3 day Food & Wine cruise

Hip Synch

Hi Everybody, :)

I'm thinking of doing a Food & Wine cruise from my home Port of Adelaide on the Pacific Eden next March '16.

I'd like to know if anyone has been on one of these cruises and if they were worthwhile. I suppose by that I mean were they informative and of good value. Were there well known Chef's who involved everybody (I did hear of one Chef on another cruise who rushed through it and didn't look anyone in the eye and the cruisers felt left out).

I did read the Brochure of what may be available and of course they made it sound fantastic and in the fine print I saw that some lectures would incur an extra cost.

Any feedback would be great thankyou.

Pauline :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We did one back in October 2011 and found it excellent value for money. There was a wine tastings with one of the owners of Wooing Tree (small additional charge), and degustation dinners in the main dining room. We'd found out from Cruise Critic forums to book into events upon boarding, so we got to do everything that interested us. If I remember correctly, the sign-up sheets were by the main dining room.

The highlight was a cooking demonstration in the galley with 12 other cruisers by Sachie (who prepared the degustation menu and has gone on to have a TV show in NZ). We also did the Salt Grill one night which was superb.

• 2 months later...

I think they are a good mini taste of cruising. Not a full entertainment schedule just samples of what they offer on longer trips.

The actual food and wine experiences are based on external parties delivering in most part. For example I did an NZ one and we had Kapiti Cheeses (a local producer).

You need to book asap! they never have enough space for everyone. There was certainly a variety of offers that ranged from a handful of participants (barista training at a bar) to larger events (cheese tasting in the MDR).

Most events did have a cost - mostly nominal but the alcohol based ones were more expensive. From memory they ranged from about $15 - $50 if there was a charge.

I was a bit disappointed as I did miss out on a number of events due to over subscription.

How I look at these is they are a good break away and if you get to go on some events then it is a bonus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just booked a food and wine one on Aria.........more to check out the ship than the food and wine. My only worry was - is it a booze cruise or more geared towards appreciation of said wine and food?? I would hate for it to be all about yobboes having a boozey weekend.

I have just booked a food and wine one on Aria.........more to check out the ship than the food and wine. My only worry was - is it a booze cruise or more geared towards appreciation of said wine and food?? I would hate for it to be all about yobboes having a boozey weekend.

I was talking to my 65+ yo TA today as we are both on the Adelaide Food & Wine on the Eden. His agency have booked 40 of their regular cruisers on board and he said a lot of TA's are doing the cruise with their families to check out the Eden. So I said to him 'well I won't have any worries about it being a party ship then'. He comes back with 'Of course is going to be a party' :D He reckons we'll put the oldies to bed and party on. Made me wonder with him being 65+ and me nearly 60, what he considers oldies.

• 4 weeks later...
I was talking to my 65+ yo TA today as we are both on the Adelaide Food & Wine on the Eden. His agency have booked 40 of their regular cruisers on board and he said a lot of TA's are doing the cruise with their families to check out the Eden. So I said to him 'well I won't have any worries about it being a party ship then'. He comes back with 'Of course is going to be a party' :D He reckons we'll put the oldies to bed and party on. Made me wonder with him being 65+ and me nearly 60, what he considers oldies.

Sounds fine to me - the oldies are the ones that go to bed.:p

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...