance; and nursing home expenses incurred in Australia or in any other location where Australia’s Private Health Insurance Act 2007 (or equivalent legislation) is deemed to apply.

Phew! That is a relief. Had indeed noticed over time that the Americans had good results with CC insurance. But it is great to know that the service down under is as good.

Thanks everyone! Have safe travels.:)

just wanted to add my two cents, I had gold card insurance through my bnz visa a few years ago and was mugged and injured in Naples. I was a little concerned about what would happen but when i returned and lodged the claim, the insurance company couldnt have handled it better. They paid on everything they said they would in the claim including the translation service of the police report and I couldnt have been happier. I continue to use the credit card insurance, but pay an extra premium now through choice to cover my replaced watch.

read the policy carefully and if it covers your requirements I say go for it..its saved me a lot of money over the years.

Thank you!

Yes, they made it clear it was for 90 days. So, did it after final payment.

That means the length of your trip not to payment date ;) so can be away from NZ for up to 90 days, with full coverage.

Just to add for you I am also kiwi, I know some here are Australian and they may have different policies with their Credit Card.

Our coverage is with Chartis on our card and we always carry a contact number with us which your Credit Card company can give you, then you can call if you need any advice.

Generally unless it is a huge amount we are talking about, there is no need to call them and get permission. Example you need a Doctor and the bill is under $500 but it is worth you checking what requirements you need by giving them a quick call.

Happy Cruising :)

This is just my opinion.....for us this insurance is perfect if travelling in Oz or NZ, as Medicare is always a backup for pre-existing in both countries, but we found (like dyi dave) that the non coverage for pre-existing is too risky to go without elsewhere in the world. Also a risk if you have to get back home from afar, re an elderly parent for example.....who more than likely do have pre-existing conditions themselves.

I prefer to pay a bit more, travel with peace of mind, not having to think 'what if'.

Comes down to the fact that travel insurance needs to be purchased for individual needs...cos simply we all have different needs/situations.

Make sure the coverage for medical is also for your individual pre-existing, and get it in writing before paying up.

It appears that the Australians don't get the same coverage as us kiwi's.

I have just checked and yes ours will cover pre existing conditions for extra payment.

Just to check, I got a quote for our trip coming up in Jan 13, for 56 days out of NZ.

The quote from the same company Chartis was NZ$756 to cover two of us.

The credit card coverage is exactly the same policy.

It appears that the Australians don't get the same coverage as us kiwi's.

I have just checked and yes ours will cover pre existing conditions for extra payment.

Just to check, I got a quote for our trip coming up in Jan 13, for 56 days out of NZ.

The quote from the same company Chartis was NZ$756 to cover two of us.

The credit card coverage is exactly the same policy.

That's it then, I,m moving to NZ. Ha ha. It makes you wonder how and why these companies can't cover the same in both countries.

The insurance in NZ is underwritten by Southern Cross and does cover for pre-existing conditions, but only after extra payment. (in my case $50) Also have that in writing.

They provided a card with phone numbers to take with me.

Great to hear another success story Roscoe39.

Makes it worth to pay the higher yearly admin fee on the Gold card.:)

That's it then, I,m moving to NZ. Ha ha. It makes you wonder how and why these companies can't cover the same in both countries.

We are with you there.....Waiheke Island here we come:D

Archived