Carambola or Cockleshell Beach?

Greg21087

Heading to St Kitts on a cruise this January and wanted to see which location has the best beach and food/drinks. Thank you!!

Both beaches are nice, and the water is warm and seaweed free.

Cockleshell is at the tip of the island approx 30 minutes from the port, and you can see Nevis which is 1.25 miles away.

A few restaurant beach bars, Spice Mill at one side of the beach and Reggae Beach Bar on the other end. Depending on your age or what you are looking for, Reggae is busy as its the stop the organized tours, lots of people, loud music and lots of people drinking in the water and the beach is more 'shelly' so shoes are a must.

Spice Mill is more of a higher end, nicer chairs and classier, not as loud and the beach is not as 'shelly'

South Friars is about 15 minutes from the port.

Carambola, nice stretch of beach, water calm, like Spice Mill a classier place.

Shipwreck is at the other end of the same beach, the sand gets blacker and it narrows, so less beach. Shipwreck is more of a beach bar, more rustic a place to hang out if you are not into a wide beach. You do have to be aware for sea urchins and there's signs warning you of them

Edited by toes_in_sand

• 1 month later...
Shipwreck has equipment for snorkeling available for rent. I am not sure about Reggae at Cockelshell.

Was at Cockleshell last Sunday, going back this Sunday. There's a few places that rent snorkeling equipment as well as jet skis on Cockleshell. I was speaking with the chef at Spice Mill last Sunday, he was saying the South Friars reef is being over run with sea urchins right now with lots of people getting stung.

I do prefer Spice Mill over Reggae hands down. Reggae is loud and over run with 20 year olds drinking beer in the water all day, loud music and the water is cloudy and very 'shelly'

Spice Mill has a live band on Sunday afternoons, a more mature crowd and is on a nicer section of the beach. JMHO

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just went to Carambola in August and it's a nice beach and place to hang out with some snorkeling. I have a few review listed in my signature line with TONS of pictures if you are interested.

Another place along that beach is called Discovery Beach. It's just a little further down and looked deserted when we were there. The black sand in front of the water was so pretty and amazing looking. (There's pictures in my review). If we were ever to return, that's probably where we would head to. :)

We just went to Carambola in August and it's a nice beach and place to hang out with some snorkeling. I have a few review listed in my signature line with TONS of pictures if you are interested.

Another place along that beach is called Discovery Beach. It's just a little further down and looked deserted when we were there. The black sand in front of the water was so pretty and amazing looking. (There's pictures in my review). If we were ever to return, that's probably where we would head to. :)

Did you just ask to go to Carambola? What was the taxi fare

Thanks

Hubby was leaning towards South Friars but with the sea urchins don't think so

Did you just ask to go to Carambola? What was the taxi fare

Thanks

Hubby was leaning towards South Friars but with the sea urchins don't think so

Um, maybe you are a little confused? (Or I am about something). South Friars is the bay where these beaches are located, as in: Carambola, Ship Wreck, Discovery. So going to one of these beaches, you are going to South Friars.

When we went, the only place I found A LOT (and I mean a lot) of the black spiny sea urchins was down toward Ship Wreck. We didn't encounter many toward Carambola. But you can encounter these at any beach and we at least see several every place we go. :)

We walked outside the gate and just told the driver we wanted to go to Carambola and it cost $4 per adult (kids were free).

Um, maybe you are a little confused? (Or I am about something). South Friars is the bay where these beaches are located, as in: Carambola, Ship Wreck, Discovery. So going to one of these beaches, you are going to South Friars.

When we went, the only place I found A LOT (and I mean a lot) of the black spiny sea urchins was down toward Ship Wreck. We didn't encounter many toward Carambola. But you can encounter these at any beach and we at least see several every place we go. :)

We walked outside the gate and just told the driver we wanted to go to Carambola and it cost $4 per adult (kids were free).

Thanks for clearing that up

I got confused when I first read about Carambola as they talked about it being a Beach club-so didn't know if you had to pay to go there. But it seems like we can just take a taxi and use the beach without having to pay a fee (other than any food/drinks, chairs/umbrellas, etc)

ALL beaches in St Kitts & Nevis are FREE to use by anyone. There will be places that may charge you to use some of the amenities that they have available such as lounge chairs & umbrellas.

