NCL impressions: Confirm or correct

jasbo49

Hello all. My wife and I have been on just one NCL cruise, the Jewel to Alaska in late spring 2012. But on that cruise we got some impressions in relation to our other cruises, more on Carnival than others, but five lines. I'm curious to know whether others would be able to confirm these recollections or correct them.

Here goes:

1. Entertainment overall seemed superior to Carnival, Princess and any other line we've been on. Partly the production shows, but mostly the individual acts (Fire & Ice, magician-comedian J.P. a hypnotist whose name escapes me).

2. The main theater seemed really cramped. Never seen so many seats squeezed together with no room to move. Much tighter than any other cruise ship we've sailed.

3. Buffet seemed more interesting that other lines, with more "action stations," as they call them. Not just omlets at breakfast, but fresh pasta at lunch or dinner and other things.

4. While the buffet impressed us, the MDR didn't seem to offer anything remarkable. There were some fish entrees we enjoyed (maybe because we were in Alaska), but really nothing else memorable. This is an issue to us because we don't eat at the extra-charge places.

5. The furnishings in cabins and some other places seemed kind of Spartan. More metal than wood, more square than rounded.

6. More small, intimate spaces and fewer huge, grand ones? Again, just an impression.

So I'm curious whether people think these seem on the mark, or whether they are notions that came from one ship, one cruise and aren't accurate.

Jim

Hello all. My wife and I have been on just one NCL cruise, the Jewel to Alaska in late spring 2012. But on that cruise we got some impressions in relation to our other cruises, more on Carnival than others, but five lines. I'm curious to know whether others would be able to confirm these recollections or correct them.

Here goes:

1. Entertainment overall seemed superior to Carnival, Princess and any other line we've been on. Partly the production shows, but mostly the individual acts (Fire & Ice, magician-comedian J.P. a hypnotist whose name escapes me).

2. The main theater seemed really cramped. Never seen so many seats squeezed together with no room to move. Much tighter than any other cruise ship we've sailed.

3. Buffet seemed more interesting that other lines, with more "action stations," as they call them. Not just omlets at breakfast, but fresh pasta at lunch or dinner and other things.

4. While the buffet impressed us, the MDR didn't seem to offer anything remarkable. There were some fish entrees we enjoyed (maybe because we were in Alaska), but really nothing else memorable. This is an issue to us because we don't eat at the extra-charge places.

5. The furnishings in cabins and some other places seemed kind of Spartan. More metal than wood, more square than rounded.

6. More small, intimate spaces and fewer huge, grand ones? Again, just an impression.

So I'm curious whether people think these seem on the mark, or whether they are notions that came from one ship, one cruise and aren't accurate.

Jim

I agree. Well said.

Here goes:

Jim

I haven't been on the other cruise lines so I can't comment. However I have been on 18 NCL cruises and if you had Fire and Ice onboard they are in my opinion the best duo. I've been lucky enough to have them onboard for four cruises. They always seem to draw a large crowd. Patti and Jose are great too, but I've only had them on one cruise. Generally speaking, the entertainment going out U.S. Ports is superior to the European cruises, including the comedians as it caters to the U.S. Crowd not the European. Again just my opinion.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by karoo

Here goes:

Jim

The MDR is getting a brand new series of 12 rotating menus, to create lots of variety. Google Norwegian NEXT for more details.

The other things you've mentioned vary by cabin, and by ship. For example when the ships had the big Spinnaker Lounge, it had sumptuous velveteen curvy things which I interpreted to be seating...

Otherwise, most every space I can think of was curved. Granted, there isn't a lot of wood panelling...these are ships, not 1970's basements, nor the library at Downton Abbey.

If you want to refresh your memory on certain things, there are a few great ways to do so. The best is to search YouTube for video of either the ship, or the cabin in which you are interested. Chances are somebody has video of it.

Next is Google...and then choose the Images tab at the top of the results page. You'll find visual reminders.

Lastly, reviews on CC. Many posters are great photographers, and document their trips in quite a bit of detail.

