Experience with Cruising out of NYC?

New cruiser wondering what the security is like at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Is it like going through an airport where you will be asked to remove belts, shoes, and in our case, leg braces for the metal detectors? My husband wears a metal framed leg brace for sporting activities and we aren't sure whether to pack it, or wear it. He doesn't want to get dis-robed, or get pulled in the back like he does in airports. Any input is appreciated!

Hi! I'm from NYC and have left from the Manhattan terminal numerous times. The security is simple prior to getting to the area where you do your paperwork/set up acct. it's basically several guards/lines and you put your belongings on a conveyer belt and it goes thru an X-ray machine. Then you walk through the metal detector. No taking off shoes or anything.

Although we did not have to remove belts or shoes, we still had to place all objects from our pockets into a tray before going through the metal dectector. Our watches, jewerly, eyeglasses etc did not set it off, but the brace may, so I would err on the cautious side if you do not want to be wanded and pack the brace.

I have metal implants in my back, and always set the detectors off. In Manhattan, I was quickly wanded in the specific area where the implants are and sent on my way. I wasn't pulled out of line, and the whole process took maybe 10 seconds.

You'll find the usual airport style x-ray machines for your things and the usual metal detector to walk through. If DH wears his brace, they will wand it if the metal detector pings. Fast and easy.

Of topic.... but the Manhattan cruise terminal is the MOST AWESOME to sail out of! You will love it. You will go right past the statue of Liberty and the top of the ship almost brushes the bottom of the Brooklyn?? Bridge. Its amazing. Have a wonderful trip ;)

Of topic.... but the Manhattan cruise terminal is the MOST AWESOME to sail out of! You will love it. You will go right past the statue of Liberty and the top of the ship almost brushes the bottom of the Brooklyn?? Bridge. Its amazing. Have a wonderful trip ;)

lol its the verrazanos narrows bridge. The Brooklyn B is on the east river which you don"t go down

And if it's in your carry on....you don't have to worry about liquids and gels in "normal" sized containers. It's not an issue. Carry on rather than pack your favorite perfume and what ever toiletries you prefer in what every size bottle or jar you have.

Depending on the ports you go out of

Port Liberty Bayonne, heading out the four forks river. Chelsea peirs just about midtown. And Green point

The Hudson river, The east river, and leading edge of two other rivers.

You head pass Ellis Island, stature of Liberty, passig in the distance the brooklyn bridge.

You will pass the varrazanno bridge no way even close of touching the lowest part.

Archived