Celebrity Solstice Cabin Preference 2D?

LuckiePuris

Hi guys,

Looking at booking my first Celebrity cruise onboard Solstice for March 2015.

Have previously cruised with other lines and always on the look out for more favourable cabins such as ones on the hump with extra large balcony etc.

This time we're not wanting to spend as much, so we're looking at doing a 2D obstructed verandah balcony.

Prefer midship or there abouts.

Any more favourable cabins I should look out for when I book tomorrow?

Etc less obstructed, middle gap between obstruction, larger balcony.

Thanks for your help in advance!

What is the date of your cruise?

On the March 14th cruise from Sydney I don't see that a 2D is listed. The difference between an obstructed 2C and 1B (many on hump) is minimal and about $70 pp.

On the March 22nd cruise the difference between a 2D and a 2A is only $50 pp and a 1C is only slightly more.

You may want to rethink your choice of a 2D as you can get a fully unobstructed cabin for a very small percentage of the total cruise price.

PS: Most obstructed cabins are on Deck 6 of the S class ships..........a 2D may not get your choice of "mid ship" as the lowest cost obstructed are often fore or aft.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

The last 8 or so AFT verandas CAT 2C 'obstructed' on S-class are usually cheapest and have larger balcony space, maybe 2 ft deeper.

'Obstruction' is directly below due to 10tf? roof extension of restaurant so you can't see directly down to water by ship's hull. Horizontally view is 180-degree like most other verandas.

Had such a cabin in May on Reflection and upcoming Equinox in Dec. It is further from central stair/elevators. Happy Cruising

Personally, if I were picking a cabin in 2D I'd be more concerned about being as close as possible to mid ship elevators than the relative obstruction compared to other 2D cabins. You can also look at the "sticky: thread on S class Cabin Information at the top of the Celebrity forum here for comments on specific cabins.

One other key point: I noticed from your signature that you've been on a three or four RCL cruises. This might give you a benefit under Celebrity Captain's Club as there is some reciprocity between the Captain's Club and RCL's Crown and Anchor club. This might depend on achieving a minimum Crown and Anchor level so I'm not positive it will apply but you should definitely contact Celebrity's Captain's club to find out. There is a basic benefit of a one-category upgrade on Celebrity for Captain's Club which must be arraigned at the time of your initial booking. This would mean that you could get a category 2C cabin for the price of a Category 2D cabin so if your budget is limiting you to a 2D then it is worth checking out.

Edited by Lsimon

Personally, if I were picking a cabin in 2D I'd be more concerned about being as close as possible to mid ship elevators than the relative obstruction compared to other 2D cabins. You can also look at the "sticky: thread on S class Cabin Information at the top of the Celebrity forum here for comments on specific cabins.

One other key point: I noticed from your signature that you've been on a three or four RCL cruises. This might give you a benefit under Celebrity Captain's Club as there is some reciprocity between the Captain's Club and RCL's Crown and Anchor club. This might depend on achieving a minimum Crown and Anchor level so I'm not positive it will apply but you should definitely contact Celebrity's Captain's club to find out. There is a basic benefit of a one-category upgrade on Celebrity for Captain's Club which must be arraigned at the time of your initial booking. This would mean that you could get a category 2C cabin for the price of a Category 2D cabin so if your budget is limiting you to a 2D then it is worth checking out.

Thank you very much everyone for your advice. We ended up going with a un obstructed balcony.

Thank you also Lsimon for the mention of membership programs. I was able to get reciprocal status on Celebrity which is fantastic. Thanks very much again for the suggestion!