Navigator cheapie cabin

powlan

We booked passage on the Panama Canal cruise because it was such a phenomenal deal and even booked the least expensive cabin (deck H). We thought that perhaps we'd get upgraded or even offered an upgrade at a reasonable price. Any idea what would be a "better cabin" for a reasonable price. To me a reasonable price is $150-$200 pp. Even if we didn't get an offer we'd be happy.

I love H cabins on Deck 5. If you don't feel you need a balcony, no reason to look for an upsell. When the balcony cabins on Deck 6 were Cat F, they were a good deal; now they are Cat E and not so good deal, in my not so humble opinion.

Marc

Having recently returned from the West African cruise it is unlikely we would sail again on the Navigator and most certainly not in a cabin aft of midship where, when travelling near full speed, the vibration is terrible. She does not appear to sail well in just moderate waves and swell, say 10/12 feet. We were on deck 10 forward where there was considerable motion but no vibration. However, despite her refit she is showing her age. I acknowledge that one will always have some cabin noise but the rattles and bangs made sleep without earplugs difficult. Not what one would expect on a supposedly 5 star ship.

We booked passage on the Panama Canal cruise because it was such a phenomenal deal and even booked the least expensive cabin (deck H). We thought that perhaps we'd get upgraded or even offered an upgrade at a reasonable price. Any idea what would be a "better cabin" for a reasonable price. To me a reasonable price is $150-$200 pp. Even if we didn't get an offer we'd be happy.

We're on this cruise also in cabin 511. We just thought it would be to hot to enjoy the balcony.We have upgraded on this ship before to a Concierge Suite we don't remember what the $ was.

We are going all the way to Montreal.

Having recently returned from the West African cruise it is unlikely we would sail again on the Navigator and most certainly not in a cabin aft of midship where, when travelling near full speed, the vibration is terrible. She does not appear to sail well in just moderate waves and swell, say 10/12 feet. We were on deck 10 forward where there was considerable motion but no vibration. However, despite her refit she is showing her age. I acknowledge that one will always have some cabin noise but the rattles and bangs made sleep without earplugs difficult. Not what one would expect on a supposedly 5 star ship.

It is unfortunate that you did not read Cruise Critic or speak with your TA prior to booking your cruise. Aft suites on the Navigator have a significant vibration (but is not as bad as it used to be -- multi-millions of dollars have gone into the ship to correct this issue). The forward suites do have both a forward/aft and side to side vibration (typical of any ship). Whether a ship is luxury or mainstream, the builders do not know what the vibration will be until the ship is complete. The key to the Navigator is being on a low deck and mid-ship.

powlan: Any suite that is low and mid-ship on the Navigator is a good suite - regardless of whether it has a balcony. The issue with aft suites is well known but there is an issue with the loud noise of the anchor going down early in the a.m. in forward suites (meaning the first 10 or so forward suites).

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you will receive an upsell offer for the price that you are looking for but stranger things have happened. It depends upon the length of the cruise and the itinerary.

I am assuming the above posts are referring to the June 2017 Panama Canal cruise as we are also booked on that cruise in a Navigator suite (936) and are becoming increasingly concerned about the negative reports of the ship. Unfortunately flying from Australia with business air fares locked in, we are not in a position to change this cruise to a different ship.

Should we continue to be concerned as the excitement/anticipation is slowly waning!!!!!!!!! We have previously sailed on Oceania and Azamara ( which is a tad bigger than Navigator) however the reports of the state of the ship and vibrations are become very real concerns......it is a long way to fly from Australia and be disappointed especially with the cost of the cruise for us which is heaps more than you lucky folk from US have to pay.!!!!!!!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated..........

I am assuming the above posts are referring to the June 2017 Panama Canal cruise as we are also booked on that cruise in a Navigator suite (936) and are becoming increasingly concerned about the negative reports of the ship. Unfortunately flying from Australia with business air fares locked in, we are not in a position to change this cruise to a different ship.

Should we continue to be concerned as the excitement/anticipation is slowly waning!!!!!!!!! We have previously sailed on Oceania and Azamara ( which is a tad bigger than Navigator) however the reports of the state of the ship and vibrations are become very real concerns......it is a long way to fly from Australia and be disappointed especially with the cost of the cruise for us which is heaps more than you lucky folk from US have to pay.!!!!!!!

The suite that you have chosen is mid-ship which is a good thing. Please don't let your "excitement/anticipation" wane as the Navigator is a lovely ship. Those of us that read Cruise Critic would not book an aft suite on the Navigator and most would not book an aft suite on the Voyager but that does not make the choice to sail on these ships wrong.

