Patagonia Corridor: CNN Top Site to Visit!!

TLCOhio

From CNN's travel section this past week, they have this headline: "Where to go in 2016: Top up-and-coming destinations" with the Patagonia Corridor being one of those key areas cited and suggested for doing a visit/vacation.

Here are some of their Patagonia Corridor story highlights: "About 1.5 times the size of the UK, Patagonia is all things to all people, whether they want to stick to popular routes or immerse in wilderness. The Chilean side is a maze of inlets, islets and winding waterways, while Argentinian Patagonia dominates vast empty lands and estancias. Glacier Perrito Moreno is the dramatic 30 kilometer-long glacial centerpiece. New boats and road routes are being introduced to the corridor. Torres del Paine in Chile and Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina are Patagonia highlights, offering carved fjords and glistening glaciers. When to go: November to March."

While we have not yet visited the Patagonia Corridor, it is on our future "to-do" listing. Have been to Argentina's fun capital, plus Mendoza wine country. Need to head back south!!

Any others have Patagonia Corridor experiences, tips, ideas to share?

Full CNN Travel 2016 Ideas story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/22/travel/emerging-destinations-2016/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 129,825 views for this posting.

• 4 months later...

Hi, Terry! :D I missed seeing this thread when you posted it, but I concur with CNN's travel section! We did an around the Horn cruise on the Star Princess from Buenos Aires beginning Feb. 29th. However, I went on a 15-day pre-cruise land tour with Overseas Adventure Travel, and all but 3 nights were spent in Patagonia. It was great to visit Argentina and Chile by both land and sea. :)

You need more than a regular cruise for much of Patagonia.

We were there in March and it was wonderful though we could have used more time (and been much younger and fitter in order to do some hiking.)

We loved the Lake District and drove from Puerto Montt in Chile to Bariloche in Argentina and back. We took the ferry boat up the inner passage on the west coast of Chile from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt. We took day trips to Torres del Paine and the Los Glaciares (Puerto Moreno glacier.) We spent two nights in Punta Arenas and five altogether in Ushuaia. We saw penguins and the Terre del Fuego Park and took scenic drives in Ushuaia

• 2 weeks later...
You need more than a regular cruise for much of Patagonia.

We were there in March and it was wonderful though we could have used more time (and been much younger and fitter in order to do some hiking.)

We loved the Lake District and drove from Puerto Montt in Chile to Bariloche in Argentina and back. We took the ferry boat up the inner passage on the west coast of Chile from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt. We took day trips to Torres del Paine and the Los Glaciares (Puerto Moreno glacier.) We spent two nights in Punta Arenas and five altogether in Ushuaia. We saw penguins and the Terre del Fuego Park and took scenic drives in Ushuaia

Please tell me more! How did you drive from Puerto Montt? Rental Car? Which pass? Any trouble at the border? The famous lake-drive-lake-drive route is only for foot passengers, right? Did you go up to San Martin de los Andes? How about further south from Bariloche on the Argentine side?. Do you suggest staying in Bariloche, or one of the smaller towns nearby? How about Puerto Varas? Pucon?

The ferry boat from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt? How was that? Worth the time? vs. a five day cruise from either Puerto Montt, or Puerto Natales round trip?

Thanks!!

I have put some comments in red below.

Please tell me more! How did you drive from Puerto Montt? Rental Car? Which pass?

We had arranged for a rental car in Puerto Montt through a company called Lys. They are good to deal with. They job out the rentals to local companies. We only had three days because the ferry to Puerto Montt was three days late. This was a major disappointment and meant we did a lot of driving and not enough exploring. We got to Bariloche (too busy for me but the hotel we would have been in outside of town ( the Peninsula) looked fabulous. Once we picked up the car in Puerto Montt we drove to Entre Lagos which is in Chile and has a great view of the Osorno Volcano. We found a very inexpensive place to stay and had a great meal at a hostel overlooking a lake. Then we crossed the border early the next morning. You have to pay for and prearrange the paperwork. It took time crossing but we had no problem. We drove to Bariloche, explored around and then drove back to Villa la Angostura which is a lovely smaller resort on a lake. We had time to explore the town and my husband took a dip in the water in his seventh continent. Because of the late ferry we did not have time for the seven lakes drive to St. martin. This was disappointing, but what we did see was beautiful. Our last day we drove to Puerto Varas and explored. Unfortunately the mist and clouds did not allow a view of the volcano. We could have spent more time in this area. We drove back to Puerto Montt and flew to Santiago. The mountain pass in this area (Cardenal Samore Pass) is not that high and is very easy driving. Any trouble at the border? The famous lake-drive-lake-drive route is only for foot passengers, right? Did you go up to San Martin de los Andes? How about further south from Bariloche on the Argentine side?. Do you suggest staying in Bariloche, or one of the smaller towns nearby? How about Puerto Varas? Pucon?

The ferry boat from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt? How was that? Worth the time? Here is my review of the Navimag Ferry which I finally posted about a week ago: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g294298-d1777030-Reviews-Navimag-Puerto_Montt_Los_Lagos_Region.html

Edited by maryann ns