Enjoy your Dawn cruise....we were on her not too long ago, and had a wonderful time.

Stephen

Spinnaker on Jewel and Pearl in 2012 are wide open and lovely. Spirit has the worst theater I've been in. Sorry I can't help you with the Dawn theater.

I've been on 7 cruise lines and I like the entertainment on NCL best of them all.

Jim

Yeah, those are notions from one ship. You know that.

The first time I cruised NCL it was on the Spirit. Based on that experience, I never would have chosen NCL again... Except I knew better than to base my entire opinion of an entire cruise line on one single trip on one single ship. You know better than to do that, too.

My next cruise with NCL on Getaway was one of my best cruises. Thankfully, I hadn't written off NCL. Heck, I might even sail the Spirit again, since my prior issues might have just been a one time thing.

Spinnaker on Jewel and Pearl in 2012 are wide open and lovely. Spirit has the worst theater I've been in. Sorry I can't help you with the Dawn theater.

I've been on 7 cruise lines and I like the entertainment on NCL best of them all.

I agree Susie, the Spirit has the worst theater I've ever been in on a ship and since it's at the rear of the ship you enter at the front near the stage. My sister got locked out of the show when she got up just before showtime to use the restroom. There was no legroom for my 6'6" hubby, it was designed and built for Asia before NCL acquired it and sister ship Star. We suffered through it because the entertainment was excellent.

I agree with many of the OP's observations so far as the Jewel-class ships, but don't necessarily think the same observations apply to the whole fleet.

FWIW, I found several excellent things to eat in the MDR and I loved the Spirit's theatre, mostly because they had solo chairs sort of set of by themselves scattered here and there throughout the theatre. I loved those, and never had a problem finding a place to sit.

NCL has a wide variety of ships so most of the points have been made already. Some things are individual based on the ship (size of the theater, open spaces vs. intimate spaces, etc.) The MDR food has been pretty consistent throughout our cruise experience with NCL, which is to say OK.

I've never had a bad meal there, but my expectation is that it will be like any "food for the masses" venue and not fine dining. There are standard options available throughout the cruise, and then new entrees each night.

What I like about NCL is that my wife and I can get a table for two, at the windows in the aft dining room, and have a nice intimate dinner. We aren't seated with 6 strangers, or 6 people chosen randomly to be "at our table" for the cruise. The Freestyle concept is baked into the cake with NCL, and not grafted on as "anytime dining" that produces a frown when you ask to be seated as a couple.

While the MDR has never really been below my expectations, the specialty restaurants have been. I'm in a distinct minority on this, but I believe Cagney's is highly overrated and not worth the $30 per person (or the calculated $42 per person I use because it replaces a MDR meal I value at $12). On the Sun, our service in Cagneys was slow, the sides were cold and the steak - filet mignon - was not as good as a common steak house like Outback on shore.

So, if you're a foodie, NCL probably isn't the line to cruise on (and from my experience, neither are Disney or Princess).

Thanks for the replies. Maybe my biggest concern is the main theater (I guess that's the Stardust on the Dawn). Is it cramped like the one on the Jewel?

Jim

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ncl+dawn+theater&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wI5nVKj0JcipyAS7koDQCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1721&bih=937

NCL has a wide variety of ships so most of the points have been made already. Some things are individual based on the ship (size of the theater, open spaces vs. intimate spaces, etc.) The MDR food has been pretty consistent throughout our cruise experience with NCL, which is to say OK.

I've never had a bad meal there, but my expectation is that it will be like any "food for the masses" venue and not fine dining. There are standard options available throughout the cruise, and then new entrees each night.

What I like about NCL is that my wife and I can get a table for two, at the windows in the aft dining room, and have a nice intimate dinner. We aren't seated with 6 strangers, or 6 people chosen randomly to be "at our table" for the cruise. The Freestyle concept is baked into the cake with NCL, and not grafted on as "anytime dining" that produces a frown when you ask to be seated as a couple.

