The Little secrets on the Ryndam

marycang

What are the Little Secrets on the Ryndam that the 1st time cruiser wouldn't know? For example ordering something amazing for breakfast or lunch or dinner. Can you get lobster for dinner if you order it early? Or where is the best place to hide out from the crowds. What can you get from your steward for your cabin. Hope you know what I mean. Would love to hear from you all.

We'll be on the Ryndam soon, but I don't suspect to find any secrets...the amenities are pretty much consistent fleetwide. The only thing I would consider a "secret" is the deck space on the stern of the Veranda deck...if it's consistent with the Maasdam. Only reason we found it is we had a stateroom on the stern next to it.

I don't understand what you mean about what you can get from your steward. :confused:

The stewards the same thing fleet wide.

Make your bed, fill your ice bucket, clean your bathroom, sweep the carpets, replace soaps as needed, change towels as needed, evening they come and fix your bed, put out chocolates, fill the ice bucket, check the bathroom. Towel animal

Just the same things you find on other ships.

HAL is not in the deluxe category of cruise lines and there is little of 'if you order it early, can you have lobster'. :) Please do not count on that. Silverseas and Seabourn possibly may provide that but HAL will not on any 'to be expected' basis.

You won't find lots of 'crowds' on Ryndam. The "S" class ships of HAL (except for Veendam) have good space per passenger ratio. Certainly, Lido at breakfast time will feel somewhat crowded if everyone arrives roughly the same time but that can be avoided by having breakfast in MDR or if you are in a Deluxe Veranda Suite or PS, you can have breakfast in Pinnacle.

Room Service is also a wonderful option. HAL serves a full hot room service breakfast. If there is something you would like for breakfast that is not on the door hangtag menu your steward will leave each evening for you to complete for breakfast room service.... write it in. They make every effort to accomodate and most of the time deliver that item. This IS a case of ask for it and you likely will receive it. :)

One "secret" on all HAL ships is that you can order room service dinner with the items from the main dining room menu for that day. You have to call during a set time, for delivery at any normal time, so call room serivce and ask for the rules on this.

This is great if you are not feeling up to going to the MDR, or just want a quiet dinner in you cabin.

DaveOKC

We'll be on the Ryndam soon, but I don't suspect to find any secrets...the amenities are pretty much consistent fleetwide. The only thing I would consider a "secret" is the deck space on the stern of the Veranda deck...if it's consistent with the Maasdam. Only reason we found it is we had a stateroom on the stern next to it.

I don't understand what you mean about what you can get from your steward. :confused:

It's there, Sheila. Used it almost daily and, yes, it is still a "secret".

:) To get to the 'secret' deck space, which is actually very nice,,,,,,

Go all the way aft to the flag on the stern at Navigation Deck pool and you will see a metal staircase. Go down the one flight to Veranda Deck and there are usually lounge chairs and sometimes a table or two with chairs.

I would say one of the other great "secrets" is access to the bow from the promenade. Walk the deck to the bow (pointy end) and you will see a short set of stairs which lead to a hatch type door. If open, and if you are in calm winds and seas (best found in the Southern Caribbean when making a short, slow transit over-nite) you can go out on the bow area. Great for star-gazing and is something I've done a number of times.

You can also access the bow of an "S" class ship through the forward (stage) end of the Show Lounge, lower level. Go straight back, on the starboard side and pass through the steel doors.

Watch your step..... there is a big step. :)

You can alos access the bow through the forward (stage) end of the Show Lounge, lower level. Go straight back, on the starboard side and pass through the steel doors.

Now I did not know that. You really are a wealth of information. Thanks.:)

:) Happy to help.

Please note the access to Vista Class Ship bow is from a passenger cabin deck. ;)

It is very different access than the "S" ships.

Funny - it never even occurred to me to try it on a Vista class. Thanks again.

You can also access the bow of an "S" class ship through the forward (stage) end of the Show Lounge, lower level. Go straight back, on the starboard side and pass through the steel doors.

Thanks! We will try that.... ;)

We go to the bow every cruise so we can see the Bell. :)

Our cruises aren't complete without a trip to the bow.

So wait a minute...you can go out there whenever? I thought it was only on officially sanctioned times, like when we were sailing into Juneau, or glacier viewing in Alaska.

So wait a minute...you can go out there whenever? I thought it was only on officially sanctioned times, like when we were sailing into Juneau, or glacier viewing in Alaska.

No, you cannot go at will.

We have gone at times with specific permission. We asked and we were permitted and sometimes have even been accompanied. ;)

Clearly if you find the door locked, you cannot go to the bow. they have a clear view of the bow from the bridge and know if there is someone out there.

Have to admit to never asking permission. But have only gone out there on very calm nights when the ship is moving slowly and when the hatch was open. Use your own judgement, but please note that I have a LOT of time at sea.

Archived