Items that are considered "bargain" purchase in Aus/NZ/SP

stuNYC

Are there any items that an American can buy "down under" or in the south pacific that would be considered a "bargin purchase". Is the exchange rate in AUS or NZ favorable or unfavorable vs the US Dollar. Where is the best port to buy a sheepskin rug? How much would I expect to pay.?

This is such a difficult question to answer, as the rugs come in all different types/grades/sizes/colours of wool. You can purchase here in Oz, rugs anywhere from approx $80 up to over a thousand dollars.....see what i mean! I personally think that NZ may have a better choice. NZ wool is meant to be far better for walking on ie carpets, rugs etc. (DH used to own a carpet business, and all the best quality was purchased from NZ). Sorry I cannot help any further.

Canadian friends of ours, recently visiting downunder, went mad with the possum socks. They can be purchased in various stores in Oz, but are all over the place in NZ....ie every port. Between NZ$15/NZ$25. Something different, exceptionally warm and super soft.

The first time we went to Australia (and because of the strict weight limits for flights) I bought opal earings as my ´big´purchase then just bought 1$ green shoppping bags from various tourist places, in NZ it was Ugg boots, in Tahiti, I would have liked to shop for pearls, but didn´t have time.

Sandy in Spain

If you're hoping to score a great deal via the exchange rate I'm afraid you're about 10 years too late. The Aussie $ is strong these days (A$1 = US$1.05) so there probably aren't any real "bargains" in that sense.

Are there any items that an American can buy "down under" or in the south pacific that would be considered a "bargin purchase". Is the exchange rate in AUS or NZ favorable or unfavorable vs the US Dollar. Where is the best port to buy a sheepskin rug? How much would I expect to pay.?

I can't think of anything that an American would buy in Australia/NZ, which would be considered a bargain purchase.

I go to the US and SEAsia to do my bargain shopping.

However, quality purchases here include sheepskin products, such as rugs, steering wheel covers, ugg boots, lightweight fine merino wool clothing, socks etc. Some of our best hand made products are sold at weekend markets, such as Salamanca Markets in Hobart, Tasmania.

I have bought sheepskin rugs, car seat covers and steering wheel covers in NZ. The last time in Napier from memory, with a company which picked cruisers up at the tourist information on the waterfront and took them to their factory, with a guided tour en route.

Not really any bargains to be had with the strengh of the Aussie dollar, plus things are so expensive here anyway, but some unique items you can buy here are things like Opal and pearl jewelry, sheepskin, possum products, and in the South Pacific south sea pearls.

One thing to watch out for is the 'tourist jewellery'. In Australia it is Opal, the good stuff is not cheap, you need to know where it was mined and make sure it is not a triplet (which is a thin shaving of opal with a black back to make it colourful). In NZ it is the jade, when holidaying there over the last couple of years I was determined to buy NZ Jade as it turns out a lot of the stuff in the tourist outlets comes from China etc, even Aus. NZ jade is much more interesting to look at (not just the solid green colour) but also more expensive but not ridiculously so. I got a very nice piece for $180 Aus, Maori carved by a local artisan, with a meaning behind the carving and blessed by the Maori lady that sold it to me (it was a reputable business not a market stall), but it took quite a lot of investigation to find authentic NZ jade. It comes down to the fact that tourist demand outstrips local supply so they supplement it with imported product. It is still a good product but I wanted a memory of my holiday not just a piece of jewellery.

Also in Akoroa there is this pearl manufacturing company that has developed the most beautiful looking blue pearl but way out of my league, very expensive. The shop is on the wharf if I remember correctly, worth a look even if you don't buy.

Sorry to waffle on about jewellery (my obsession) but as the other posters say, possum products and Ugg Boots are always a good buy, also don't forget local food products (the sort that can go through customs).

NZ Jade, bone and Kauri wood carvings and Sheepwool items are among the nicest NZ souvenirs.

Woolen jumpers are also very beautiful, but are pricey.

For light and cheaper items which make great presents you can not go wrong with the Paua shell jewellery (just check it is from NZ!).

A unique thing I have brought over to Europe to give as presents were localy made paintings of a Maori basket with gold touches and feathers attached. Bought five, they were all different. Just used lot of bubble wrap, bit cumbersome but light.

You could do something similar in Australia with the beautiful and original Aboriginal art.

As previous posters mentioned, due to the strong Aussie Dollar, you are unlikely to find "bargains" or stuff that is cheaper in Australia.

Unique things, Yes.

Perhaps best avoid any shop that has lots of Japanese and Chinese advertising in the window. They tend to be a real rip-off!

Better stick to major shopping centers for shopping, other than your koala/kangaroo toys and touristy stuff.

Ugg boots can probably be had by mail order in the US for the same price.

A company called R.M. Williams makes excellent boots, "cowboy" style hats, coats etc.

Not cheap, but superb quality. Australian Opals or Western Australian pearls are an excellent, but pricy gift. Don't buy these in souvenir shops!

A cheap and delicious gift that can be found in every supermsrket and 7-11 are Tim Tam, the world's best chocolate biscuit. Seriously adictive. They come in a variety of versions, but the original is the best. Just ask anybody in the shop which one it is.

