Drat - one Week out and a Broken arm!

gpnfish

Cruise #20, leaving on the Dream Jan 24, and we finally run into bad luck! Wife fell on the ice feeding the birds yesterday and broke the upper arm bone at the ball end, where it goes into the shoulder joint. Thank God it's not displaced, and no surgery needed, but she will be wearing an immobilizer to keep her arm pinned, and she will have to learn how to drink with her left arm. And I was counting on her carrying the luggage!:D

Hopefully Carnival has no issues with folks traveling with a broken bone - does anyone know for sure?

Edited by gpnfish

Cruise #20, leaving on the Dream Jan 24, and we finally run into bad luck! Wife fell on the ice feeding the birds yesterday and broke the upper arm bone at the ball end, where it goes into the shoulder joint. Thank God it's not displaced, and no surgery needed, but she will be wearing an immobilizer to keep her arm pinned, and she will have to learn how to drink with her left arm. And I was counting on her carrying the luggage!:D

Hopefully Carnival has no issues with folks traveling with a broken bone - does anyone know for sure?

That does suck, but learning to drink with another arm is a talent. :p Hope she feels much better by the 24th. Have a wonderful vacation!

Edited by dmarie1623

I hope your wife is feeling better. I broke my collar bone on the first day of our Carnival cruise and they had no problem with me cruising. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Ten years ago I broke my arm the day before a cruise---my wife promised to break the other if we didn't go! Mine was within the shoulder "socket". It turned out to be one of the nicest cruises we've taken. Each night the (Celebrity cruise) waiter and Maitre d' would practically fight for the right to cut my meat, etc! The crew really extended themselves to accommodate my every need, my wife would roll her eyes while muttering, "You could do that yourself". You don't want any type of injury at any time, but going on a cruise is a great way to handle it. Hoping for a fast knitting! Just one item, check to see if there are some simple physical therapy exercises she could do each day----my regimen helped.

kqr8.jpg

7tpx.jpg

Edited by chocolate melting cake

So sorry to hear this. I've been so afraid something like this would happen to me.

We leave for MIA tomorrow & sail on Liberty this Saturday (1/18). I went out today to get my hair done, and it's started snowing heavily so even though I was planning on having tea with a group of friends, I turned around & came home. I was having a rough time cleaning my car windows while holding my umbrella! Decided it was safer to go home. Darn, I missed my lovely group of friends.

I broke my wrist in two places three weeks prior to a cruise in 2011 and did cancel. I was miserable either way, but could not enjoy a cruise without the beach with a cast on. We rescheduled several months later after therapy and lugging around carryons still hurt. It is a personal decision, that was mine.

I broke three ribs about and hour before we boarded for a Valentine cruise a couple years back....Nothing short of rigor-mortis setting in was going to keep me off that ship!

Then to beat that one, I broke my leg three weeks before my wedding!!!

Hope she feels better soon and hope you both have a wonderful cruise!

Be thankful that she didn't hit her head like I did 4 years ago and 2 brain surgeries later. I nearly died. I hope she heals quickly and she gets out of carrying the suit cases. LOL!

I broke my right wrist 4 years ago about 3 weeks before our cruise. I was walking our dogs up our slippery driveway after it had snowed and fell backwards on my wrist. I had to have surgery and the doctor put a plate in my wrist. It did cause the alarm to go off when walking through security. The main problem I had on the cruise was getting my daily cones of yogurt. I had to ask for help. I had my pain medicine when I needed it and slept like a baby. A cruise ship is a great place to be after breaking a bone. I didn't have to worry about cooking, cleaning or any work for 7 nights. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I broke my scaphoid in my hand 2 days before my sister and I went on cruise a few years ago. If you're flying, let the ortho know, you can get quite a bit of swelling on a plane, and you don't want to swell inside a cast. See if they can split the cast or give you a removable and adjustable splint so you can adjust for swelling if need be. For my injury, the usually put the arm in a hard plaster cast, but my ortho let me in a removable brace as long as I swore I would wear it every day, 24 hours a day. My scaphoid healed just fine. But I did have to adjust the straps on the flight because of swelling.

I felt like carnival did a great job. I had people carrying my trays, my waiter would jokingly cut up my food, but I wasn't given priorty boarding or anything. My sister walked in front of me to block people.

So sorry about your DW's break. So glad no surgery needed.

This is a great opportunity for her to go on the cruise and be pampered!:)

I'm sure after a couple of adult beverages of her choice, she will be a pro with the other hand! :D

As a colorado kat posted, there are waterproof cast covers you can purchase for about $30 bucks. You can shower and even swim in them.

Hoping she is pain free soon and have a wonderful cruise!:)

So sorry to hear that. Not to worry though. My sister broke her wrist about 3weeks before our cruise (she fell at her father in laws funeral). She had to wear a sling. She turned the sling into an accessory with lots of bling. It was quite a conversation piece. Our fabulous server cut her meat at dinner. Guess who got a bigger tip????

She just decided not to let that ruin her cruise. She had a great attitude and we all had fun.

Sorry to hear of your wife's fall and subsequent break...but as others have said...the cruise ship is the best place to rest and relax and have everything taken care of for you..She'll feel much better heading home after having had the week of pampering and it will set her on the path to proper healing...have fun and enjoy..just guard her arm at all times :p

I do not think that will be a problem. I once met a lady on a cruise that slipped in the shower and broke her leg a few days before the cruise she was in a wheel chair all week. One year I was cross county skiing and took a bad fall and since cross country skies do not have bindings I thought I broke my ankles. But I did have cruise insurance and I will not go on a cruise with out it.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound