Bottled water

BlessedAZWife

This has likely been answered in many other places, so sorry for the repetition.

It is my understanding that we can bring a case of bottled water on board the Regal upon embarkation. Is this true? Do I simply put a luggage tag on the case? Or should we walk it on with us?

As I take meds morning and evening, I need to have safe water in our cabin. On a previous cruise on RCCL, We ordered the bottled water package which was waiting in our cabin. However, I am not seeing that on Princess.

Thank you

This has likely been answered in many other places, so sorry for the repetition.

It is my understanding that we can bring a case of bottled water on board the Regal upon embarkation. Is this true? Do I simply put a luggage tag on the case? Or should we walk it on with us?

As I take meds morning and evening, I need to have safe water in our cabin. On a previous cruise on RCCL, We ordered the bottled water package which was waiting in our cabin. However, I am not seeing that on Princess.

Thank you

You can bring the water on either way. We just put a tag on it and give it to the porters. ;)

No bottled water package on Princess.

Have never had any problem drinking the water on board the ship. I always take a sports bottle and fill it on the ship. Some have said their joints have swollen from drinking the water but they do not seem to be in the majority.

Yes you can buy a case of water and just put a luggage tag on it or you can buy bottled water on the ship(rathe expensve).

For many the ship water can cause water retention in their bodies because I believe there is salt added in the purification system.

I always have bottled water in the stateroom and drink the tap water in the dining rooms etc.

I purchased the larger bottles of water while on the ship, and purchase as needed. If I remember correctly when we boarded our cabin had 2 large bottles of water on the desk with a note that we would be charged for them if they were used. Our room steward replaced each bottle as it was used so there never was a shortage of available water.

For shore excursions we bought small bottles of water on the ship too.

Worked for us. I just don't want to lug a case of water onboard. Yes, we pay a premium price but in the big picture it is not a major expense.

I am sorry, the though of lugging 30 pounds of water around when the water on the ship is purer is mind boggling!

agree!!

I wonder the same thing & like at home use a wide mouth 20oz refillable Brita water filter bottle that makes it easy to add ice cubes.

I have never heard of sodium being added to ship water. To me there is plenty of sodium in the food & is more likely the reason why some may have water retention. I don't think the water on the ship is processed like soft water using sodium. I'm certainly not an expert however I am very skeptical that it adds any sodium.

Cruise Critic feels the water is safe:

"Water, water everywhere. No need to lug a case of water with you when you go cruising. The tap water on cruise ships is completely safe and drinkable, having been through rigorous filtration and testing, all of which are overseen by U.S. and European heath agencies. While some cruisers claim that the tap water in restaurants and bars tastes different from what comes out of the cabin bathroom, it is all, in fact, the same water".

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1475

Edited by Astro Flyer

...If I remember correctly when we boarded our cabin had 2 large bottles of water on the desk with a note that we would be charged for them if they were used. Our room steward replaced each bottle as it was used so there never was a shortage of available water...

Same here. I also found out that many (if not all) of the onboard bars/lounges carry bottled water as well. I believe it was the same price as in the cabin or close to it.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with the water on the ship. But I tend to be active in port (much walking) and often carry three or four half litre bottles in my backpack inside one of those plastic bags that helps keep them cool. Yes, you can refill bottles, plastic or permanent, but they start to feel a bit grungy after a while ... and the ones that they use with just a bubble of plastic tend to get leaky in the cap area.

I do carry a case of water on board. Well, I use a lightweight roller bag. Last time in FLL I got it the night before at the Winn-Dixie.

Edited by Wehwalt

Ship water is fine- cleaner than many municipal water supplies.

Which is where much of the bottled water comes from. In Texas:

In Walmart's case, the water is Niagara — not from Niagara Falls, or even company headquarters in California — but from a local plant in Grand Prairie.

Kroger's bottles don't say where their water is sourced, but it's Dallas City water from Irving.

Aquafina's bottle says their product comes from "public water sources." A company spokesman says it's Dallas water from Mesquite.

Tom Thumb's brand, Refreshe', doesn't reveal its source. It's bottled by Advanced H20 near Duncanville.

Dasani, a division of Coca-Cola doesn't give a clue where it comes from on the bottle. Headquarters says that its source is Dallas water mains.

Nestle Pure Life's label does say its source is public water supplies, Dallas, Texas.

My wife always takes some bottled water along but it's slightly flavored. We have no issue with drinking the ship's water for "regular" water but she does enjoy her flavored water which isn't available on the ship so we bring some along.

I'm one of the people who are somewhat boggled by all of the bottled water drinkers and the people who seem to need to have a bottle of water on hand everywhere they go.

I'm one of the people who are somewhat boggled by all of the bottled water drinkers and the people who seem to need to have a bottle of water on hand everywhere they go.

It really is convenient to have some along on a port-intensive cruise in summer. It seems superior to the option of buying the bottles as we exit the ship or paying tourist prices ashore.

