port-of-call excursion recommendations: Cozumel/Progresso

I've heard it is best to avoid booking a cruise line's own shore excursions (?) If that is true, would anyone care to recommend a good local snorkeling excursion at Cozumel and a Mayan ruins tour at Progresso?

We're cruising on the Grandeur of the Seas out of Tampa with our Sunday school group on 01/21/08

Your advice and comments are always welcome...

Finetooner

I've heard it is best to avoid booking a cruise line's own shore excursions (?) Your advice and comments are always welcome...

Finetooner

For me personally, I have only booked the cruiselines excursions because, while they may be more expensive, at least if something happens and you are late, the ship WILL wait for you! If you book on your own and you are late, the ship will NOT wait!

We had a wonderful day tour of Merida from port of Progresso. Merida is about 1/2 hours drive from Progresso. We took the pier bus into Progresso and walked to the "bus station". There were several cabs and vans there, and we negotiated a 3 1/2 hour tour with driver and english-speaking guide for four persons in a minivan for a total cost (with tip) of about $120. The guide's name was Ricki Ocana. There is a Mayan site of Dzibilchitun, which is between Merida and Progresso. You can stop there on the way back to the pier.

As for snorkeling in Cozumel, I cannot give a recommendation. Many sites were damaged by the hurricanes in 2006, and were just getting back to normal.

Just back from progresso last week and took RCL trip to Chitzen Itza. The Maya ruins are about 2 hours away and the total trip close to 7 1/2 hrs. The trip was well worth the time and money. Going on a long trip like that I'd rather use RCL. To many things to go wrong otherwise.

One thing is that the ship will do everythng it can to wait for you if you book through them, however, sometimes it can not wait forever (tides, port rules, etc.). If they have to leave you then they will help you get to the next port if it was their excursion.

Archived