Remembrance Day on Cunard

olsu

We will be on the QE for Remembrance Day this year and I wondered if anyone knows if Remembrance is marked on the ship?

Another thought in the light of allocated embarkation times, is the time given the time to arrive at the port or can we arrive a little earlier to hand over luggage and car?

We were on board last year on Remembrance Day and we (Americans) all bought poppies to wear. When is it this year?

Rememberance Day (Commonwealth) is the same as our Veterans Day (USA) ALWAYS November 11 which is a Wednesday this year.

As an aside this is also the only Federal holiday that hasn't been moved to a Monday and is honored on the actual day (except for Christmas and New Years Day).

Remembrance Sunday is November 8th this year. I will be on board QV then and on the 11th so I will report back.

QE2 left Southampton for the last time on November 11th 2008 and there was a poppy drop over the ship at 11am.

Here in Canada it is also November 11th and also commemorated on that day. I will be aboard the QM2 on the 11th.

Growing up it was drilled into us, the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month.

On a QM2 transatlantic crossing a couple of years ago many of the British passengers wore a red poppy and if I remember correctly the captain conducted a memorial service on Remembrance Sunday.

This was my experience too. The red poppies were offered on board at the Purser's Office for a small donation, but they went quickly. Many Americans also sported a poppy on their lapels.

As I remember, poppies were available on a self-serve basis at the purser's desk: passengers could take a poppy from the basket, and put some money into a box indicating a particular charity would benefit. There was indeed a memorial service on Remembrance Sunday, conducted by the ship's master. It was an ecumenical hymn sandwich-type service loosely based on Morning Prayer from the Book of Common Prayer, with familiar music such as "Abide with Me", "Jerusalem", and "Eternal Father, Strong to Save." The service was hosted largely by entertainment staff, who handed out service leaflets and facilitated seating. There's a review of a QM2 service on the Ship-of-Fools website, through I think a regular Sunday service was reviewed. The review might give you an idea of how it works.

I'm not surprised the Americans on the ships would be looking for and wearing poppies in November. The distribution of poppies has a long tradition in the United States, so is familiar to American travelers. The American Legion Auxiliary has distributed paper poppies since the 1920s as a fundraiser for disabled vets prior to both Memorial Day (now the last Monday in May and original a day decorate Civil War soldiers' graves) and Veterans Day (November 11). Often members of the Auxiliary and members of the American Legion itself will collect donations on street corners and distribute the poppies.

Red paper poppies have always been common on November 11 in the US - originally called Armistice Day - now the more generic Veterans Day. Interesting how holidays evolve as time passes - May 30 was originally Decoration Day - when the graves of Civil War dead were decorated - then changed to Memorial Day, with less emphasis on graves. Then changed to the last Monday in May to provide a three day weekend - as much marked by barbecues and sales as anything else.

As an aside this is also the only Federal holiday that hasn't been moved to a Monday and is honored on the actual day (except for Christmas and New Years Day).

Independence Day isn't a Monday holiday (it will be a Monday in 2016 but only coincidentally).

Isn't Thanksgiving a Federal holiday?

Here in Canada it is also November 11th and also commemorated on that day. I will be aboard the QM2 on the 11th.

Growing up it was drilled into us, the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Yes, here too.

I've posted that video before, so I hope you don't mind the repetition.

(Kudos to the Canadians who made that video.) Pax Salacia

Cunard has been very supportive of the various military service organizations. We submitted my husband's DD214 Form and received an additional on board credit of $100. You do have submit 60 days prior to departure. We missed the deadline on our last crossing. I made sure to get it in this time. It's already been posted. Just a reminder for those who have military service records.

On our previous crossing we were seated at a table with a gentlemen who served in the Royal Navy. Between the Royal Navy and the USMC I found myself listening to cross cultural service talk. It was a lot of fun.

Cunard now seems to retain my military status without subsequent reminders. This hasn't always been the case. It might be because I've been booking the next voyage while aboard, so they can see my status at that time.

Sister line Princess automatically retains it permanently and I can see it when I do a real or trial booking online.

Edited by Underwatr

On our previous crossing we were seated at a table with a gentlemen who served in the Royal Navy. Between the Royal Navy and the USMC I found myself listening to cross cultural service talk. It was a lot of fun.

Once at lunch we sat with two other couples and all three of the men had been in submarines.

We were with another cruise company last year at this time and they marked the day,not with poppies or services in remembrance,but a German lunch and German music...

:eek: That's a bit insensitive, which Cruise Company?

We were with another cruise company last year at this time and they marked the day,not with poppies or services in remembrance,but a German lunch and German music...

Of course, if it were a German line, such as Aida or Hapag-Lloyd, it might be expected that the focus on commemorating November 11, 1918 would be on the 2,000,000 or so German combat losses - a larger number, and a greater percentage of population than that suffered by the UK. Sure, they were the aggressor, but it is still a memorable tragedy on that side of the Rhine.