Amber cove on ther Regal

nbsjcruiser

We'll be in Amber cove in November on the Regal and I was looking at a few videos. The place sort of reminds me of Grand Turk. It seems there are nice pools, bars and even zip lines in the area - how close are they to where the ship docks? Is it within walking distance? Our time there is from 7AM - 3PM and I'd also like to hit the beach. Is there a nice beach nearby? Any suggestions for things to do when at Amber cove?

You may want to search the Carnival, Holland America, or Dominican Republic Ports boards for any reviews of Amber Cove. As I believe Princess has yet to make her first call there.

Edited by fishywood

We were there in April with Carnival. The weather was cloudy with light rain. The pool is right at the port. Pool is free with waterslide (free too). The zip line is $12 per day. Lots of chairs and swim up bar. Very nice pool. If you must have a beach, you need to get an excursion. There is a very looooong pier. There are tricycle taxis who work for tips. My husband and I took one back because it looked like rain (again) for $5 tip for the two of us. The shops were nice. One had good looking jewelry. Besides the taxi, we only paid $5 for two bottled waters.

Dear OP , I was so excited to see your thread. You will be, on one of PRINCESS' first cruises to amber cove ( I go on regal princess to amber cove in Dec) .

I was hoping someone would report back in late November Before I depart. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts but REALLY LOVE, if there is any chance, you'd post your patters from that week. I know I never think to save my patters, but hears hoping you are better than I would be :)

Either way have a great trip and this link may be helpful to your research.

https://issuu.com/ambercove/docs/amber_cove_magazine

I've been waiting for Princess to add excursions. There is only one showing up. I called them last Friday and they told me they are loading the excursions into the system and they should be available soon.

I've been waiting for Princess to add excursions. There is only one showing up. I called them last Friday and they told me they are loading the excursions into the system and they should be available soon.

Good to know. We are going in March and wondered why there is only one excursion listed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dear OP , I was so excited to see your thread. You will be, on one of PRINCESS' first cruises to amber cove ( I go on regal princess to amber cove in Dec) .

I was hoping someone would report back in late November Before I depart. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts but REALLY LOVE, if there is any chance, you'd post your patters from that week. I know I never think to save my patters, but hears hoping you are better than I would be :)

Either way have a great trip and this link may be helpful to your research.

https://issuu.com/ambercove/docs/amber_cove_magazine

Thanks for the link. I was really curious how close the pools were to the dock and now I know. I'll report back for sure on the stop - I always post a review of my cruises with pictures so keep an eye open for that. I don't usually save my daily patters but I'll keep a couple for the week and scan and post them. Certainly, I'll keep the patter from Amber Cove.

• 1 month later...
We are sailing on Feb 5' date=' 2017 on the Regal. Looking at other threads, since we are not big beach or pool people, I have booked a tour with Iguana Mama Tour with lunch, Cable car, cigar rolling, and a dance presentation is $69 USD

http://www.Iguanamama.com

VERY quick to respond.[/quote']

I clicked on the link you have but I don't see the excursion you described, I am admittedly VERY tech challenged. But wondering if you could give some more info, since I don't see it listed on the link , it sounds nice but would like to found out the length of time, etc....THANKS

We are on the Crown 3/20 cruise. After reading this thread I went to the excursion list for Amber Cove and there are quite a number of tours available which is better than I originally saw a few weeks ago. I changed our tour to one more to our liking for now but will be looking at a possible private tour. Thanks for the heads up on additional choices.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Will be cruising on Dec 11. Was going to book the Lifestyle VIP Resort getaway but have been reading some posts that people have been arriving to their cabin with a cancellation notice waiting for them. Has anyone been there lately? Also, we are going with our 12 month old and it seems like the excursion price is the same as for a child 3-12 yrs. I know for a fact that All Inclusive resorts do not charge for kids under 2, so why am I being charged?

Will be cruising on Dec 11. Was going to book the Lifestyle VIP Resort getaway but have been reading some posts that people have been arriving to their cabin with a cancellation notice waiting for them. Has anyone been there lately? Also, we are going with our 12 month old and it seems like the excursion price is the same as for a child 3-12 yrs. I know for a fact that All Inclusive resorts do not charge for kids under 2, so why am I being charged?

I can't answer your question but you might want to read the reviews of this place

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147290-d286726-r343422414-The_Tropical_at_Lifestyle_Holidays_Vacation_Resort-Puerto_Plata_Puerto_Plata_Prov.html

• 2 weeks later...

We will stopping at Amber Cove on the Regal in Jan 2017, and would love some suggestions on either private or ship excursions that visit Puerta Plata or something like that. My dh and I both love history and cities and interesting food, and are not big beach people. I see a lot of shore excursions on Princess that go to Puerta Plata, and I'm not sure if that's the right thing or if we should go with a private tour company. We're pretty independent travelers, and would like some time to explore on our own, perhaps. Would definitely rather chose our own restaurant than one on the shore excursion. Recommendations?

I'm looking at the shore excursions offered by Princess, and they are pretty varied and fairly reasonable. The chocolate experience sounds pretty interesting. Just not sure what to do, although I do know what I don't want to do, and that's sit on a beach all day.

Edited by kimlovesfl