What do you do with your dog

bobbisailsolo

I would very much like to take a world cruise, or even a "grand adventure" My problem is that I have 3 dogs, and no family member willing to watch them. I cant imagine boarding them for that long a period, even though we have some very good facilities in the area. Just wondering what most folks do with their dogs on a long journey. Thanks

Does a nearby friend or family member have a responsible young adult living at home trying to save money to buy a house or pay off student loans? They might be thrilled to live in your home while you are gone rent free in exchange for taking care if the dogs. Of course you will want to spell out everything you expect from them, discuss who they may invite over (if anyone) , discuss who will pay utilities, what is normal wear and tear versus damage and how it will be handled, etc. Might be an option. When I was 22 I was living at home as I was engaged and didn't want to sign a new lease five months before my wedding, and I would have jumped through hoops for an opportunity like that.

Ducklite, wish I did have someone like that. Last time I trusted my nephew to stay and watch the dogs I returned to find a new dining chair chewed up! That's an idea thought. Giving someone a free place to live for a few months ... I live near a small college. Maybe I could post something there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather than posting something randomly, do you know anyone who works for the college? Perhaps a professor friend knows of an older or grad student that they would trust and recommend. I found a pet sitter that way years ago, through a college professor.

• 2 weeks later...
I would very much like to take a world cruise, or even a "grand adventure" My problem is that I have 3 dogs, and no family member willing to watch them. I cant imagine boarding them for that long a period, even though we have some very good facilities in the area. Just wondering what most folks do with their dogs on a long journey. Thanks

Hi Bobbisailsolo, we have two and have had three dogs all our retired life and we have wonderful dog sitters who come in and look after them and we just add this as a travel cost as they are super happy at home in their own surroundings. We have been doing this for 20 years and it works out miles cheaper for us than kennels would. Our dog sitters have references and come in Twice a day to feed, walk, pooper scoop, put bins out, pick up mail, start the car etc and we have NEVER had a problem. It's a fabulous safety feature too as their is always someone coming and going. I leave the radio on during the day and light on at night till 10ish and it just looks like we are home and it's background noise for the dogs which I assure myself they like, lol!!!

Google dog sitters/walkers in your home town and sure you'll find several.

Cheers Wendy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I dog sit for my kids when they take off, either for a night or weeks. Believe me, once they are gone, the dogs consider this home, and my husband and I are their new parents. Of course I don't tell my kids that. The kids leave extensive instructions on now to deal with their "homesickness". But, it is truly out of sight out of mind, when they are here. If you can find a compatible sitter and have trial sleep overs in the months before you leave, they will adjust. I think 3 months might be a little long to have someone just check on them, but I can see that working too.

I've had very bad luck every time I've had someone i "trusted" come to feed the dogs, water the flowers, get the mail, etc. from leaving on the hose outside and coming home to a flooded basement, to not latching a door properly and a storm blowing it open for days, to having a party (well, that one was my responsible college son") And another time the hot tub cover was left off. All different responsible persons known to me. If you are able to find someone, hold on to them and pay them accordingly! I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone new for your world cruise, but maybe test them a few times on shorter trips.

Good luck to you, we are taking our world cruise in 6 months!

I would not allow a stranger to live free in my home watching a pet. Rent your place out if necessary to do the long cruise and board at a local vet. In case anything happens to pet , you are covered.

My husband and I went to a wedding at an AI in Mexico followed by 20 days on the Emerald Princess. We were stumped about what to do with our dogs for 28 days. We asked the lady who teaches our obedience classes as the Humane society and she recommended a young lady who used to be an animal control officer there. We Contacted her and asked for references and found out that her references included most of the board of directors at the humane society. They had used her services in the past with great satisfaction. We pay her $40 a day for three Australian shepherds. One very geriatric 14 year old girl and our 8 month old boy and my daughters 3 year old. She earned every penny!

Wow... I had a quote for 3 dogs of 90 a day... Which is way to high. 50 is doable if I could find someone.., the other issue is my 93 year old mother lives with me, and would not consider letting someone stay at the house. I would just hate to board them for 2 or 3 months

I spend $80 a day for three large breed dogs, which includes her staying overnight in the guest room, as two of the dogs seldom make it through the night without needing to go out. Fortunately our son is willing to care for them while we travel, and a dog loving neighbor does a mid day walk while he is working. We only need the pet sitter when attending a family event which our son will be also attending.

I would not allow a stranger to live free in my home watching a pet. Rent your place out if necessary to do the long cruise and board at a local vet. In case anything happens to pet , you are covered.

Your animals are far more likely to stress out or get sick while boarding at the vet. If you must board, you are better off with a private kennel. Think about the dogs that go to the vet--many are sick with Bordatello, parvovirus, distemper, pneumonia, etc. I try to limit my dogs exposure to these airborne diseases as much as possible.

Well run private kennels don't accept sick dogs, have large private crate free rooms for the animals, and lot's of time indoors and out for play. Additionally most boarding places have someone in sight 24/7. At the vet they are crated the entire time except when turned out a few times a day for potty breaks, and the animals are locked in and alone at night.

Edited by ducklite

The last time I boarded just one, at a really nice doggie day care, I got a call she was coughing. Had to have my son go get her... I was in Greece. So I had nowhere to board her. No one would take her. It was a real pain. Turned out she wasn't even sick.., just coughing from barking too much. So I'm back to square one. I've heard of farms that will take them. Maybe I can't find something like that...

We have a German Shepherd and a Labrador, with a cat. Normally our daughter and son-in-law keep them when we are away. On the rare occasion that they are also away we have a friend or one of our kid's friends come and look after our house and the pets.

We are very selective and only select those that know us well and also our pets. Normally have a queue of volunteers to choose from.