Can someone please clarify the term "in the grills"?

failteromhat

from the Cunard website I see that there are several room types:

Britannia (Regular, I suppose)

Britannia Club- not sure, do you have to be a member or dies it just mean Superior room to regular?

Suites: Princess and Queen suites- so they offer some sort of access to a space where the people from "regular " rooms are not allowed to go?

#confused

This page on the Cunard website explains which areas are for Grills passengers. They aren't very large, it's not as if whole areas of the ship are out of bounds.

Which areas are reserved for Princess Grill and Queens Grill guests ?

Britannia Club cabins have their own dining room only.

Think of an aeroplane where they have First Class (Queens Grill), Business Class (Princess Grill), Premium Economy (Britannia Club), Economy (Britannia).

The Grills passengers have a separate lounge and use of a Concierge. That's it.

And a separate dining area, Princess Grill and Queen's Grill each have dedicated dining areas.

And a separate dining area, Princess Grill and Queen's Grill each have dedicated dining areas.

As does Britannia Club, a separate restaurant with an anytime dining style within the opening hours. This is the main differentiation on Britannia Club - Club Dining.

Regards John

To make it clear, it refers to where you dine - and as would be expected, the most expensive categories, Princess Grill and Queens Grill (the grills) encompass the most expensive and largest cabins, and also get a few extra perks like a concierge and preference in boarding and disembarkation and the highest categories get a butler.

In the dining rooms, although all work from the same daily menu, there are differences in what is available beyond the basics and whether they have two set seatings or a single seating. Additionally, I believe the grills have a greater proportion of tables for two. Finally, as would be expected, the most senior and skilled staff work in the higher categories.

• Britannia - 2 seatings. There are a few items that are always available if you ask your waiter but are unpublished on the menu. The standard cabins eat here.
  • Britannia Club - Single seating in an area adjacent to the Britannia Dining Room. The always available items are listed in a supplementary menu. Same cabin design as Britannia, but on higher decks.
  • Princess Grill - Single seating in the small Princess Grill restaurant. In addition to the standard menu, there is an ala carte menu with more extensive offerings. Special off-menu requests are often available by advance request. Cabins are basically mini-suites.
  • Queen's Grill - Single seating in the small Queen's Grill restaurant. Off-menu ordering is encouraged. Cabins are suites and duplexes.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Cards are not based on accommodation but on the World Club level of the guest. There is no wat to tell a Grill guest unless you see them eating or in the Grills lounge and there is certainly no feeling of being in "steerage".

AFAIK, If your seapass has a Diamond icon, you are part of the Grills Class.

Cards are not based on accommodation but on the World Club level of the guest. There is no wat to tell a Grill guest unless you see them eating or in the Grills lounge and there is certainly no feeling of being in "steerage".

Yes, that has also been my experience.

Salacia

I think the distinction for us in the U.S. is accurately described by airplane classes of service. You get more space the more you pay, you get a couple of "business class" lounges and you're segregated in dining rooms. QG also comes with a butler. It's a little hit and miss. Some are excellent, others less so. You eat when you want in both the Grills and Britannia Club instead of having one of two dining times in Britannia. Mind you, the most elegant space in my opinion is Britannia by far. In spite of what you might infer from CC's boards, people are not much different no matter where you dine. Personally, I think the QG restaurant is the least interesting from an interior design point of view. The option to choose "off menu," in spite of the advertising, is pretty limited to standard Western (or Chicken Tikka Masala) dishes, in our experience. Non-European dishes appear to be a major challenge, in spite of the range of nationalities represented in the kitchen. I think that's a lost opportunity for those of us who live in a more cosmopolitan environment.

So, choose to pay on the issues of space and flexibilty. That would make sense. Whether some few see it as a matter of social class is of no importance and it won't affect you whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To m

• Queen's Grill - Single seating in the small Queen's Grill restaurant. Off-menu ordering is encouraged. Cabins are suites and duplexes.

When I have been in QG, neither my table mates or myself have been "encouraged" to go off menu. Off menu requests have been granted but I have never seen the staff telling people to order off menu.

When I have been in QG, neither my table mates or myself have been "encouraged" to go off menu. Off menu requests have been granted but I have never seen the staff telling people to order off menu.

Strange. In our 16 trips in QG, we've ALWAYS been asked what if any special requests we have by both the Maitre d' and Head Waiter.

We do have some favourites, like Peking Duck, or a curry night, or an Italian night, depending on the Maitre d' or Head Waiter and their specialities.

Strange. In our 16 trips in QG, we've ALWAYS been asked what if any special requests we have by both the Maitre d' and Head Waiter.

We do have some favourites, like Peking Duck, or a curry night, or an Italian night, depending on the Maitre d' or Head Waiter and their specialities.

That's not quite the same is being "encouraged". In Britannia when I have not wanted a starter or dessert I have been asked if I want something that is not on the menu instead, on that basis you could say I was being encouraged to go off menu.