Good food in NOLA reasonably priced....

Herfnerd

Fiancee and I are what you might call foodies. We will be crusing out of NOLA this coming May with her sisters and their husbands who are more meat and potatoes type of people who balk at spending a little more on their dining experiences.

I want to try Cochon's but they aren't too interested - they said it was still too high brow for them!. Drago's, Mother's and Dooky Chase were some other suggestions that they were a little piqued by.

Any suggestions?

We ate at Cochon's when we were there two years ago and it was good and very reasonably priced, which is the reason we chose this restaurant. The chef won the James Beard award for this restaurant. We also ate at Acme Oyster House which was also very reasonable for lunch. I don't know if it is the same menu or not for dinner.

We sailed on the Voyager a few weeks back and spent a few days in NOLA prior to departure.

We would highly recommend Mandina's which offers both Italian and Creole dishes. The restaurant is located on the Canal St. streetcar line and is a short 15-20 minute ride from downtown. You should be aware that on the way to the restaurant the streetcar does go through a couple of "rough" neighborhoods. That said, the neighborhood that the restaurant is located in seemed perfectly safe. We had no concerns walking around after dark with our children. We went for dessert a few blocks away at Angelo Brocato's. All I can say is WOW. They had THE BEST Italian desserts - amazing.

If you happen to be in the Garden District at lunchtime then you should consider The Grocery located at 6th Street & St. Charles. This place has great hot pressed po' boy sandwiches.

Central Grocery, located in the French Quarter on Decatur Street, has outstanding muffalettas which should not be missed.

The Gumbo Shop, located in the French Quarter on St. Peter Street, was a bit too touristy for us but the food quality was very good.

Hopefully these suggestions help. Enjoy your time in NOLA. It is a great town.

We sailed on the Voyager a few weeks back and spent a few days in NOLA prior to departure.

We would highly recommend Mandina's which offers both Italian and Creole dishes. The restaurant is located on the Canal St. streetcar line and is a short 15-20 minute ride from downtown. You should be aware that on the way to the restaurant the streetcar does go through a couple of "rough" neighborhoods. That said, the neighborhood that the restaurant is located in seemed perfectly safe. We had no concerns walking around after dark with our children. We went for dessert a few blocks away at Angelo Brocato's. All I can say is WOW. They had THE BEST Italian desserts - amazing.

If you happen to be in the Garden District at lunchtime then you should consider The Grocery located at 6th Street & St. Charles. This place has great hot pressed po' boy sandwiches.

Central Grocery, located in the French Quarter on Decatur Street, has outstanding muffalettas which should not be missed.

The Gumbo Shop, located in the French Quarter on St. Peter Street, was a bit too touristy for us but the food quality was very good.

Go to KATIES in midcity. (http://katiesinmidcity.com/)

It too is located in midcity, two blocks off the streetcar line. As said, it is about a 15-20 ride from downtown. The "locals" eat here. Good food....Arguably, among locals, better food than Mandina's. Reasonable prices. Ask for katie (not the owner) to be your server. Also, Brocato's is nearby.

Will certainly look into those suggestions - the one thing my fiancee is dying for is a good muffaletta, lol!

Mother's is good, but overpriced; they prey on tourists! I'd suggest Mr. B's in the French Quarter and Commander's Palace in the Garden District; both owned by the Brennan Family and delicious!

Thanx for the info, Mom - will check out those suggestions and put Mother's on the back burner!

I am a frequent visitor to New Orleans and will share a few French Quarter favorites.

Personally I think the best muffaletta is served at the historic Napoleon House at 500 Chartres. Plus they have many other unique and tasty menu items.

For a fun lunch experience try the New Orleans School of Cooking at 524 St Louis street. They do a demonstration style lunch class that runs from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm. You'll need reservations. Check out their website www.nosoc.com for menus and prices.

The Pelican Club on Exchange street is a good evening choice. It has a dining experience comparable to many of the upscale eateries at more reasonable prices.

Deanies, not to be confused with the Denny's restaurant chain, located at 841 Iberville, serves large portions of tasty food at reasonable prices. A favorite with tourists and locals.

For a special treat try NOLA at 534 St Louis. This is one of Emeril Lagasse's three New Orleans restaurants and while a bit pricey the food and service are always superb.

Fiancee and I are what you might call foodies. We will be crusing out of NOLA this coming May with her sisters and their husbands who are more meat and potatoes type of people who balk at spending a little more on their dining experiences.

I want to try Cochon's but they aren't too interested - they said it was still too high brow for them!. Drago's, Mother's and Dooky Chase were some other suggestions that they were a little piqued by.

Any suggestions?

Hef,

You've gotten some good suggestions. I recommend that you start here:

www.nomenu.com

You'll find all kinds of lists, restaurants listed by neighborhood, types of food etc. You can't go wrong with Tom Fitzmorris' info.

Mother's is a tourist trap (they do have a great breakfast). But don't waste your time and money; there are much better places that will suit anyone's palate and pocket :D.

Hope this helps,

Jorge

Archived