Mitsugirly-When at Blue Kay, how many ships were in port?

boilermaker330

I reserved Almaplena for our family spring break cruise in April. After reading your reviews of Blue Kay, I am thinking about changing our plans! My concern is that we are traveling during a busy time, so wondering if Blue Kay will be overcrowded? How many ships were in port the day you were there? It looks like the port load in April can range from 1 ship (the Sun) with 2,002 people to 3 ships with 8,708 people. I'm sure the number of ships in port can make a big difference in the experience.

Edited by boilermaker330

I don't think you'll have any real issues at Blue Kay. It's a little north of the first bus stop/taxi stand and most people getting off there head south or get mauled by the lounger hawkers at Tequila Beach and Corona Beach. Consider that approximately 1/2 the passengers head out on ship excursions and other excursions. A fair number never leave the cruise port (that pool will be crowded!). So Blue Kay may get overlooked by most, since less than 10% of all cruise passengers are even on CC or have heard about Blue Kay.

But to assure yourself about the number of ships in port look up the schedule on cruisett.com and check the number of ships in the day you're scheduled to be there. April is actually fairly light on that schedule with only 2 ships in on April 2, 10, 16, 17, and one ship in on April 1,3, and 30. The rest of the month is quiet.

I don't think you'll have any real issues at Blue Kay. It's a little north of the first bus stop/taxi stand and most people getting off there head south or get mauled by the lounger hawkers at Tequila Beach and Corona Beach. Consider that approximately 1/2 the passengers head out on ship excursions and other excursions. A fair number never leave the cruise port (that pool will be crowded!). So Blue Kay may get overlooked by most, since less than 10% of all cruise passengers are even on CC or have heard about Blue Kay.

But to assure yourself about the number of ships in port look up the schedule on cruisett.com and check the number of ships in the day you're scheduled to be there. April is actually fairly light on that schedule with only 2 ships in on April 2, 10, 16, 17, and one ship in on April 1,3, and 30. The rest of the month is quiet.

Thank you crewsweeper! I appreciate the help.

I'm with everyone else. This port hardly ever gets "busy" and most times we have been the only one in port. There's just so many people that go off on excursions with the ship or stay in port for "free"...then most people that head off on their own either head to Maya Chan or some place that's well known on the malecon (Tropicante or Nohoch Kay, Senior Frogs and so on) that I really don't think you'll have a problem.

You also have to remember most people don't know about this place and it has been going through some renovations of ownership over probably the last couple of years off and on. It's also a "camping" place, so anyone just coming to the Malecon is probably going to think it's not a place you can just go and hang out at.

Also remember, like crew said, it's north of everything and everyone always heads south. ;)

One other thing...it's HUGE. Like the beach is VERY long and the grounds go on for awhile and it's nothing compared to the little "spaces" that the other places have along the malecon. There's plenty of room.

Now to answer your question...we had 2 ships in port. Ours (Sun) and a Carnival ship (Sunshine) and never did we feel crowded at all. :D

Just wanted to add, you can not go wrong with Almaplena either. The water is beautiful there and I bet the place has grown a lot since we were there last. :)

Mitsugirly -

I apologize if this info has already been posted but is there a cover charge for Blue Kay? We're sailing in 3 weeks on the Sun. I'm guessing from what I read on your post, you cannot make a reservation? Looks like there's no need to do so?

Mitsugirly -

I apologize if this info has already been posted but is there a cover charge for Blue Kay? We're sailing in 3 weeks on the Sun. I'm guessing from what I read on your post, you cannot make a reservation? Looks like there's no need to do so?

Nope, there is no cover charge if you are just going to use the beach and facilities. You can however, buy the package ($20) that includes use of their kayaks, bikes and snorkeling equipment all day if you want. Otherwise, it's free. :D Just purchase your drinks and food while there and they are happy.

Nope, no need to make a reservation. Just show up and find a spot on the beach. :)

Edited by mitsugirly

When going to Almaplena with your daughter, did you take a carseat? I am worried about taking my three year olds so far without carseats, but I want that blue water (but not willing to risk their safety for it) ? Was the water the same blue at Blue Kay?

Nope. You're lucky to find a taxi with a seat belt and ours didn't.

Yes, the water was the crystal clear blue just like Almaplena.