Another Aussie speciality is Vegemite. Aussies LOVE the stuff on buttered toast, but the rest of the world finds it pretty disgusting. 25 years in Australia and I still can't eat it.

Buy a jar to scare your neighbors!

:)

Ohhhhh, Vegemite battle! I love the stuff and always take some with me when I cruise. A fellow passenger (American as it happens) once made some very disparaging remarks about it so I asked him if he'd ever actually tried it? The answer was No of course but he was willing to give it a go so he got a slice of buttered toast and proceeded to spread an inch thick layer of my precious black gold :eek: My squawks alerted him to the fact he was doing it all wrong so I showed him that the toast only required a thin smear of the salty nectar of the gods and when he VERY tentatively nibbled it he was instantly transformed into a happy little Vegemite. Better late than never!

Ohhhhh, Vegemite battle! I love the stuff and always take some with me when I cruise. A fellow passenger (American as it happens) once made some very disparaging remarks about it so I asked him if he'd ever actually tried it? The answer was No of course but he was willing to give it a go so he got a slice of buttered toast and proceeded to spread an inch thick layer of my precious black gold :eek: My squawks alerted him to the fact he was doing it all wrong so I showed him that the toast only required a thin smear of the salty nectar of the gods and when he VERY tentatively nibbled it he was instantly transformed into a happy little Vegemite. Better late than never!

I read where Vegemite cannot be taken through US Customs, due to a certain ingredient within. Anyone else read this? I will be so upset, and possibly have withdrawal symptoms if I can't take it. (and it has to be the original Vegemite).

Back to the original question.....yes, Tim Tam biscuits are an excellent cheap choice....that is if they are not all eaten before you depart Oz:D

Jade or Green stone in NZ

Paua shell jewelery in NZ

Bone carvings in NZ , (traditional fish hook of Maui)

All can vary in quality and price. If you keep your eye out you can find very nice paua souvenirs at realistic prices..ie instead of being set in silver it will be stainless steel , which polished up is very attractive.

Buzzy Bee in NZ (if you want an heirloom keepsake for children.)

What is Busy Bee?

I bought Ugg boots & slippers in Western Australia 3 yrs ago and they were 1/2 price of here in Canada. I also bough a wonderful sheep skin winter hat that I wear and it is really warm I also bough a beautiful Australian Opal necklace & earrings

The Tim Tim biscuits are now being sold at some grocery chains in Canada

Muriel

I have just bought myself Ugg boots here in the UK, after years of thinking they couldn't possibly be with that amount of money ..... but they are.

They are sooooo comfy, cosy and warm. My feet get really grumpy when I take them off! :D

Consider buying a sheepskin in Napier New Zealand, this company does shuttle services to their factory from the tourist office (you will be dropped off there from the port as it is a working port). http://www.classicsheepskins.co.nz/ we bought sheepskins there 3 years ago and had them shipped back to Australia.

In New Zealand, definitely Green Stone. It is rarely set in precious metal, unlike Paua shell so you are paying for the quality of the stone and the carving. There are several reputable shops close to the terminal in Auckland (shop around as I did) and local artisans do sell at markets. There is a brilliant display of Green Stone at the Te Papa museum in Wellington but the prices in the museum shop are inflated. If you are a maker of your own jewellery, you will find bead shops in both Dunedin ( near the Octagon) and in Napier. Google them. Both sell Paua Shell beads.

I read where Vegemite cannot be taken through US Customs, due to a certain ingredient within. Anyone else read this? I will be so upset, and possibly have withdrawal symptoms if I can't take it. (and it has to be the original Vegemite).

Back to the original question.....yes, Tim Tam biscuits are an excellent cheap choice....that is if they are not all eaten before you depart Oz:D

It was incorrectly reported that this was te case a few years ago. It was because of the folate level in it. But no, it's not illegal to take Vegemite to the US.

Bargains tend to be relative to where you come from. By USA standards, Australia is an expensive country and our strong dollar against the $USD just makes this worse for visitors. You will find unique and good quality items but this is definitely not bargain shopping territory. We Aussies head to the USA with empty suitcases when we want to shop 'til we drop! (although of late, I have found prices in the USA are definitely higher than previously had been)

I didn't feel as though there were any "bargains" last month though I did get some fun souvenirs at Paddy's Market in Chinatown (boomerangs for about $3-$10) and in Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne I got my didgeredoo for about $30. Since it was cooler than I had expected, I got my navy blue AUSTRALIA zip front sweatshirt for $9 at the market as well. Picked up some possum/merino wool yarn at a yarn shop in Dunedin for about $10 skein and a wool sweater in Akaroa for much more than I wanted to spend.

• 3 weeks later...

The FLATOUTbea is a nice gift to buy from Australia

Soft, cuddly and flat, the FLATOUTbear is made of 100% pure Australian sheepskin shaped like a teddy bear. They are just gorgeous. They're natural, plush and luxurious - perfect for babies, kids, grannies... What can we say, everyone loves FLATOUTbears.

It is no wonder the FLATOUTbear has a star studded fan base including Princess Mary of Denmark, Brooke Shields and Hugh Jackman. Sarah Jessica Parker termed the FLATOUTbear "charming and adorable", Tom Cruise had it on his baby wish-list, Jennifer Garner "loves it". The FLATOUTbear is now seen around the world.

http://www.flatout.com.au/bears.htm

Retail Shops : http://www.flatout.com.au/purchasing.php

Also, the Emu Collection of excellent quality (but priced high) Australian sheepskin slippers | boots are worth checking out.

Here is a *link* to a shop that has them available in Collins Street, Melbourne.

https://www.petersheppard.com.au/ProductBrowse.aspx?catid=28

What are the dimensions of the flat out bear?

Sharon

honey.jpg

Hand made from 100% Australian sheepskin

30cm x 25cm or 12" x 10" (this may vary slightly as each bear is hand cut)

5cm or 2" flat Easy care - warm hand wash and dry in shade

Baby Safe Eyes and Nose - meets Australian and International toy safety Standards.

tested

Colours available - milk, honey, latte, licorice, chocolate, koala grey, rosie and bluey.

A "please phone home" stitched in label with room for your phone number.

If you're hoping to score a great deal via the exchange rate I'm afraid you're about 10 years too late. The Aussie $ is strong these days (A$1 = US$1.05) so there probably aren't any real "bargains" in that sense.

MMDown Under: I go to the US and SEAsia to do my bargain shopping. However' date=' quality purchases here include sheepskin products, such as rugs, steering wheel covers, ugg boots, lightweight fine merino wool clothing, socks etc. Some of our best hand made products are sold at weekend markets, such as Salamanca Markets in Hobart, Tasmania. I have bought sheepskin rugs, car seat covers and steering wheel covers in NZ. The last time in Napier from memory, with a company which picked cruisers up at the tourist information on the waterfront and took them to their factory, with a guided tour en route. [/quote']

The_Big_M: Opals are one of the traditional things we're known for' date=' and a good price, if you are after jewellery. [/quote']

Wastegirl: One thing to watch out for is the 'tourist jewellery'. In Australia it is Opal' date=' the good stuff is not cheap, you need to know where it was mined and make sure it is not a triplet (which is a thin shaving of opal with a black back to make it colourful). In NZ it is the jade, when holidaying there over the last couple of years I was determined to buy NZ Jade as it turns out a lot of the stuff in the tourist outlets comes from China etc, even Aus. NZ jade is much more interesting to look at (not just the solid green colour) but also more expensive but not ridiculously so. I got a very nice piece for $180 Aus, Maori carved by a local artisan, with a meaning behind the carving and blessed by the Maori lady that sold it to me (it was a reputable business not a market stall), but it took quite a lot of investigation to find authentic NZ jade. It comes down to the fact that tourist demand outstrips local supply so they supplement it with imported product. It is still a good product but I wanted a memory of my holiday not just a piece of jewellery. Also in Akoroa there is this pearl manufacturing company that has developed the most beautiful looking blue pearl but way out of my league, very expensive. The shop is on the wharf if I remember correctly, worth a look even if you don't buy. Sorry to waffle on about jewellery (my obsession) but as the other posters say, possum products and Ugg Boots are always a good buy, also don't forget local food products (the sort that can go through customs). [/quote']

Waihekean: NZ Jade' date=' bone and Kauri wood carvings and Sheepwool items are among the nicest NZ souvenirs. Woolen jumpers are also very beautiful, but are pricey.

For light and cheaper items which make great presents you can not go wrong with the Paua shell jewellery (just check it is from NZ!). A unique thing I have brought over to Europe to give as presents were localy made paintings of a Maori basket with gold touches and feathers attached. Bought five, they were all different. Just used lot of bubble wrap, bit cumbersome but light. You could do something similar in Australia with the beautiful and original Aboriginal art. [/quote']

cjm66: In New Zealand' date=' definitely Green Stone. It is rarely set in precious metal, unlike Paua shell so you are paying for the quality of the stone and the carving. There are several reputable shops close to the terminal in Auckland (shop around as I did) and local artisans do sell at markets. There is a brilliant display of Green Stone at the Te Papa museum in Wellington but the prices in the museum shop are inflated. If you are a maker of your own jewellery, you will find bead shops in both Dunedin ( near the Octagon) and in Napier. Google them. Both sell Paua Shell beads.[/quote']

Valley Girl of VA: I didn't feel as though there were any "bargains" last month though I did get some fun souvenirs at Paddy's Market in Chinatown (boomerangs for about $3-$10) and in Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne I got my didgeredoo for about $30. Since it was cooler than I had expected' date=' I got my navy blue AUSTRALIA zip front sweatshirt for $9 at the market as well. Picked up some possum/merino wool yarn at a yarn shop in Dunedin for about $10 skein and a wool sweater in Akaroa for much more than I wanted to spend. [/quote']

In order to share on the roll call for our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days, I pulled together some of the excellent ideas and posts on this subject shown above. Appreciate these and all of the other ideas. Keep them coming!! We have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure". Or, if you have any key suggestions for us to consider while in your areas, drop by and let us know.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived