Barcelona HOHO bus question

DW and I will be arriving in Barcelona on a Sunday before our cruise leaves on Monday.....Do the HOHO busses run on Sunday???

Thanks for the help.

It appears to run daily. Have a great cruise.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Barcelona-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Bus-Turistic/d562-2512BBUS?pref=02&aid=g1856&gclid=CP6G5bCS95MCFR30IgodTFcQWQ

Marie

Be sure before you pay for the Barcelona HOHO. Its not always a smart buy depending on where you want to spend your day. The major tourist area is centered around the Ramblas where everything is walkable (including the nearby Gothic Quarter). The Sagrada Familia is a little far for many walkers, but its hard to justify the cost of the HOHO for that one attraction since you can always grab a taxi or use a local bus. The HOHO is a great way to see lots of the city, but for $32 a person you should be sure it meets your needs.

Hank

Be sure before you pay for the Barcelona HOHO. Its not always a smart buy depending on where you want to spend your day. The major tourist area is centered around the Ramblas where everything is walkable (including the nearby Gothic Quarter). The Sagrada Familia is a little far for many walkers, but its hard to justify the cost of the HOHO for that one attraction since you can always grab a taxi or use a local bus. The HOHO is a great way to see lots of the city, but for $32 a person you should be sure it meets your needs.

Hank

Also, if you combine Hanks suggestion with the Barcelona Metro to reach some must see locations, it is quite easy to use.

See this site for complete maps: Barcelona Metro

Also see Bus Turistic for an alternative tourist bus service.

cgan76

My Barcelona Trip Report

In preparation for our upcoming trip, we've also had advice from others who have been to Barcelona, to pay attention to how many ships are in port that day before you buy your Ho Ho tickets as they found there wasn't room to get on because there were so many passengers in town that day. They ended up wasting their Ho Ho fare and walking.

Just returned last week from a cruise on the Norwegian Jade and did the HOHO in Barcelona through Viator since I wanted to pay in US$.

You cannot present the printed coupon on boarding the bus but must walk about 15 minutes to the Tourist Office to exchange it for a ticket. Then you must find the stop for the HOHO.

I would not make an advanced booking again for this HOHO, because even paying in Euros it seems easier to buy the ticket at the kiosk where you disembark the shuttle from the ship. The HOHO buses are also here. In addition, you spend time walking to the Tourist Office that could be better spent sightseeing.

Viator does not advise you of this exchange.

There was quite a long line that day and most pax wanted to be on the top deck. Many chose not to board the bus if they could only sit on the inside.

If you are booking advanced tours through Viator remember to purchase insurance coverage. The Jade by-passed Malaga because of a bus strike and we were not refunded because unfortunately we had not purchased that insurance.

We just returned from Barcelona and had a 2 day pass for the HOHO. There was a 6E difference to add the 2nd day. We found the bus to be wonderful. Never any lines. We always had to top deck. Only bother with the blue and red lines. The green is only a 40 minute ride through an industrial area.

We got on an off all day exploring different areas. Of course the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell were wonderful, but the blue line to Montjuic was great. Use your coupon book and take the cable car. A little corny, but great views.

We just returned from Barcelona and had a 2 day pass for the HOHO. There was a 6E difference to add the 2nd day. We found the bus to be wonderful. Never any lines. We always had to top deck. Only bother with the blue and red lines. The green is only a 40 minute ride through an industrial area.

We got on an off all day exploring different areas. Of course the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell were wonderful, but the blue line to Montjuic was great. Use your coupon book and take the cable car. A little corny, but great views.

Agree with everything here :)

We visited in mid May and never had any lines for the buses. I know some people say travel by foot or by Metro but neither of those give you the perspective and views that the top deck of a bus can. You also have the added advantage of the commentary which gives you lots of factual information.

On our visited later in the year we'll definitely do the HOHO again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hank

Hi Hank,

Can the Barcelona card also be shared w/ other family members like the T10 or we need to get one for each member?

There are two services in Barcelona. The Bus Turistic ones are the ones that have the red, blue and green lines, there is also another Barcelona Tours bus.

We used the Bus Turistic on Saturday and Sunday two weeks ago, and rarely had difficulty with the lines. We agonised whether or not to do it, because I'd read this thread before leaving for Barcelona in June, and knew the metro was a cheaper option.

I'm delighted we did use the bus. Over the course of the two days, we did the red and blue lines twice, and found the highlights were outside the main town, particularly at Montjuic, where we took the Telerific cable car to the castle / military museum, and got a great view of Island Escape leaving port, passing Norwegian Gem in the process on the Sunday.

I only wish we'd known to be there the evening before to watch Navigator of the Seas pass Voyager OTS as she left port.

Lines were rarely an issue, and only once did we end up taking a "downstairs" seat, only to be guided back upstairs by a staff member as soon as some people left at the next stop.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, providing you don't have mobility issues, get off at the Park Guell stop and brave the short uphill walk. It was far and away our favourite place in Barcelona.

We ended up getting just over 20% of what we paid back through money off coupons at the Aquarium, the Teleferic and Mc Donalds.

There are two services in Barcelona. The Bus Turistic ones are the ones that have the red, blue and green lines, there is also another Barcelona Tours bus.

