First Time Scooter Purchase

sabookkeeper

Due to back problems, I am unable to stand for any length of time or walk long distances (walking the length of some of the piers is difficult for me). I do not need anything around the house or to work, however, I need one for when we cruise and travel.

We have been looking at the foldable scooters by Tzora and Rascal as options for purchase. Has anyone used either of these brands? What are the pros and cons for each?

We are finding it difficult to find a distributor for the Rascal scooter. We live in Canada, however, since we are bordering Detroit we will probably purchase it in the US.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene

We are finding it difficult to find a distributor for the Rascal scooter. We live in Canada, however, since we are bordering Detroit we will probably purchase it in the US.

Darlene

Rascal is no longer in business which is the reason you're unable to find a distributer.

My mobility issues pretty much mirror yours. I have both a Travelscoot which I purchased new in 2009 and the Tzora Classic which I purchased used from a friend 2 years ago. Either one of these portable scooters would work well for you. I prefer to use the Travelscoot when traveling as it is so lightweight. I also keep this in the back of my Prius wagon for use when I shop….it is so lightweight at 35 pounds to lift in and out of the vehicle. I used the Tzora at work as I work in a very large office building in DC. Riding the Travelscoot is like riding a tricycle on how it sits. The Tzora has a flat bottom that you can sit your feet flat and it sits more like a traditional scooter because it has a chai), the Tzora having a more comfortable “ride”. Though I have used both on airline travel and cruises I prefer the lightweight ease of the Travelscoot over the Tzora for when I travel.

Edited by nieciez

Due to back problems, I am unable to stand for any length of time or walk long distances (walking the length of some of the piers is difficult for me). I do not need anything around the house or to work, however, I need one for when we cruise and travel.

We have been looking at the foldable scooters by Tzora and Rascal as options for purchase. Has anyone used either of these brands? What are the pros and cons for each?

Darlene

As far as I know there is o nly one "Travelscoot" dealer in Canada, that is in Victoria, BC.

If you Google "Travelscoot dealer in Canada" you'll get their sight.

That is where I just bought mine, for $2457.00 CAD, with a few extras.

I picked mine up so didn't pay shipping:D

Cato :)

I have looked at the travelscoot and although it looks much more portable, I wouldn't be able to just have my legs on the pegs. So it looks like I am going with the Tzora. I have found a dealership in Detroit so I will be going this weekend to take a look - Canadian distributors prices are much higher than what I am finding in the US.

Thanks for all your feedback.

I have looked at the travelscoot and although it looks much more portable, I wouldn't be able to just have my legs on the pegs. So it looks like I am going with the Tzora. I have found a dealership in Detroit so I will be going this weekend to take a look - Canadian distributors prices are much higher than what I am finding in the US.

I think you will be happy with the Tzora...there are three different models, two with two wheels side-by-side on the front and one with one front wheel. Not sure what is the difference between the two models with two front wheels, though from pictures it looks like the placement of the motor, but I am not sure. Please update us on how it works out for you!

My husband has a Tzora Easy Travel Deluxe scooter and loves it. It is very easy to travel with and now is available with a lithium battery that is very light to carry and charges very quickly. It is supposed to go longer between charges too, though riding on carpet on a ship will necessitate recharging any type of battery on at least a daily basis. This model also comes under the Lexus Light name. Same scooter, different name.

This is his second one, although the first one still works. It had just been used on too many cobblestones and some of the knobs are a bit loosened - riding on cobblestones in Spain, or anywhere for that matter, is probably not the best idea for any scooter. He used the first one for six years on many cruises, other vacations and at the mall. He loves the scooter and always has a lot of people asking about it.

He did try the Travel Scoot and liked it but he could it use it because of the foot placement. The Tzora just works better for him and folds easily for travel. The lithium battery has made it even more travel friendly.

Kate

My husband has a Tzora Easy Travel Deluxe scooter and loves it. It is very easy to travel with and now is available with a lithium battery that is very light to carry and charges very quickly. It is supposed to go longer between charges too, though riding on carpet on a ship will necessitate recharging any type of battery on at least a daily basis. This model also comes under the Lexus Light name. Same scooter, different name.

This is his second one, although the first one still works. It had just been used on too many cobblestones and some of the knobs are a bit loosened - riding on cobblestones in Spain, or anywhere for that matter, is probably not the best idea for any scooter. He used the first one for six years on many cruises, other vacations and at the mall. He loves the scooter and always has a lot of people asking about it.