The suites are a great size and I love their walk-in closets. The main reason that we don't sail on the Navigator as much as the other ships is the size which is bit small for us.

We have sailed on Oceania twice (the newer ships) and have toured one of the smaller ships (like Azamara has). In my opinion, I much prefer the Navigator to Oceania's "R" class ships. In fact, we would not sail on the "R" class ships due to the size of the suites and the bathrooms.

Actually, the Navigator is the favorite ship of many Cruise Critic members. In terms of age, the Navigator was built two years before the Nautica, Insignia and Regatta so she is hardly an old ship.

In terms of negative reviews, Regent's newest ship, the Explorer has received some very harsh reviews. We have sailed on her three times (once was a back-to-back sailing) and find that she lives up to what Regent says about her...... she is the most luxurious ship that we have ever sailed on. So, don't believe everything you read.

Enjoy your Panama Canal cruise - it should be lovely:)

Edited by Travelcat2

We were well aware of the Navigator's vibration issues prior to booking hence deciding on a penthouse well forward. In my opinion there are many good points about the Navigator, the suite size, food and friendly staff to name a few.

She is a small ship and unfortunately on this cruise we had to suffer a large, over 100, bridge group who took over the lounge, which is little more than a foyer to the theatre, plus another room adjacent to the computer area. This left very little inside space when the weather outside was not great. Deck 12 was closed for much of this cruise due to ship movement, with deck 11 also taped off on several occasions. Whilst we enjoyed the cruise mainly due to the itinerary, Navigator was the only cruise ship we have been on when we were glad to disembark.

Whilst we would consider sailing with Regent again it is unlikely it would be on the Navigator as we felt the negative issues outweighed the positive ones. We like to try new options as there are many competitors advertising a similar but in some ways different supposedly luxury product. In our opinion Navigator fell short for us.

I guess we're on the other side of this - we love the Navigator and wouldn't hesitate to sail her again. We had a Navigator suite once (932) and found it to be large, well laid out, and quite comfortable. We had some late night noise from the pool deck several nights that took several calls to the desk to get corrected, but other than that we love the Navigator.

We loved the refit, especially Compass Rose. I was sad to see the Connoisseur Club removed, and yes, there is some vibration aft. But we encountered heavy seas and we all felt that she handled them beautifully. All in all, she's a great ship with a great crew.

Like any other line, if you go searching for things to nitpick, you'll probably find them. But if you just go and enjoy your cruise, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I guess we're on the other side of this - we love the Navigator and wouldn't hesitate to sail her again. We had a Navigator suite once (932) and found it to be large, well laid out, and quite comfortable. We had some late night noise from the pool deck several nights that took several calls to the desk to get corrected, but other than that we love the Navigator.

We loved the refit, especially Compass Rose. I was sad to see the Connoisseur Club removed, and yes, there is some vibration aft. But we encountered heavy seas and we all felt that she handled them beautifully. All in all, she's a great ship with a great crew.

Like any other line, if you go searching for things to nitpick, you'll probably find them. But if you just go and enjoy your cruise, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

We all have different opinions. I see that we can agree with the Compass Rose and the great crew but the ship most definitely did not handle well in the winds she encountered on the West African cruise. The empty seats in the dining locations on many lunchtimes and evenings would confirm this. You are obviously a keen supporter of this ship, I wish we were also but just because someone has a different option to you does not mean one is nitpicking. We set out to have a great holiday and the down side was being, in our opinion, on the wrong ship for the conditions we faced.

Consider taking Bonine starting a couple days before the cruise. (Ask your doctor first, of course.) I did and never got seasick despite a storm that tossed Navigator between Charleston and Bermuda. My wife didn't because she never gets seasick...and was on nothing but crystallized ginger and green apples for 36 hours...

Consider taking Bonine starting a couple days before the cruise. (Ask your doctor first, of course.) I did and never got seasick despite a storm that tossed Navigator between Charleston and Bermuda. My wife didn't because she never gets seasick...and was on nothing but crystallized ginger and green apples for 36 hours...

We did not suffer from sea sickness but many did. It was, for part of the time, a noisy and in uncomfortable ride !! You should not need earplugs to sleep on a so called 5 star ship.

Yes, do take a seasick remedy if you're at all prone to this.

The mid-ship deck 6 E balcony cabins are a great location, so if you can get one of those, it would be terrific, but I'm thinking that theG window cabins across the hall are also well-situated and would be more reasonably-priced.

I personally love Navigator, but it is a bouncy little thing at times, and yes, the vibration aft can be a problem.

Many thanks to those who have responded in a positive way and hopefully we can "forget" the negativity and have a great cruise!!!!