We used the Bus Turistic on Saturday and Sunday two weeks ago, and rarely had difficulty with the lines. We agonised whether or not to do it, because I'd read this thread before leaving for Barcelona in June, and knew the metro was a cheaper option.

I'm delighted we did use the bus. Over the course of the two days, we did the red and blue lines twice, and found the highlights were outside the main town, particularly at Montjuic, where we took the Telerific cable car to the castle / military museum, and got a great view of Island Escape leaving port, passing Norwegian Gem in the process on the Sunday.

I only wish we'd known to be there the evening before to watch Navigator of the Seas pass Voyager OTS as she left port.

Lines were rarely an issue, and only once did we end up taking a "downstairs" seat, only to be guided back upstairs by a staff member as soon as some people left at the next stop.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, providing you don't have mobility issues, get off at the Park Guell stop and brave the short uphill walk. It was far and away our favourite place in Barcelona.

We ended up getting just over 20% of what we paid back through money off coupons at the Aquarium, the Teleferic and Mc Donalds.

Appreciate your sharing.

Thanks for all the information and sharing from those who have been on the bus - I thought I must be particularly dim as it always seemed that the HOHO was the same as the Bus Turistic (thank you for pointing out that they are). We will be in Barcelona in October and will probably use the bus to get an overview of the city. (Can rest the feet too which I am sure will be welcome).

I pre-purchased (through expedia in Dollars) what I thought was "the" HOHO bus...... it was a good deal and very cheap for the second day....

It turned out to be Barcelona Bus Tours. (There are several HOHO companies!) We thought it ours great. No lines, we always walked right on,:) and sat on top. Our vouchers got us right on, no need for any other ticket exchange lines.

We were not able to come close to seeing everything we wanted our first afternoon, so we were glad to have bought the 2 day tickets.

Only complaint--at times the audio-earphone recording for the bus tour was a bit difficult to understand.

Hi Hank,

Can the Barcelona card also be shared w/ other family members like the T10 or we need to get one for each member?

Well, unless they have changed the card it does not have a photo attached. So, it could be used by another person (assuming you give them the card). But, each person in a group would need their own card (including children) and you are talking about $40 per person. Its a good deal if you plan to take advantage of a few of the included admission deals.

Hank

Re my earlier post - Some pictures

escapegem.jpg

Taken using zoom from Montjuic Castle

I could talk for hours about the view from the Teleferic cable cars. Alternatively, I can keep my mouth shut and just post this

Cruise1272.jpg

I can't comment on the Barcelona Tours company, but when you see the blue and red lines mentioned, this is the bus being referred to

Cruise1278.jpg

I pre-purchased (through expedia in Dollars) what I thought was "the" HOHO bus...... it was a good deal and very cheap for the second day....

It turned out to be Barcelona Bus Tours. (There are several HOHO companies!) We thought it ours great. No lines, we always walked right on,:) and sat on top. Our vouchers got us right on, no need for any other ticket exchange lines.

We were not able to come close to seeing everything we wanted our first afternoon, so we were glad to have bought the 2 day tickets.

Only complaint--at times the audio-earphone recording for the bus tour was a bit difficult to understand.

Can you tell me how much it was in USD from Expedia?

LIVE from Barcelona right now...!

We took the HOHO bus yesterday, and actually found it to be quite enjoyable. Although our original intention was just to ride the "blue" loop, we ended up using the "red" loop also. We found that we used the HOHO bus several times as transportation b/c they very conveniently connect the major tourist sites. (NOTE--we discovered the HARD WAY that a portion of the subway was closed today!)

Lastly--I can add that the HOH buses tend to be quite crowded, and you have to jockey for a position on the top deck by getting on initially on the bottom deck, then quickly run upstairs at the next stop after someone from the top deck has gotten off. The other bus line (Barcelona Bus) ALWAYS had seating available on the top deck when we saw them drive by.

Either way, we enjoyed the HOHO bus, and found them to be very thorough and informative. Since we are traveling w/young kids (5 and 7), the buses were a helpful form of transport for the day as well.

Hope that helps!

Off to our ship tomorrow!!!!!!!

CeleBrat

Thanks, Madra, for sharing your photos.

We have 4 pre- and 3 post-cruise days in Barca. We're arriving early in the morning of Fri, so for the first two days, am definitely getting a 2-day HOHO/Bus Turistic tickets.

Then for the remaining days, am not sure whether to get a Barcelona card or a T10 (Q posted to Hank). From what I've gathered, just one T10card (good for 10 trips) is more economical to get around the city as it can be shared with other family members (of course, each member is counted as one trip as you exit the Metro).

We are on the same cruise as Aussieflyer who posted above!:D

I realize the HOHO and Bus Turistic is the same thing - but how does the Barcelona Bus differ from the Turistic/HOHO?

We overnight in Barcelona, so day 1 I was hoping to use the HOHO or the other bus (now I don't know which!) to cover major sights - get to Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, modern Gaudi buildings/district and towards late afternoon/early evening walk Las Rambla.

Day 2 I planned to go on the Gothic Quarter walking tour - view the Music theatre and possibly Picasso Museum.

Should I purchase the HOHO or other bus for 2 days? Or on day 2 can I get around to what I want to see by walking/taxi?

Also, is it possible to squeeze in the Montjuic area or is that too ambitious to add in for 2 days. I've already eliminated going to Montserrat since it would cut into the rest of the places I want to see...will save it for another trip.

Archived