While the MDR has never really been below my expectations, the specialty restaurants have been. I'm in a distinct minority on this, but I believe Cagney's is highly overrated and not worth the $30 per person (or the calculated $42 per person I use because it replaces a MDR meal I value at $12). On the Sun, our service in Cagneys was slow, the sides were cold and the steak - filet mignon - was not as good as a common steak house like Outback on shore.

So, if you're a foodie, NCL probably isn't the line to cruise on (and from my experience, neither are Disney or Princess).

I apologize for going off topic, but as far as free style dining on NCL vs. "anytime dining". DW and I have requested a table for two for every dinner on: anytime dining on Carnival, your time dining on several cruises on RCCL, and select dining on even more cruises on X. It has never produced a frown on the face of any Maitre'd or assistant Maitre'd, ever.

Do you DEMAND vehemently or just ask nicely?

Harvey

I apologize for going off topic, but as far as free style dining on NCL vs. "anytime dining". DW and I have requested a table for two for every dinner on: anytime dining on Carnival, your time dining on several cruises on RCCL, and select dining on even more cruises on X. It has never produced a frown on the face of any Maitre'd or assistant Maitre'd, ever.

Do you DEMAND vehemently or just ask nicely?

Harvey

I'm so very happy you have had a nice experience, and felt the urgent need to advise me! I will certainly add this to my list of Internet forum corrections to be reviewed from time to time, and will remember to add extensive qualifiers when stating my opinion and experiences from now on. Including now:

Note to all readers: your response to such an off-topic post may or may not be the same as mine, and my response is not meant in any way to offend, harass, infer or color your opinions, or feelings in any way. My opinions are stated from my frame of reference, and are not meant to degrade, offend, or otherwise hurt people of Irish, German, English, native American or other descent, as I make no representation that my opinions represent those with my same heritage; nor do I offer my opinions as the final word for people not sharing my heritage or frame of reference. You may or may not have the same experiences, and I will not in any way infer that you acted badly because your experience was different than mine, nor will I insist my experiences are typical or expected. This notice may contain tree nuts. Gluten free.

I do which NCL would pattern their theaters after Carnival's. I love the little tables and the loungers that rotate. I have not been on any of the NCL super ships so maybe that changed.

I found all the theaters uncomfortable and so did DH. He is VERY tall and was never comfortable during a show unless he was on one of the ends. Heaven forbid that you want to get up and leave before it is over. It feels like you have to step over everyone.

I think your observations are spot on except for the furnishings. That varies by ship. If you like curvy, I think the Epic has that on lock.

I think your observations are spot on except for the furnishings. That varies by ship. If you like curvy, I think the Epic has that on lock.

I should have been more specific on the "square and metal" furnishings. Mostly it's the cabins, and a little bit the seating in the buffet area.

If you compare balcony cabin pictures between NCL and Princess (or almost any other major line), you'll see NCL's tables, chairs and bedside tables are just plain plain. They're functional but ugly. There are worse things, but it's noticeable.

Jim

I'm so very happy you have had a nice experience, and felt the urgent need to advise me! I will certainly add this to my list of Internet forum corrections to be reviewed from time to time, and will remember to add extensive qualifiers when stating my opinion and experiences from now on. Including now:

Note to all readers: your response to such an off-topic post may or may not be the same as mine, and my response is not meant in any way to offend, harass, infer or color your opinions, or feelings in any way. My opinions are stated from my frame of reference, and are not meant to degrade, offend, or otherwise hurt people of Irish, German, English, native American or other descent, as I make no representation that my opinions represent those with my same heritage; nor do I offer my opinions as the final word for people not sharing my heritage or frame of reference. You may or may not have the same experiences, and I will not in any way infer that you acted badly because your experience was different than mine, nor will I insist my experiences are typical or expected. This notice may contain tree nuts. Gluten free.

I'm not quite sure why you felt it necessary to take offense to my post. I was merely relating my experiences, and possibly implying that your experience may have been either an anomaly, your perception, or a reaction to your attitude.

The advice you claim I was offering was purposely in the form of a question. Maybe to induce some thinking on your part of how nasty you can be. Your response to me shows just that.

Happy cruising.

Harvey