QM2 computers on board

We2Cruzers

Hi there,

I have read that many passengers are carrying their own lap tops on board since there is in-room wifi, but I'd rather not have to pack and take mine if I don't have to. And, despite the changing times, I do not have a smart phone (yet) though I understand many passengers are using those when they are in or near ports that enable them to connect thus skipping the hefty rates for using the Cunard system.

Know this must have been addressed someplace, so please excuse my posting if it is redundant, but searching through to find relevant posts wasn't working - so here's the question.

Now that there are no longer any computer terminals in the library (which I enjoyed using in the past), are there sufficient terminals for use in the Connexions computer room? For those that have used them, when did you find them easiest to get access to?

Thanks for your help.

Hi there,

I have read that many passengers are carrying their own lap tops on board since there is in-room wifi, but I'd rather not have to pack and take mine if I don't have to. And, despite the changing times, I do not have a smart phone (yet) though I understand many passengers are using those when they are in or near ports that enable them to connect thus skipping the hefty rates for using the Cunard system.

Know this must have been addressed someplace, so please excuse my posting if it is redundant, but searching through to find relevant posts wasn't working - so here's the question.

Now that there are no longer any computer terminals in the library (which I enjoyed using in the past), are there sufficient terminals for use in the Connexions computer room? For those that have used them, when did you find them easiest to get access to?

Thanks for your help.

I think there are 10 or 12 computers available and they are busiest at 8.30 to 11am and 3 to 6pm roughly.

Edited by capnpugwash

You should have no problems with availability. They are used much less than in the past.

David.

Hi David. I would have thought that the on-board computers were used more often now due to the new Transportation Security Administration (TSA) laptop rules. I haven't used air travel recently, so I don't know if the new rules would dissuade me from taking my laptop on a flight, but it's good to know that the computers on-board are readily available. Cheers, -S.

Hi David. I would have thought that the on-board computers were used more often now due to the new Transportation Security Administration (TSA) laptop rules. I haven't used air travel recently, so I don't know if the new rules would dissuade me from taking my laptop on a flight, but it's good to know that the computers on-board are readily available. Cheers, -S.

I think it will take a lot of aggravation to dissuade most of us to leave laptops and tablets at home.

We leave early tomorrow morning to board QE in Athens so should find out soon.

David.

I think it will take a lot of aggravation to dissuade most of us to leave laptops and tablets at home.

We leave early tomorrow morning to board QE in Athens so should find out soon.

David.

Yes, I suppose you're right. I noticed many passengers using tablets to take photos. We usually take a laptop and our camera equipment, but lately I've been thinking about getting a tablet to lighten the load, leaving the laptop and camera at home. But I have no idea about the quality of photos taken with a tablet :confused:

David, I hope you both have a wonderful holiday. The Athens weather forecast for the next few days looks glorious! :) Enjoy!

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Yes, I suppose you're right. I noticed many passengers using tablets to take photos. We usually take a laptop and our camera equipment, but lately I've been thinking about getting a tablet to lighten the load, leaving the laptop and camera at home. But I have no idea about the quality of photos taken with a tablet :confused:

Salacia

Some very expensive smartphones and tablets have a good camera. But they only provide for close ups and overviews. Anything in a distance of more than a few yards will be very small. A decent camera with a 12x or20x zoom lens including a wide angle lens is a far better companion on a cruise.

Thanks to all for the great feedback. So nice to know it will not be a problem getting on the computers in Connexions. And Cap'n appreciate your providing best times to try that.

I admit to having a small problem keeping bags light :o - though this time I am really trying to do just that. One less item to think about taking is great.

Since cameras on our phones are not very good, we do bring cameras along - And we both have gotten so used to reading on Kindles we wouldn't want to travel without them. But I think that will do for us technology-wise for this trip.

Once again, thanks all for the information. :)

If you have TSA Precheck, flying is like it's 1999 again. Laptop and your 3-1-1 bag stays in the carry-on, shoes stay on... It costs something like $80 but many people find it to be worth the cost.

If you have TSA Precheck, flying is like it's 1999 again. Laptop and your 3-1-1 bag stays in the carry-on, shoes stay on... It costs something like $80 but many people find it to be worth the cost.

Thanks, Underwatr, for that reference. I checked the program out, and I qualify. But it kind of creeped me out. I understand why security needs to be enhanced, but that doesn't mean I like it - nor do I think the TSA Precheck is an effective security measure. Actually, I think it's a really bad idea. http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/application-program

Salacia

The room is busy all the time but you can usually get a computer. The internet manager is very nice, unlike the jerk they had last year.

I ran into a problem last year that Yahoo and Hotmail did not like the ship's address. I have my tablet this year & the WiFi is good in most areas.

A friend sitting here with me right now confirms she has been using the ship's computers and had no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The computers in Conections on QE were unused most times I passed. Those in the library were used more, and it may soon be that those will be the only ones available. Most passengers were using their own.

I found the service a bit slow but quite reliable. Mostly used it to download the Times every morning.

David.

On our last 2 QM2 TA voyages I have just taken an iPad and that has worked fine on the in-cabin Wi-Fi. However, on I did use the Connections computers on the last sea day before NY on our last WB TA so that I could print off my air boarding passes. There was a waiting time of about 5 minutes to get to a computer and I noted several others were also there to print their air boarding passes.

Bob

The room is busy all the time but you can usually get a computer. The internet manager is very nice, unlike the jerk they had last year.

I ran into a problem last year that Yahoo and Hotmail did not like the ship's address. I have my tablet this year & the WiFi is good in most areas.

A friend sitting here with me right now confirms she has been using the ship's computers and had no problem.

I may be the friend lannp was talking about as I did use the computers on the ship on a daily basis. I would go in after breakfast around 9:30am or so and found only a few computers being used at that time. I was in there in the afternoon around 3:30 or so only one time to confirm my plane ticket for the next day. It was busy in there, however, I believe it was due to people checking in for their airlines. It was a lot slower with so many people. I had no problems with the computer at all. I did not take anything with me, but relied upon the ships computer room. As lannp stated the internet manager was very responsive as I had a few questions and he went out of his way to help me.

Soontoretire