Skagway - Rent a car or Train excursion??

big bro

Everyone keeps mentioning going to Emerald Lake but when I look at the train excursion, it refers to the White Pass. Is this the same? Would we see the same going by train or renting a car/ jeep?

There are 6 in our party. Would 6 fit in a jeep or will we have to rent a mini van?

Anyone know what the cost for a van would be?

We rented a minivan from Avis that held 6 very comfortably.

As I recall, it was around $150 when we did it a few years ago.

I just plugged in a random date in June and it showed $189 for a minivan on that day.

But you can try the Avis website yourself to see what they will charge for a minivan at their Skagway location for the date you actually want.

Prices can fluctuate with supply and demand.

If your party of 6 wants both the White Pass train excursion and the drive up into the Yukon to Emerald Lake, then the rental car + train combination would be ideal for you.

Any who don't want the train ride can ride up to Carcross in the rental car while the others ride the train, and then everybody gets the ride up to Emerald Lake.

Edited by varoo

If you want to book a van I would book it now. Avis is the only new car rental agency in Skagway. There is another car rental place that rents reliable older vehicles. I just booked a car the other day for our day in Skagway on June 4 through Avis. You don't need to pay anything now, you pay when you pick up the vehicle. So otherwords, if you are currently undecided, I would at least book something with the option of cancelling. The smaller cars were already sold out for our day of June 4!

If you want to book a van I would book it now. Avis is the only new car rental agency in Skagway. There is another car rental place that rents reliable older vehicles. I just booked a car the other day for our day in Skagway on June 4 through Avis. You don't need to pay anything now, you pay when you pick up the vehicle. So otherwords, if you are currently undecided, I would at least book something with the option of cancelling. The smaller cars were already sold out for our day of June 4!

I always recommend this as well. IF even a remote chance of wanting a rental car, then make a reservation. BUT do cancel, if you change your mind.

Avis cars, always sell out. You will see people off to the side waiting for no shows, and then more people showing up, expecting to get a car walk up. It is a big mistake, thinking this, but, it never changes, there are always those walk up people. In the past Avis, did release "no shows" a couple hours after the reserved pick up time. SO if anyone is going to be late, call them directly and let them know you are still coming to get the car.

The White Pass is 25 miles from Skagway, Emerald Lake is 75 miles. The views from the highway and train are different - both worth seeing, but to do that takes a train/bus excursion. Six people don't fit in a jeep, and even 4 are more comfortable in a normal vehicle. Vans are about $150.

We rented a minivan from Avis that held 6 very comfortably.

As I recall, it was around $150 when we did it a few years ago.

I just plugged in a random date in June and it showed $189 for a minivan on that day.

But you can try the Avis website yourself to see what they will charge for a minivan at their Skagway location for the date you actually want.

Prices can fluctuate with supply and demand.

If your party of 6 wants both the White Pass train excursion and the drive up into the Yukon to Emerald Lake, then the rental car + train combination would be ideal for you.

Any who don't want the train ride can ride up to Carcross in the rental car while the others ride the train, and then everybody gets the ride up to Emerald Lake.

Thank you for your responses and informative help.:).

Good idea!

Can we no longer quote 3 posts? Tried and only 2 got quoted in one post?:eek:

We did the train up and the bus back. We loved the trip. It allowed us to enjoy the scenery and sites, especially on the train. They do a pretty good job at telling you about the area and you can take some great pictures on the platforms between railcars.

The bus trip stops a few times for pictures and our stopped for eating and a gold pan excursion also. It really just shows you another view of the train trip from the other side of the passes.

These eliminate the hassle of the driver concentrating on the road and traffic instead of seeing the sites and enjoying the family time.

Someone on here recommended the new Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery in Carcross for soup and sandwiches.

They have a website with some photos at

http://www.chilkootbakery.com/

I have not yet tried it myself but made a note of it for the next time I get up that way as yet another option for avoiding the hordes of bus passengers at the Caribou Crossing buffet.

We ate here in May 2013, and it was great. Delicious soups and sandwiches, and yummy pie and other desserts, even some things appropriate for the two of us in our group who are vegetarian (which was a very pleasant surprise). Nice people run the place and work there. Very reasonably priced.

We also rented a minivan (some sort of Toyota) from Avis - we had 5 adults and it worked well (tho someone had to sit in the very back seat). As others have said, reserve ahead if you think you might want one, otherwise you might be out of luck.

My questions: Do the Murray Guide come in the form of a CD, does Avis have CD player in car? I am very techno impaired. Any chance of buying this kind of audio guide in Skagway. We will be there in 5 weeks.

Probably not , many of these type of guides are self published by the author .

As to Avis can't answer that question.

My questions: Do the Murray Guide come in the form of a CD, does Avis have CD player in car? I am very techno impaired. Any chance of buying this kind of audio guide in Skagway. We will be there in 5 weeks.

Here's what it says on Murray's Website:

If you have an iPod, there is now an MP3 audio guide to Skagway and the highway (with excellent musical accompaniment, and geocaching information), for $8.99

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've also read reviews from the Alaska Green Jeep tours that they provide a CD audio tour with their rentals, so there must be somebody providing this service.

Howdy.

We will be in Skagway the second week in June. We want to do the train ride in the afternoon. What can we do in the morning while waiting for the train? We arrive early in the morning during our cruise.

Thanks for all the great tips.

Howdy.

We will be in Skagway the second week in June. We want to do the train ride in the afternoon. What can we do in the morning while waiting for the train? We arrive early in the morning during our cruise.

Thanks for all the great tips.

There is a short 2 hr bus tour that takes you up the highway . Keep in mind that this tour requires a passport because you cross into an area between the US and Canada border.

There is a short 2 hr bus tour that takes you up the highway . Keep in mind that this tour requires a passport because you cross into an area between the US and Canada border.

Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems we will have plenty to keep us busy once we arrive.

I don't even think there is a place to rent a car, the town is really small. I would recommend checking out town, that could take a couple of hours. they have a nice historical museum and several places to take a short hike. There is a place in town where you can get maps for hikes, and general information. Not sure what you like to do, but if let me know I could recommend some things.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I don't even think there is a place to rent a car, the town is really small. I would recommend checking out town, that could take a couple of hours. they have a nice historical museum and several places to take a short hike. There is a place in town where you can get maps for hikes, and general information. Not sure what you like to do, but if let me know I could recommend some things.

busydad12...Which town are you talking about? :confused:

Sorry, the OP was asking about Skagway.

OK, sorry - I thought you might have meant Carcross. As others have said, there are three places (at least) to get rental cars in Skagway.

hello marysb! This has nothing to do with current post - but I saw in prior post that you were on Celebrity Reflection Cabin 7286. I am booked in that cabin and was wondering if you liked that cabin. Also, is bed by balcony or bathroom? Thanking you in advance for any info! sdf350

We loved this hump cabin with the oversized balcony. Bed is by the window

( we like that as you have more dressing room by closet and you can have great views Fromm the bed)

My review with photos is here:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1793078