Thank you for all this information. I'm pretty sure we are going to go to Blue Kay, as well. We knew we were going to have a "do whatever we want" kind of day with no excursions. So, this looks like it will be perfect! Do they have a variety of food? I'm looking for some Mexican flair, be it nachos, tacos, anything on that idea that my kiddos will eat.

Thanks for all the info posted!

Did you stop and convert cash to pesos or do it ahead of time or just inquire as to their conversion rate and do math at the end if want to pay in dollars? Do they take credit cards or would cash just be easier?

Thanks for all the info posted!

Did you stop and convert cash to pesos or do it ahead of time or just inquire as to their conversion rate and do math at the end if want to pay in dollars? Do they take credit cards or would cash just be easier?

No need to convert the cash. They take US $$ with no problems and they'll even tell you the amount in US as well when you settle up your bill. :) Easy peasy!

When I was there a few weeks ago, one side of the menu they gave us was in Spanish with peso prices and the other side was in English with dollar prices.

That's good to know because I had no idea what I was reading. I think I confused them because when we first arrived, the guy at the rental shack only spoke Spanish and there was a lady there with him that was trying really hard to translate and I said "Yo no hablo Espanol" and he laughed and really started talking Spanish after that and I think he misunderstood that I really couldn't speak Spanish (only know a few words and phrases here and there) and thought I was joking. LOL :eek: :p I'll have to remember to ask for an English menu next time. :D

MITSUGIRLY

We're leaving 2/14 on the Vision and thanks to your wonderful reviews we are doing the following things in port;

Roatan - Little French Key

Belize - Cavetubing.bz

Cozumel - Chankanaab

Costa Maya - Blue Kay

We are like you and lover snorkeling but here is our question....

I know that with cavetubing we can leave things on the locked van but in the other places are there lockers? We will have our land and underwater cameras and do not want to just leave our land camera in the bag at the chairs. Any thoughts??

Thanks so much for all of your help!!

MITSUGIRLY

We're leaving 2/14 on the Vision and thanks to your wonderful reviews we are doing the following things in port;

Roatan - Little French Key

Belize - Cavetubing.bz

Cozumel - Chankanaab

Costa Maya - Blue Kay

We are like you and lover snorkeling but here is our question....

I know that with cavetubing we can leave things on the locked van but in the other places are there lockers? We will have our land and underwater cameras and do not want to just leave our land camera in the bag at the chairs. Any thoughts??

Thanks so much for all of your help!!

Excellent choice and I hope you have a wonderful cruise and make lots of great memories at these places.

As far as lockers.

LFK does not have any lockers but if you are concerned, I'm sure you could ask one of the staff there if they would hold onto your camera's and maybe put it behind the counter of the bar where they're at if needed. They are wonderful and very accomodating. When we did our horse ride in the water they had staff watch our bags with no problems.

Cave tubing-yes, your items are locked up in the van and plenty of people there to keep an eye out on things.

Chankanaab has lockers over by the dolphin swim. It's the building right in front of it. They are the kind of lockers you will find at places like the YMCA. They are free to use. Just put your items in turn the key and the key has an arm bracelet (kind of like a hair tie) so that you can wear it around your arm. Just know that these lockers are on the far end of the park where you first come in and the snorkeling area is the opposite way. So, it's quite a walk if you have to go back and forth.

chankanaab%20park%20map-L.jpg

Now I did a search trying to find these lockers and did find something interesting. There was a picture by a cruiser that showed the following lockers located at a restaurant there. So, they may have some actually closer to the snorkeling area because these are not the ones I was referring to.

DSC_1795_DxO.jpg

If it's the open aired restaurant that I'm thinking of, it's actually the first big hut that you come to (after walking out the entrance and to the left, then past some small huts that do hair braiding and sell items, then the small shallow family lagoon swimming area) then you will come up on the snorkeling area. So if this is the case, that's great news! Of course I don't know if they are free like the ones that were at the building.

Looking at this picture, that would be the restaurant.

IMG_5743-L.jpg

Now looking at this map of Chankanaab, it does have rental lockers there where I'm talking about. So, they might rent them now. I don't even see any lockers listed in the areat that I was talking about by the dolphin swim (unless that's just for the use of people doing the swim now).

MAPA-CHANKANAAB-2013-XL.jpg

Ok, moving on...

Blue Kay-yes, they have locker rental there. They are up in the restaurant/bathroom building and are in a little room right after going out of the restaurant and before you enter the restrooms.

PB130155%20copy-L.jpg

I hope that helps. :)