Bringing drinks on-board the Pacific Dawn

prunes71

Can anyone tell me if security allows you to bring drinks on-board the Pacific Dawn? I want to take a 1.5L bottle of water (so I can re-fill during the cruise) and wasn't sure if security checks them or asks you to hand them in.

Also has anyone taken alcohol on-board? My mother in-law would like to sit in the cabin and have a scotch and is concerned about the $7 price at most bars, or whether she can bring them back to the cabin.:rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me if security allows you to bring drinks on-board the Pacific Dawn? I want to take a 1.5L bottle of water (so I can re-fill during the cruise) and wasn't sure if security checks them or asks you to hand them in.

Also has anyone taken alcohol on-board? My mother in-law would like to sit in the cabin and have a scotch and is concerned about the $7 price at most bars, or whether she can bring them back to the cabin.:rolleyes:

You can bring non alcoholic drinks, just no booze of any kind.

Don

You can bring non alcoholic drinks, just no booze of any kind.

Don

Don, what about the duty free grog? is that not allowed, or do they store it for you so you can have it on your return to Australia. dont drink so does not affect me, but interesting for others to know.

Don, what about the duty free grog? is that not allowed, or do they store it for you so you can have it on your return to Australia. dont drink so does not affect me, but interesting for others to know.

That is stored until you get back to Sydney.

Don

Hi dog boy , glade you rang the other day with out your promting Franco and I would not have investigated the cruise .............we thank you as with all our hearts we were going toItaly by air now I have a cruise to look forward to give my best to Kerry anne see you soon

Cheers elaine

boy Look forward to seeing you in march

That is stored until you get back to Sydney.

Don

Am surprised to read the your duty frees are not accessible until the ship returns to Sydney.

I don't see how buying duty frees at the airport and then being able to open them once you arrive at your OS destination is different to bringing your duty frees on to the ship and then leaving Australian waters/land.

You kind of get ripped off, at least when you fly out OS you get to purchase duty frees leaving and then coming back to Aust.

Regards

Am surprised to read the your duty frees are not accessible until the ship returns to Sydney.

I don't see how buying duty frees at the airport and then being able to open them once you arrive at your OS destination is different to bringing your duty frees on to the ship and then leaving Australian waters/land.

You kind of get ripped off, at least when you fly out OS you get to purchase duty frees leaving and then coming back to Aust.

Regards

It's not a customs thing. It is purely & simply because P&O do not allow you to take alcohol on board.

Karen

Is it because P&O want to sell you the drinks, or is it because they dont want people having a cabin party.

They will tell you it's the latter but most people believe it's the former. You can buy drinks on board & take to your cabin but obviously you wouldn't buy a lot and walk down to your cabin with them.

Karen

You can buy drinks on board & take to your cabin but obviously you wouldn't buy a lot and walk down to your cabin with them.

Karen

My only problem is, by the time I get to the cabin i've finished the drink i bought at the bar to drink in the cabin!!! HAHAHAHA

cheers!!!(hic)

Karen;)

My only problem is, by the time I get to the cabin i've finished the drink i bought at the bar to drink in the cabin!!! HAHAHAHA

cheers!!!(hic)

Karen;)

You should book a cabin closer to the bar:D

Seriously, after the Diane Brimble incident I think P&O would like to monitor passengers' alcohol intake to some degree at least.

What happens if you actually try and bring alcohol on board. do they just take it off you or are you kicked off the cruise?

Hi Archiel, you are not kicked off ship, but your luggage is on display outside pursers desk with a sticker on it.

(all luggage goes through the x-ray machine)

you are given a phone call to go to the desk to I.D your luggage, you must remove the offending drinks, hand over to staff who are watching, then it is put in in storage until the night before cruise ends.

how do I know...some friends last year were caught, very embarrassing for them.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

cheers!!!(hic)

Karen;)

We were on deck 6 and direcly below the Promenade/Bengal bar:) . I bought a bottle of wine from the Bengal bar & put it in the fridge and just had a glass occassonally while I was getting ready for dinner. I only bought the one bottle for a 2 week cruise so obviously I didn't do it often.

Karen

but your luggage is on display outside pursers desk with a sticker on it.

There were quite a few bags outside the Tour Desk on the Dawn on our cruise. Each of these bags had a lovely sticker on them waiting for the owners to claim them.

Must say we were very surprised about the difference in Customs in Sydney & Brisbane. Each time we have sailed from Brisbane at least one of our bags have been marked for quarantine and need to be searched by customs officers before we could leave. Did not see any bags marked when coming into Sydney yesterday. Although we did hear a customs official make the comment to another officer that he wanted a few bags, we assume this was to do random checks...

Sydney customs was heaps easier.... Then again as per usual we had nothing to hide so really made no difference.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Hi Archiel, you are not kicked off ship, but your luggage is on display outside pursers desk with a sticker on it.

(all luggage goes through the x-ray machine)

you are given a phone call to go to the desk to I.D your luggage, you must remove the offending drinks, hand over to staff who are watching, then it is put in in storage until the night before cruise ends.

how do I know...some friends last year were caught, very embarrassing for them.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

An old couple joined the ship in Noumea and I noticed them with their luggage being questioned at the Pursers desk(or whatever they call it now) he had a sharp knife in his baggage as he liked a sharp knife to cut things on board, they took it off him to be returned at end of cruise. He was not happy as the knives on board are not sharp enough ,he said.:) Not sure why they were joining ship at Noumea!

Archived