Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old August 13th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Senior Editor

Default Where does your toddler sleep?

We're looking at taking my son (who'll be nearly 2.5 at the time) on a Norwegian cruise. He currently sleeps in a toddler bed with rails and has been known to fall off beds without rails. He's a tall guy and likely no longer fits in a pack-n-play (and can climb out anyway).

I'm wondering what's the best place for him to sleep on a cruise. Bed or pullout sofa with travel rails? Put a mattress on the floor? We've never coslept so I'm not sure I could convince him to sleep between us in a double bed.

Curious what other people have done and what suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Old August 13th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

There was a big thread about this awhile back: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821189

You didn't say if you were driving or flying. If I was driving, I'd bring the cot for sure. People have brought it on a plane, but I haven't been able to convince DH to do that yet.

It also depends on what kind of room you're booking. We're usually in an inside and on most NCL ships that doesn't include a couch. If you're in a room with a couch you could try having that made up for him. Some people have bought the blow up side rails for either the couch bed or the pull down. I wouldn't trust our dd in the pull down. Others have taken the mattress from the pull down and put it on the floor. I'm not sure if that would fit on the floor in an inside room.

Our next cruise with dd will be a couple weeks after she turns three. We're going to Disneyland in a few weeks and we're going to try to get her in a PNP one more time, but that won't work in March. I bought at blow up toddler bed for less than $20 in the camping section of Menards (like Home Depot). It's bigger than I would have thought but we're going to try that. We thought that part of it could stick under the bed, if necessary. Worst case, if that doesn't work, she'll sleep with us. We'll be the ones with bruises at the beach.

1989 Dolphin Sea Breeze (Honeymoon) - Caribbean; 1992 Chandis Americanis- Caribbean; 1995 Regent Sun - Caribbean; 1996 Fascination - Caribbean; 1997 Sensation - Caribbean; 1998 Destiny - Caribbean; 1998 Rotterdam - Mediterranean; 1999 Rhapsody of the Seas - Caribbean; 1999 Elation - Mexican Riviera; 2000 Maasdam - Europe; 2001 R3 - Tahiti; 2002 Empress of the Seas - Bermuda; 2002 Sun - Caribbean; 2003 Star - Hawaii; 2004 Star - Alaska; 2005 Golden Princess - Caribbean; 2006 Jewel - Caribbean; 2006 Crown Princess - Caribbean; 2007 Constellation - Baltic/No. Europe; 2007 Sun - Caribbean; 2008 Emerald Princess - Med.; 2008 Dawn - Caribbean; 2009 Splendor - Mexican Riviera; 2010 Jewel - Caribbean; 2010 Crown Princess - British Isles; 2010 Dawn - Caribbean; 2012 Insignia – South America/Rio; 2012 NYE - Pearl - Caribbean; Pearl - Caribbean, 2014; Breakaway - Bermuda, 2014; Upcoming: NCL Star - Panama Canal, 2014; NCL Pearl -Caribbean, 2015; RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean, 2016

Old August 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
50,000+ Club

If he's a roller, put him on the floor, if there's room. If you have a pullman or sofa bed, bring some swim noodles and put them under the bottom sheet to act like a "curb".... nothing will keep him from climbing out, but it should stop him from rolling out!

He's likely to sleep better on the ship than at home....he may not move much at all!

Old August 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

My 2.5 yr old slept on the sofa bed. Then on our next cruise we go the regalo cot and she slept on that. She will sleep on that again for our next cruise in April and we will get another one for our son who will be 3 then. They are very close to the floor so if they fall out its not a big deal.
Norwegian Jewel- 10/2010 *dd first cruise*
Carnival Pride- 9/2012 *ds first cruise*
Carnival Pride- 5/2013
Norwegian Breakaway- 4/2014

Old August 13th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Senior Editor

I wasn't sure what to search on, but that other thread is entitled the same as this. Super helpful, thanks!

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know if this would actually work but I've put it in my memory for when our little guy gets a bit older... But I read on a post about some parents turning the couch around so that it faces the wall so the little one can't roll off the 'open' side

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
Norwegian Dawn 2008
Carnival Glory 2009
Golden Princess 2011
Oasis Of the Seas 2013
Next up: NCL Pearl Sept 2013

Old August 14th, 2013, 02:36 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorlmac View Post
I don't know if this would actually work but I've put it in my memory for when our little guy gets a bit older... But I read on a post about some parents turning the couch around so that it faces the wall so the little one can't roll off the 'open' side

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
I've read about this option too...seems like it would work well with either a sofa or even better the smaller loveseat.