A question for those from the states, should we expect a hot and humid Miama for the start of the cruise mid June???

We will be leaving Australia in mid winter so hard to imagine a hot and humid climate!!!

Many thanks

Many thanks to those who have responded in a positive way and hopefully we can "forget" the negativity and have a great cruise!!!!

A question for those from the states, should we expect a hot and humid Miama for the start of the cruise mid June???

We will be leaving Australia in mid winter so hard to imagine a hot and humid climate!!!

Many thanks

Good to hear that you will try to "forget" the negativity and can continue to look forward to your June cruise.

I had to laugh a bit when you mentioned the weather in Australia vs. that in the states because we did a cruise in Australia during your summer (our winter) and the temperatures in some parts of Australia was horribly hot (about 43C). The "average" temperature in Miami in June is 30C and humid.

JPR: May I suggest that you could be taking Bonine a bit early? We take a medication from the U.K. that is similar to Bonine. When the Captain predicts fairly large swells, we take 1/4-1/2 of a pill (to avoid getting too sleepy - if we were to get queasy, we would take more but it wasn't necessary). It has helped 100% of the time. On our recent Explorer transatlantic crossing, the ship was rocking and rolling quite a bit and we were on deck 12 forward where you really feel the "motion of the ocean". The only time I got queasy was in the middle of the night (very unusual). I took 1/2 of a pill, went back to sleep and felt fine.

Many thanks

Yes, it's likely to be hot and humid. Of course, onboard ship there will be lovely ocean breezes probably, but south Florida is pretty well guaranteed to be hot, as will be most of your ports.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Savblanc:

As a south Florida resident, let me tell you that we have two types of weather in mid-June:

1. Hot and humid

2. Damn hot and humid

Add to the mix the fact that June is part of our rainy season so expect isolated afternoon showers.

Z and TB

[quote name=Savblanc; Many thanks to those who have responded in a positive way and hopefully we can "forget" the negativity and have a great cruise!!!!

A question for those from the states' date=' should we expect a hot and humid Miama for the start of the cruise mid June???

Many thanks[/quote]

Greetings from South Beach. Sayblanc,51741640. We live on Miami Beach, a barrier island across from Miami. Our condo is three blocks from water on three sides, and in a very breezy location. Temperatures in June are sometimes in the high eighties and nineties, with high humidity. However, everywhere you go will be air conditioned, except the streets. Here on the Beach, breezes reduce the effects of the weather very nicely.

For you, it will certainly be different. The days are longer,too. Sunset on June 16th is around 8:15pm. Enjoy your time in Miami, a big city on the mainland and your cruise.

Mary

Edited by warburg

Once again thanks everyone for the responses.

Until 15 months ago we lived in Brisbane, Queensland which was very hot and humid but now live in a hot dry climate with cold winters.

Quite simply if we find it too hot will stay in the a/c!!!

On a different subject, any suggestions for things to do in Miama as we have 3 nights there prior to embarking??

Know it's off subject but thought no harm in asking..........

Many thanks

Once again thanks everyone for the responses.

Until 15 months ago we lived in Brisbane, Queensland which was very hot and humid but now live in a hot dry climate with cold winters.

Quite simply if we find it too hot will stay in the a/c!!!

On a different subject, any suggestions for things to do in Miama as we have 3 nights there prior to embarking??

Know it's off subject but thought no harm in asking..........

Many thanks

Think about renting a car for the day and going down to the everglades. That is, if you like the outdoors and wildlife. You can stop at one or two of the roadside parks and see some alligators. And of course, then there's the beach.

Also make sure to get down to South Beach and admire the old Art Deco hotels. You should be able to sample some Cuban food while you're there as well.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 4 months later...

I think people with negatives are more likely to write in and vent their frustrations. I am hopeful that the ship will indeed prove comfortable and luxurious. When I left a message with a question someone from Regent called me within 12 hours, indicating good service.

Ship recommends malaria pills. The local travel nurse suggests also getting vaccinations against typhoid, yellow fever, and she merging else. We are debating which to get.

Edited by whoopie
typo

I have sailed on navigator many times, and unlike some others, I love the ship. Any cabin forward of the front elevators is going to be relatively free of vibration, though you will get more motion from the sea the more forward you go. We do not mind that, and do not mind the sound of the anchors. You are on a ship after all.

Our favorite area is deck 6 just forward of the front elevators, but we have also stayed on decks 7, 8, and 9 forward of the front elevators. No complaints with any of those. The cabin you have booked is lovely--just no balcony, but otherwise no difference from the more expensive cabins.