He did try the Travel Scoot and liked it but he could it use it because of the foot placement. The Tzora just works better for him and folds easily for travel. The lithium battery has made it even more travel friendly.

Kate

Thanks for the info about charging more often if used on the ship. At this point, I probably won't need to use it on the ship, however, this time last year I didn't need one at all so I'm not sure what I'll be like by February. I'll be very happy if I can get six years with it for the same things your husband used it for. I will let everyone know which one I ended up buying as we are going this weekend.

I just purchased a luggie. It is a scooter that folds up and can be pulled like a piece of luggage. It weighs less than 50 lbs and can be easily lifted into the trunk of the car and it no larger than a 22in piece of luggage. I love it!!! I will be using it next week on the Grand to Hawaii!!! It has lots of power and it does have reverse. This is my second scooter and I have rented many. I love this thing it can be folded up and put with baby strollers when you get on a plane. It is about time!!!

I second the Luggie. I own a go go elite but it became to hard for me to lift parts of it even when taken apart. I too can’t walk distances or stand very long. I purchased the Luggie last year for my cruise and I couldn’t be happier with it. It so easy to fold and unfold. As said it fold up to about the size of a large suit case. Or you can fold flat to make it even easier to lift into a car or suv. It has a floor and reverse. I did buy an extra battier but haven’t need it yet but an glad I have it just incase.

Kevin

http://www.gomobilityscooters.com/luggiescooter-p/luggie.htm

Darlene

Have you looked at the Travelscoot? http://www.travelscootcanada.com/

We first saw it on a Princess cruise last year, came home (Vancouver Island) and bought one. We will be sailing & flying with it for the first time next month. it fits in the back seat of our truck. I can lift it with one hand. My husband is a big man and it carries him around. All the info you need is on the website and there are blogs about it all over the web. Good luck.

Have you looked at the Travelscoot? http://www.travelscootcanada.com/

We first saw it on a Princess cruise last year, came home (Vancouver Island) and bought one. We will be sailing & flying with it for the first time next month. it fits in the back seat of our truck. I can lift it with one hand. My husband is a big man and it carries him around. All the info you need is on the website and there are blogs about it all over the web. Good luck.

Also search youtube for TravelScoot, for a bunch of videos.

TravelScoot is coming out with an improved model. Call and talk to these nice people.

The dealer in Victoria has 2 different size plates that snap onto the pegs, one is 9" X 4.25", the other I not certain of, but I think it's 4.5" X 4.25" :D

I bought the larger size and it's a good rest for your feet and legs. ;)

Edited by Donna's Dad

The dealer in Victoria has 2 different size plates that snap onto the pegs' date=' one is 9" X 4.25", the other I not certain of, but I think it's 4.5" X 4.25" :D

I bought the larger size and it's a good rest for your feet and legs. ;)

Cato :)[/color']

I hadn't heard about those.....anyone have a picture of them?

My Dad also has the Tzora Easy Travel Deluxe (with the single front wheel) because reversing the Travelscoot was difficult for him. The 2 pieces are easy to handle, and it can also be folded. I wish he could have used the Travelscoot because it is even lighter, but the Tzora has been just fine.

I would also like to see a picture of the foot plates.

I have some good photos of the foot rests, but I'm unable to transfer them to this web-site. :confused:

If anyone can transfer them, I'll gladly e-mail them. The ones I have are the long ones, about 9" long, the mounting hole is off center. so they can be installed with the long end to the front or rear, depending on if you have short or long leg. :D

Anyone interested publish your e-mail address here. ;)

Hi fellow travelscooters, this is a link to pictures of the foot plates:

Marlee

This is the shorter version about 4 1/2" long.:confused:

The longer version is available from the Victoria BC. Canada dealer ;)

After much much research and trying, and a good nights sleep, I was finally able to transfer the photos of the "TravelScoot" 9" foot rest ;) :D

th_DSCF0614.jpgth_DSCF0608.jpg :rolleyes:

By the way, they can be reversed.

Edited by Donna's Dad

I just called and bought the new foot pedals. The direct drive motor with reverse cannot be retrofit on the older models. sigh.

Apparently the reverse drive model does not go as fast, possibly only half speed. :mad: :eek:

Edited by Donna's Dad

[/color]

Apparently the reverse drive model does not go as fast' date=' possibly only half speed. :mad: :eek:[/quote']

That might not be a bad thing as the original model of the Travelscoot goes pretty fast IMHO. The important thing is how FAR it goes.....