Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( Australia )

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Norovirus - not just a cruise ship problem

Norovirus - not just a cruise ship problem. See the attached story about a breakout at the Royal Brisbane Hospital.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...68-952,00.html

Booked!
Rhapsody of the Seas - 10N Pacific Islands 17Dec2011 (Cancelled)
Pacific Pearl - 6N Melb. Cup 29Oct2011 (cancelled due to floods in Brisbane)

Sailed!
Volendam - 16N Xmas/NYE Cruise around NZ 17Dec2010
Pacific Dawn - 7N Pacific Islands 20Nov2010
Pacific Sun - 2N Newcastle/Brisbane 8Sept2010
Pacific Dawn - 3N Short Break 4Aug2010
Pacific Dawn - 7N Nth Qld 29May2010
Pacific Dawn - 9N Xmas Cruise 19Dec2009
Dawn Princess - 2N B2B Sydney-Brisbane 5Jun2009
Dawn Princess - 13N Pacific Islands 23May2009
Rhapsody of the Seas - 17N Sydney to Singapore 24Nov2007
Sapphire Princess - 12N Auckland to Sydney 16Feb2007
Pacific Star - 10N Pacific Islands 25Mar2006
Pacific Sky - 7N New Caledonia 04Dec2004

Old July 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmar View Post
Norovirus - not just a cruise ship problem. See the attached story about a breakout at the Royal Brisbane Hospital.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...68-952,00.html

Yes, but one of the news services was quick to remind viewers of the outbreak on Pacific Sun last year (while showing footage of Pacific Star at Portside).

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)

__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)

Old July 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I saw on the news that it is also at the Gold Coast Hospital, too. The best way to avoid it is to keep washing your hands.

Best wishes from Pink Poodle

Old July 21st, 2007, 12:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

It still surprises me the number of people who do not wash their hands after they have been to the toilet! Don't forget to wash your hands for 20 seconds. Singing "Happy Birthday" while washing your hands is about the right time.

Cheers,
Charmain

Old July 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

My brother has it at his work. He says it is only a matter of time before his ward gets it.
His ward has had it in the past, and just hope that it doesn't. It was so hard having him 'seperated' from the rest of us. I wash my hands with anti-bacterial gel after washing my hands just to be safe.
On my Diamond Princess cruise last year, they had a staff member at the entrance to the buffets with the gel. If you didn't gel your hands, you didn't get in to the food areas. Where as on the Voyager, it was at the entrances, but wasn't compulsory. It was a good habit to get into.

Up next:
Brilliance of the Seas ~ Scandanavia & Russia 19th August 2014

followed by:
Brilliance of the Seas Transatlantic cruise via Iceland 31st August 2014

Past Cruises:
Radiance of the Seas ~ South Pacific March 2012

Carnival Valor ~ Western Caribbean August 2011

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Sydney to Honolulu April 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Perth to Sydney March 2009

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Sydney to Perth February 2009

Pacific Sun ~ New Caledonia October 2007

Diamond Princess ~Mexican Riviera October 2006

Voyager of the Seas ~ Western Caribbean October 2005

Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska June 2004

Facebook Group - Australia & NZ Cruise Addicts and other friends from all over the world

Last edited by AuzzieCruiser; July 21st, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Very bad spelling!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzzieCruiser View Post
On my Diamond Princess cruise last year, they had a staff member at the entrance to the buffets with the gel. If you didn't gel your hands, you didn't get in to the food areas. Where as on the Voyager, it was at the entrances, but wasn't compulsory. It was a good habit to get into.
On our Pacific Sky cruise in 2004 they were doing that, and to a lesser degree on our Pacific Sun cruise in 2005, but by on Pacific Star they weren't doing it, which suprised me a lot.

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)

__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)

Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz cruiser View Post
It still surprises me the number of people who do not wash their hands after they have been to the toilet! Don't forget to wash your hands for 20 seconds. Singing "Happy Birthday" while washing your hands is about the right time.

Cheers,
Charmain
Great hint Charmain, but do you get any strange looks when singing happy birthday in public toilets ? And agree, I feel like tapping some people on the shoulder as they leave the loos without washing their hands. Esp if they are wearing a uniform for a food service outlet in a shopping centre. YUCK !

Thailand & Cambodia (Siem Reap) Oct 07
Pacific Star, Week Fantastique, Sep 07

Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzzieCruiser View Post
On my Diamond Princess cruise last year, they had a staff member at the entrance to the buffets with the gel. If you didn't gel your hands, you didn't get in to the food areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrules View Post
On our Pacific Sky cruise in 2004 they were doing that, and to a lesser degree on our Pacific Sun cruise in 2005, but by on Pacific Star they weren't doing it, which suprised me a lot.
They did that on the Star in december but not on the first one in March. Same at the buffet as well. There would usually be a few containers of the gel stuff placed around the ship as well.
Pacific Sun - N906 Week Fantastique 14 February 2009

Coming Up
Dawn Princess - D910 Sampler Cruise June 5 2009
The Beer Garden

My Photo Gallery (not of the cruise kind though)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffraff View Post
but I guess it's not the size that matters, it's how tall the pointy bits are!

Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

When we were on the Star in January/February this year, everyone had to be 'squirted' before entering the dining room or the buffet for any meal and when coming back on-board after visiting a port.

I also have a handbag size bottle of the gel with me most of the time as well (Yep paranoia is my middle name!!)

Past Cruises:
R705 - Pacific Star 27/1/07 - 8/2/07 (Noumea, Lifou, Vila)
N809N - Pacific Sun 23/2/08 - 6/3/08 (Noumea, Isle of Pines, Suva, SavuSavu, Vila, Champagne Bay)
N913 - Pacific Sun 9/4/09 - 18/4/09 (Noumea, Lifou, Mystery Island - missed due to weather, Vila - 2 days, Champagne Bay)
W043N - Pacific Dawn 27/11/10 - 11/12/10 (Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Lyttleton, Port Chalmers, Fjordland)
N213 - Pacific Sun 29/3/12 - 1/4/12 (Comedy Cruise) B2B with ...
N214 - Pacific Sun 1/4/12- 8/4/12 (Noumea, Lifou, Vila)
W314 - Pacific Dawn 6/4/13- 13/4/13 (Noumea, Lifou, Vila)

J426 - Pacific Jewel 29/6/14 (Noumea, Mare, Vila)

Future Cruises

W434 - Sea Princess 19/12/14 - Christmas Cruise (Lifou, Luganville, Port Denarau, Suva)
C430 - Pacific Dawn Comedy Cruise 6/0/14 (Airlie Beach)
V510 - Lusitania Remembered -Queen Victoria 19/12/15 (Southampton, Saint Peter Port, Le Havre, Cork, Dublin, Southampton)
Q507 - Liverpool Salute - Queen Elizabeth - 11/5/15 - (Southampton, Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm,Tallinn, Sait Petersburg, Warnemunde, Kirkwall, Liverpool, Southampton)
M507 - Westbound Transatlantic Crossing - Queen Mary 2 - 27/5/14 (Southampton, New York)[/b]

Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAussie100 View Post
Great hint Charmain, but do you get any strange looks when singing happy birthday in public toilets ? And agree, I feel like tapping some people on the shoulder as they leave the loos without washing their hands. Esp if they are wearing a uniform for a food service outlet in a shopping centre. YUCK !
Only when I wear Mum's silly Happy Birthday hat!!

Cheers,
Charmain

Old July 31st, 2007, 07:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is a huge problem everywhere! I am a nurse and without naming the hospital the Noravirus is raging! I worked with so many people and wards with it! I prayed I wouldnt get or bring anything home to my family. It makes it hard for nurses thats for sure as we have to work in it. Not nice for the patients either. I carry antibacterial handwash with me all the time and the kids do as well and use it (no need for water) we use it all the time. Never know when you will pick up a germ!

Pacific Sun November, 2005
Pacific Star October, 2007
Pacific Sun March, 2008

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

my mother is in a nursing home in brisbane and has just got back from a
week in hospital with that nasty virus. apparantly it is rampant, they had 3 wards full, i won't name the hospital. even the nursing home is denying it. when we were on our cruise in the med last year, we wouldn't even dream of entering the buffet or dining room without using the sanitisers, same as getting back on the ship. we had heard of what could happen and were quite paranoid about getting sick

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I must cut in here as I also work in AGED CARE and yes this is a real problem at present. The hand wash (anti bac) is good but good hand washing is the best way,and chaz so glad you remenbered happy birthday wish my nurses would.
This virus is also air bourne and this is why if any one in your family get it they should stay inside and not mix for 24hrs after last vomit or poo (good nursing talk)
So if you are on a cruise and end up with the virus listen to them and stay in your room, if you get it at home stay home this the only way to stop it getting worse, and becoming a outbreak.
The reason that nursing homes get it bad when they do it is brought by visiters and due to thier frail health.
Leson over for today

Old August 1st, 2007, 06:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

I didnt explain myself correctly. I meant to say handwashing and anti bac inbetween thats for sure. Definetly!

Pacific Sun November, 2005
Pacific Star October, 2007
Pacific Sun March, 2008