JMO.

My wife always takes some bottled water along but it's slightly flavored. We have no issue with drinking the ship's water for "regular" water but she does enjoy her flavored water which isn't available on the ship so we bring some along.

It really is convenient to have some along on a port-intensive cruise in summer. It seems superior to the option of buying the bottles as we exit the ship or paying tourist prices ashore.

JMO.

I was actually referring more to the people I see around town, at work, in the store, etc. who seem to feel they must have a bottle of water with them at all times. Carrying a bottle of water on a shore excursion in the summer can make sense although I prefer to grab a beer instead. :D

I was actually referring more to the people I see around town, at work, in the store, etc. who seem to feel they must have a bottle of water with them at all times. Carrying a bottle of water on a shore excursion in the summer can make sense although I prefer to grab a beer instead. :D

The same could be said for a cell phone. :rolleyes:

The same could be said for a cell phone. :rolleyes:

Yep. I see people glued to their phones all the time. It's amazing to see a table full of people somewhere and they are all fiddling with their phones.

Having said that... I actually carried my cell phone on our last cruise. Normally I just turn it off and stick it in the safe for the duration of the cruise but I ended up actually using the phone this time to check the onboard activities when out and about. It was easier than carrying a Patter (which I never do) and my memory isn't good enough to remember times, etc. for things we may want to do. It's a bit of a mixed blessing. On one hand it was convenient for checking activities or tracking my onboard folio but, on the other hand, I had to carry the dang phone. I guess I should just be glad I'm a guy and can put it in my pocket. (Of course I am quite often reminded how glad I am to be a guy... :D)

Edited by Thrak

Thank you

What do you mean by "SAFE WATER"? Princess has some of the "BEST" filtered and tasting water I have ever had! If you choose to bring your own, slap a luggage tag on it and send it on its way. You may also find it convenient to drop a case or two (2) into one of your unoccupied pieces of luggage to have it "Safely" routed to your stateroom!!:rolleyes:

Doesn't work, net dehydrator, and defeats the purpose of walking. :)

I watch the people paying $$$ for Crystal Geyser (!) water as they get off the ship and :) some more.

Edited by Wehwalt

For many the ship water can cause water retention in their bodies because I believe there is salt added in the purification system.

I always have bottled water in the stateroom and drink the tap water in the dining rooms etc.

I'll jump in here because of the OP's comment about "safe" water, and this urban myth quoted above.

As per the article that you provided later, water is made by evaporation or reverse osmosis. A third source is shore water. All three sources are chlorinated to sanitize them before they go into the ship's tanks, and are further chlorinated when distributed throughout the ship. Unlike at home, the water constantly recirculates, and is required to be constantly monitored at the furthest point, and continually chlorinated to maintain a residual chlorine level, which is not what your municipal water supply does (it just chlorinates, or brominates, and then pushes it out to your house, and the halogen dissipates naturally the longer the water is sitting still in the pipes, so there is no control over the water quality at your house). Water onboard cruise ships that call at US ports must meet USPH sanitation standards for production, loading, handling, and chlorination.

Many people have heard that "something" is added back to the distilled water, and this is true, but not salt or other minerals "for taste". Distilled water is slightly acidic, and will tend to attract minerals from wherever it can get them (piping or your teeth and body over long periods), unless neutralized. This is done using Calcium Carbonate (the same ingredient in Tums).

Water produced by reverse osmosis can have some salt or minerals in it, but this is only a portion of the water onboard (it is all mixed together), but the main culprits in water retention are the salt in the food onboard, and the chlorine in the water. This chlorine does affect water retention. If you feel that you are retaining water, try getting water from the drink stations, water dispensers, or bars onboard, as these outlets have carbon filters to remove the chlorine (more for maintenance of the equipment than taste). This is why many people feel the water in these dining venues tastes better than the cabin water. It is all the same, some just has the chlorine removed at point of use.

...This chlorine does affect water retention. If you feel that you are retaining water, try getting water from the drink stations, water dispensers, or bars onboard, as these outlets have carbon filters to remove the chlorine (more for maintenance of the equipment than taste). This is why many people feel the water in these dining venues tastes better than the cabin water. It is all the same, some just has the chlorine removed at point of use.

I was clued into this many years ago by a crewmember. I need to watch my sodium intake, so I drink the "tap" water in onboard dining venues and lounges, but bottled water only in the cabin.

I was clued into this many years ago by a crewmember. I need to watch my sodium intake, so I drink the "tap" water in onboard dining venues and lounges, but bottled water only in the cabin.

Guess I'll keep using my 20 oz sport water bottle with a built in small Brita filter which they say filters out chlorine when filling with cabin water:

"Your Brita[emoji768] Bottle filter water filter helps filter out and reduce the amount of Chlorine commonly present in tap water".

Edited by Astro Flyer