Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old October 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tipping in specialty restaurants

I have never been quite sure on this one; when dining at a specialty restaurant, does one leave a tip ? I assume that the wait staff in these restaurants is not part of the pool sharing in the prepaid gratuities ?

Old October 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always tip in the speciality restaurant the service is outstanding.

RCCL Radiance of the Seas 02/04/2006 W. Caribbean (First Cruise WOW !)
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 01/20/2007 E. Caribbean
RCCL Empress of the Seas 02/11/2008
=X= Summit 1/24/2009
=X= Millennium 1/22/2010
=X= Eclipse 2/19/2011
=X= Summit 8/21/2011
=X= Silhouette 1/17/2012

Old October 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well I have but I also have understood that the extra fee goes totally torwards the service. So the tip is really for above and beyond the above and beyond not the above and beyond.

Coral Princess (Alaska) - 2014
Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2013
Crown Princess (New England) - 2011
Norwegian Pearl (Vancouver to LA) - 2010
Radiance of the Seas (Vancouver to Hawaii) - 2008
Diamond Princess (Vancouver to LA) - 2007
Constellation (Bayonne to Eastern Caribbean) - 2005
Diamond Princess (LA to Vancouver) - 2005
Infinity (Panama Canal) - 2004
Majesty of the Seas (W Caribbean) - 1993

Old October 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

In Tuscan Grill there was a line item for an extra tip for both the waiter and bar server. Service was so good, I left an extra tip for the waiter. I did this both times we ate there on the Equinox.

Old October 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fblack View Post
In Tuscan Grill there was a line item for an extra tip for both the waiter and bar server. Service was so good, I left an extra tip for the waiter. I did this both times we ate there on the Equinox.
There's a line item for an extra tip in the Martini Bar. I always thought the extra fee for specialty restaurants was for the service/tip. Of course, you could always leave extra.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
10,000+ Club

This topic is usually full of misinformation and differing "facts" on this board.

The Celebrity info on the specialty restaurant says, or said, that the service charge includes a gratuity. Some people think the service charge is ALL gratuity. I do not believe this is the case. I believe that only a small portion of the service charge goes to the staff and the rest goes to the cruise line for costs and profit. This applies to the basic service charge for food - any special beverages you order do have a 15% service charge added so that amount is clearly set out.

We do tip extra as we've always thought the service and experience in the specialty restaurants is outstanding. My personal opinion is that this is appropriate and should be the custom for all. But whether to tip extra, or how much, is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer.

Photo site for past cruises : http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises
Recent cruises: Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Caribbean Mar-2013 and Silhouette Transatlantic Dec-2012

Old October 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsimon View Post
This topic is usually full of misinformation and differing "facts" on this board.

The Celebrity info on the specialty restaurant says, or said, that the service charge includes a gratuity. Some people think the service charge is ALL gratuity. I do not believe this is the case. I believe that only a small portion of the service charge goes to the staff and the rest goes to the cruise line for costs and profit. This applies to the basic service charge for food - any special beverages you order do have a 15% service charge added so that amount is clearly set out.

We do tip extra as we've always thought the service and experience in the specialty restaurants is outstanding. My personal opinion is that this is appropriate and should be the custom for all. But whether to tip extra, or how much, is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer.

Wonderfully said! We also tip extra, but it's because the service is always excellent and we want to!

Old October 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fblack View Post
Oh boy...enough already.

Celebrity...call the dining fee a surcharge for the upgrade and ADD the tips for the staff to the check too. Celebrity, YOU DOLL THEM OUT TO YOUR STAFF, I am sick and tired of doing your work for you beyond the prepaid tips

Old October 29th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

We always tip in the Speciality restaurants...the experience is well worth it to us.

Old October 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM
10,000+ Club

I have tipped $5 to $10 extra per person at specialty restaurants. Although a portion of the cover charge goes to the servers as a gratuity, a lot of it goes to the cruise line to cover the cost of higher end food, increased costs of operating the specialty restaurant, and profit.

Suite guests on Solstice class ships receive a couple of complimentary dinners at specialty restaurants; they are told that the recommended gratuity is $5 per person when they enjoy their free meal. As such it can be surmised that probably $5 of the surcharge goes to the servers as gratuity and the rest goes into the cruise line's pockets.

One certainly does not have to tip extra beyond the cover charge, but I have been highly impressed with the service and overall experience in the specialty restaurants and have therefore gladly tipped extra.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old October 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
I

Suite guests on Solstice class ships receive a couple of complimentary dinners at specialty restaurants; they are told that the recommended gratuity is $5 per person when they enjoy their free meal. As such it can be surmised that probably $5 of the surcharge goes to the servers as gratuity and the rest goes into the cruise line's pockets.
Gonzo this is a good clarification. I have never heard this before and I'd like to ask you how you found this information and if you can delineate better, who told who about the suggested amount.

Thanks in advance.

Old October 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinelyCruising View Post
I have never heard this before and I'd like to ask you how you found this information and if you can delineate better, who told who about the suggested amount.
I am not Gonzo, but the info was inside the tab binder along with the "no charge" for the specialty restaurant.

Old October 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
10,000+ Club

Celebrity has published tipping guidelines. I've never seen any published/recommended tipping guidelines for the specialty restaurants, and just assume that the tip is included in the extra $60.00 you pay to dine there.

I can understand if the Suite people eat in there for free that they pay a $5 tip -- They also pay the $5 tip for eating in Blu.

Of course, you can always leave extra anywhere you go on the ship.

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not trying to stop people from tipping extra but EVERYTHING on the ship you get a bill for ALREADY includes the tip. Maybe many of you add additional tips to evreything but I sign the bill they give me, tip included. Call me cheap!

Old October 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default re

They do not need additional tips ,they make enough.

KC

Last edited by KODA C; October 30th, 2009 at 10:03 AM.

Old October 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
I'm not trying to stop people from tipping extra but EVERYTHING on the ship you get a bill for ALREADY includes the tip. Maybe many of you add additional tips to evreything but I sign the bill they give me, tip included. Call me cheap!
I do not disagree with your personal self-assessment.

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texed View Post
I am not Gonzo, but the info was inside the tab binder along with the "no charge" for the specialty restaurant.
You'll do!

Thanks!!!

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always wonder about this. If I want to give a particular person an extra tip, is it better to give them the cash directly. I wonder how much of your extra gratuity they actually get when you add it to the check. Does the employee get the whole thing or does it go into the pool, in which case the person you intended it for gets only a per centage.

Old October 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
50,000+ Club

With cash, you can be sure it goes into the person's pocket that you give it to....there's no way to "track" cash!

Old October 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdiamond View Post
I do not disagree with your personal self-assessment.
Must be nice to have enough money to freely give it away
unnecessarily. I can give you my address if you're in the mood to give away some more.