Think Carambola is a private beach, as I was informed they pay for the sand every year and built the "pool", being the sea atol, from the rocks. Also supply security, toilet facilities, showers and changing rooms for paying guests.

On our last visit "towles" were asked to pay for beds or leave. The "towels" then raised the old chestnut regarding public beaches etc, and after some protracted discussions, paid for two beds being shared by 12. But the seal colony were later invited to move to the far back left of the resort, (without beds but on towles) or leave, as their "noise" disturbed guests.

Towels should have been pleased they were not at JO's, but sadly not.

Think Carambola is a private beach, as I was informed they pay for the sand every year and built the "pool", being the sea atol, from the rocks. Also supply security, toilet facilities, showers and changing rooms for paying guests.

On our last visit "towles" were asked to pay for beds or leave. The "towels" then raised the old chestnut regarding public beaches etc, and after some protracted discussions, paid for two beds being shared by 12. But the seal colony were later invited to move to the far back left of the resort, (without beds but on towles) or leave, as their "noise" disturbed guests.

Towels should have been pleased they were not at JO's, but sadly not.

Hmm, that's weird. When we were there, just 4 months ago, there were plenty of people just using their towels and finding a spot on the beach. Nothing was said to them other than asking them if they wanted to rent chairs/umbrellas. I know it's listed as a "private beach club", which usually means that the facilities/restaurant/dining area/chairs/umbrellas are all for the people attending the place, but usually aren't most places in the Caribbean (as someone else has said) free to use by anyone and there's usually some type of "law" that it's public property up to a certain amount of feet from the water edge. Not sure if it applies to this place or not, just saying that's usually the rule. :)

Hmm, that's weird. When we were there, just 4 months ago, there were plenty of people just using their towels and finding a spot on the beach. Nothing was said to them other than asking them if they wanted to rent chairs/umbrellas. I know it's listed as a "private beach club", which usually means that the facilities/restaurant/dining area/chairs/umbrellas are all for the people attending the place, but usually aren't most places in the Caribbean (as someone else has said) free to use by anyone and there's usually some type of "law" that it's public property up to a certain amount of feet from the water edge. Not sure if it applies to this place or not, just saying that's usually the rule. :)

The Law, as you correctly state, does exist.

It is the the foreshore which is public.

The foreshore being the strip of beach from the imaginary line of the high tide (seaweed) to the sea only. Tide in or out. In the case of Carambola, the high water mark exactly is at the end of their sun beds. From this point to the sea is approximately a distance of two feet of foreshore, at low tide, this being free. Everything from the sun bed "footend" to the public road, is the property of Carambola.

It is noted that some "Towels" are deliberate tightwads, and will take immense pride in contributing nothing to a day at Carambola, even by portering their own food and drinks.

Yet, these wonderful people will utilise all that Carambola offers to paying guests, repeat paying guests. This being security, toilet facilities, showers, changing rooms, beach and 'pool' (sea atoll) etc.

I have seen some of what you describe at Shipwreck. I feel if they are that tight, maybe they should stay on the ship or even stay home.The local economy has become very tourist oriented and relies on the tourist dollar to live.

I have seen some of what you describe at Shipwreck. I feel if they are that tight, maybe they should stay on the ship or even stay home.The local economy has become very tourist oriented and relies on the tourist dollar to live.

"Towels" (tightwads), have another deliberate, and disgusting act.

When wishing to answer the urgent call of nature on a beach, will first request the use of facilities at a bar to which they have given zero custom, same being declined. So what do they do?

Do they offer a small gratuity? No.

Do they offer to buy a drink? No.

The Towels will go for a swim, and exit the sea with a relaxed self satisfying smile. :eek::eek:

"Towels" (tightwads), have another deliberate, and disgusting act.

When wishing to answer the urgent call of nature on a beach, will first request the use of facilities at a bar to which they have given zero custom, same being declined. So what do they do?

Do they offer a small gratuity? No.

Do they offer to buy a drink? No.

The Towels will go for a swim, and exit the sea with a relaxed self satisfying smile. :eek::eek:

Towels even boast on CC

because we're fine with a towel on the beach under a tree and the sea to relieve ourselves.

:eek: