Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We decided not to take Raylene to the cave of the winds, so my husband and I took turns dog sitting on a shady bench. I was worried about the numerous, very wet and possibly slippery steps!

My biggest problem in Williamsburg turned out to be distractions from the smells and presence of all the other town dogs as well as carriage horses on the historic streets. We're still learning about not pulling while working!

Gettysburg's visitor center gets a A+ from me, as I might have mentioned. Very helpful staffers and great facilities for people with special needs. A woman working there said they get a group of puppy raisers and their dogs every year, visiting for training. All of the staff were so nice!

We don't live too far from Gettysburg and go there frequently. We have never had any problems there either.

Ollie is curious about horses but doesn't fool with them. We took a carriage ride in Philadelphia once and were warmly encouraged by the driver to do so. It is one of my favorite my favorite family photos and was our Christmas card that year.

I find people with dogs out in public extremely annoying mostly because the have no clue about service dog etiquette.

She is doing very well, thanks! :D She has her first post-treatment check-up with the oncologist soon, then they will happen about once a month.

In one month, I will be meeting the puppy who will be my next service dog in a couple years! There are two girls to choose from (I don't want a boy). Exciting!!

Delighted to hear your girl is doing well :) that's interesting that you will meet the puppy .... But how exciting ..... I think that's one of the things those with service dogs wish they could know, what their "life changer" was like as a pup! We will hope to know what our pup will be like as a "life changer"! :)

Here's the latest shot of our trio! Can you believe how much our Aruba is growing! (She's in the middle) We took her to the supermarket again this weekend and she met a family with two small children, one in a buggy of about maybe 2, and his sister who was I guess about 6. They were so good with her and Aruba was so good with them. The little girl knelt down to "talk" to Aruba and Aruba just sat and then couldn't resist rolling over for a tummy run which the little girl duly obliged! I was happy for this meeting as it gave Aruba a great chance to interact with little people and their funny ways - the little boy just grabbed her ears, but quite gently and she didn't blink. This is very good as it gives me confidence that she would be good around children if she was to go into a family situation. But I was keeping a close eye on her the whole time. The mum was happy too and we explained to the children the path that Aruba would be taking, and I think although the little boy was too young to understand, the girl certainly did. I gave her a Guide Dog Puppy card with a photo of a pup on it, so I imagine granny will be getting told all about it! I should just say that the mum told the children as they were passing us and before they met Aruba, not to distract the dog, but I saw this happening and I wanted Aruba to meet them.

Cjborne - I agree, I notice it more these days with having Aruba, and some people just shouldn't have dogs, full stop!!! Aruba met some cows the other day, it was so funny, they followed us along the lane! They are so, so nosey!

We've had some atrocious weather with the tail end of hurricane Bertha blasting through with high winds and torrential rain - thankfully we seem to have escaped the worst.

Oh I nearly forgot we were at the railway station having a spot of lunch - Aruba under the table - and a working guide dog came off the train - gave me goose bumps as I watched the dog (a very tall, long legged black lab who I imagine could be a Horton or Wexler look a like) walk tall and lead his person off the train and off to wherever they were headed. I told Aruba, look that's what you will be when you grow up! She just gave me a look! lol!!!

image.jpg.e183b1c88a473fe9cb8cb77eb357e494.jpg

Edited by fairbourne

Here's the latest shot of our trio! Can you believe how much our Aruba is growing! (She's in the middle) We took her to the supermarket again this weekend and she met a family with two small children, one in a buggy of about maybe 2, and his sister who was I guess about 6. They were so good with her and Aruba was so good with them. The little girl knelt down to "talk" to Aruba and Aruba just sat and then couldn't resist rolling over for a tummy run which the little girl duly obliged! I was happy for this meeting as it gave Aruba a great chance to interact with little people and their funny ways - the little boy just grabbed her ears, but quite gently and she didn't blink. This is very good as it gives me confidence that she would be good around children if she was to go into a family situation. But I was keeping a close eye on her the whole time. The mum was happy too and we explained to the children the path that Aruba would be taking, and I think although the little boy was too young to understand, the girl certainly did. I gave her a Guide Dog Puppy card with a photo of a pup on it, so I imagine granny will be getting told all about it! I should just say that the mum told the children as they were passing us and before they met Aruba, not to distract the dog, but I saw this happening and I wanted Aruba to meet them.

Cjborne - I agree, I notice it more these days with having Aruba, and some people just shouldn't have dogs, full stop!!! Aruba met some cows the other day, it was so funny, they followed us along the lane! They are so, so nosey!

We've had some atrocious weather with the tail end of hurricane Bertha blasting through with high winds and torrential rain - thankfully we seem to have escaped the worst.

Oh I nearly forgot we were at the railway station having a spot of lunch - Aruba under the table - and a working guide dog came off the train - gave me goose bumps as I watched the dog (a very tall, long legged black lab who I imagine could be a Horton or Wexler look a like) walk tall and lead his person off the train and off to wherever they were headed. I told Aruba, look that's what you will be when you grow up! She just gave me a look! lol!!!

Great story. And that my dear is just another reason for doing what you are doing!!

......And they charge dearly for those health certificates. We got one, thinking our Dog was going on a cruise, then backed out when it got sticky in one of south American areas, and I was worried that they would take my dog off the ship.

What about these transatlantic trips to Rome, but they stop in a British port,. I know you can't take your dog off, because the rules are 3 days away from U.S. territories only allowed in to UK. (which leaves only flying as the means of transit from the US- for dog shows I suppose). They forgot all about cruise ships, didn't they???

Well now, how do you get to England with a dog on a ship? That is the question of the day? Or if the ship continues on to another port, but stops in a British Island, does that make a dog quarantined if it doesn't get off the ship there?

It seems rules change by who's in charge at the dock. Some say yes, some say no. The whole thing is confusing me, I am not taking Lucy to Alaska as previously planned, or should I? It goes to Victoria too out of SFO.

Wow! You certainly are the dog whisperer my dear. You have quite a handsome brood there!

I love the story of the family visiting with Aruba. She'll be a great family dog too!!!

I got a tear in my eye over the dog you saw coming off the train. You must have too!!!! Your little girl will be exactly like that one day! How sweet is that? ♥ It was one of those heavenly things......they're sent our way, at just the right moment!♥

......And they charge dearly for those health certificates. We got one, thinking our Dog was going on a cruise, then backed out when it got sticky in one of south American areas, and I was worried that they would take my dog off the ship.

What about these transatlantic trips to Rome, but they stop in a British port,. I know you can't take your dog off, because the rules are 3 days away from U.S. territories only allowed in to UK. (which leaves only flying as the means of transit from the US- for dog shows I suppose). They forgot all about cruise ships, didn't they???

Well now, how do you get to England with a dog on a ship? That is the question of the day? Or if the ship continues on to another port, but stops in a British Island, does that make a dog quarantined if it doesn't get off the ship there?

It seems rules change by who's in charge at the dock. Some say yes, some say no. The whole thing is confusing me, I am not taking Lucy to Alaska as previously planned, or should I? It goes to Victoria too out of SFO.

It's the very same thing with Hawaii - EXCEPT, if you're arriving by cruise ship, then they bend the rules because they know that it takes almost a week to get there by ship which is too much time to have the titer blood testing done within 48 hours. I had the titer testing done 48 hours before we boarded the ship in L.A. I carried all my paperwork, presented it to Immigration in Hawaii and waahlah, we took Brenda on Maui and drove the Road to Hana with her. I had more questions getting back on board than I had disembarking in Maui.

I was told that they would NEVER quarantine a Service Dog. They would contact the training Org. if they had further questions about the dog's legitimacy. How's that for checking!

Of course, you know that each time you travel there will be different laws, different exceptions and different people doing the examining [just like you mentioned!] ALWAYS check with the cruise ship and their Special Needs Dept. before planning any cruise travel with your Service Dog.

I want to do a World Cruise one day with Horton, can you imagine the paperwork?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I just received Horton's City Dog License in the mail. It used to be good for one year. Now, L.A. is giving City Licenses to Service Dogs for 2 years. So much less paperwork.

I ALWAYS have a copy of his City License with his cruise paperwork. It states that he has a "Special Status" and then it explains what his "Special Status" is and that's always a good thing for those who question our dogs.

Mayor of Lurkerville checking in. I wonder how many of you have to spell special words in front of your dogs. Our family now has to spell out things we don't want Gibson to understand. Sometimes this doesn't work!

Because spelling peanut butter sounds like pronouncing the words we have to just read lips. He has a pink rubber bone with a hole all the way through it that Diana puts peanut butter into for him to lick out. She calls this his PB bone. He gets super excited and heads to the spot where she keeps it when we say PB bone. Then runs to the kitchen with it hanging out of his mouth where he drops it on the floor so we can pick it up and fill it. If we want him to hand it to us we have to be really quick to grab it.

Treat sounds the same spoken or spelled, so plenty of trouble with it as well. Then there is yogurt which has to be very carefully spelled or he thinks it is time for that too. For his two year match day anniversary he got a Yappuccino from Three Dog Bakery; yes the chunks of treats look like a cappuccino with froth on top. (Carob and vanilla flavors respectively.) He knows this word now too so we have to whisper it, no way are we spelling it every time.

Hope all of you are having a good start to your week. My family really enjoys all your activities and stories. Thanks!

Beckie

Mayor of Lurkerville checking in. I wonder how many of you have to spell special words in front of your dogs. Our family now has to spell out things we don't want Gibson to understand. Sometimes this doesn't work!

Because spelling peanut butter sounds like pronouncing the words we have to just read lips. He has a pink rubber bone with a hole all the way through it that Diana puts peanut butter into for him to lick out. She calls this his PB bone. He gets super excited and heads to the spot where she keeps it when we say PB bone. Then runs to the kitchen with it hanging out of his mouth where he drops it on the floor so we can pick it up and fill it. If we want him to hand it to us we have to be really quick to grab it.

Treat sounds the same spoken or spelled, so plenty of trouble with it as well. Then there is yogurt which has to be very carefully spelled or he thinks it is time for that too. For his two year match day anniversary he got a Yappuccino from Three Dog Bakery; yes the chunks of treats look like a cappuccino with froth on top. (Carob and vanilla flavors respectively.) He knows this word now too so we have to whisper it, no way are we spelling it every time.

Hope all of you are having a good start to your week. My family really enjoys all your activities and stories. Thanks!

Beckie

Good morning Madame Mayoress! :p

Good to hear from you and hope you and yours are doing well.:)

OH YES! we have the same spelling club in our house! Your tail did make me laugh! Every evening after we have our supper and they have long had theirs, they get a small hide bone (that's a B O N E in dog speak) and boy do they know exactly what that means and will show you exactly where they are kept as well!!! Even the little one, who gets a small hide bone, knows the spelling out now!

Now what about counting?

Our two big dogs have their food from bowls on one of those stands. Early on we started the, sitting and waiting to be told to "eat". So they sit, and are told attention, then ready, steady, go. Now if I'm being "bad" and say any other word rather than "go", they do not start to eat! I've tried one, two, three, go! No that doesn't work either! LOL! but the little Aruba! not so little these days, has her food at the other end of the kitchen on her mat! and I've been teaching her to sit (which she does) and wait, wait, wait - go! It's taken a few weeks (getting the bowl nearer the mat each time without her grabbing some kibble) but we now sit and she counts the waits, and it doesn't matter what I say after the 3rd "wait", she goes for it!!! lol! And then she will sit and wait on her mat once she's finished in case any chance of more kibble raining down. This "rain" started when I was feeding all three dogs together and she would bolt her food and then rush to their bowls - but not taking anything, pack behaviour kicking in she didn't bust into the adult dogs food. So to stop this, I would drop the odd kibble into her bowl! So habit now she sits there - in hope of rain!!! LOL!

They are funny - I just love their little ways and how quickly they learn to spell and count!!! They are such creatures of habit too. Peanut butter - I tried that with ours but I suppose as they're not American dogs, they really don't get peanut butter! lol!;):D

[/color][/size][/font]

Great story. And that my dear is just another reason for doing what you are doing!!

It was a magical moment that is for sure. Yes, that's why we are doing it. :D. :D:D. How's Davis doing?

Edited by fairbourne

Wow! You certainly are the dog whisperer my dear. You have quite a handsome brood there!

I love the story of the family visiting with Aruba. She'll be a great family dog too!!!

I got a tear in my eye over the dog you saw coming off the train. You must have too!!!! Your little girl will be exactly like that one day! How sweet is that? ♥ It was one of those heavenly things......they're sent our way, at just the right moment!♥

They are not normally so good, but they were fixed on the DH's pocket as their B O N E s were in there!!! This was as I was clearing up after our supper and I had asked the DH Have you got their B O N E S? His reply "Yes, they're in my P O C K E T". "Are they having them N O W?" " N O, they can W A I T". I think having D O G S makes you L O O P Y!!!!!

Yes I did have a "moment" when I saw the young man and his life changer working so well and the confidence he had in the dog.

Where you getting the little hearts from??? I love them! :)

I found this website which I think may be of help to you, if you are planning a visit to see us over here! :). Everything is covered under EU regulations these days.

I found I had to read the information a couple of times but it seems to me that it should not be difficult at all to bring your assistance dog from the USA on a cruise ship to the UK with the correct paperwork, vacs etc. Maybe Coleen can add of her experience as she recently did a transatlantic to Rome with Misty (if I remember correctly).

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-travelling-with-assistance-dogs#other-air-sea-and-rail-routes

It was a magical moment that is for sure. Yes, that's why we are doing it. :D. :D:D. How's Davis doing?

Davis is coming along pretty well. He's not digging in the yard as much and he is learning more each day. He is still skittish with new things. And he does not take corrections well. But these are all things we expect and hopefully can work through. We are going up to the CCI graduation on Friday. A puppy raiser friend of ours has a dog that is graduating. Her name is Pip. Pip and Ocho came home from CCI together in our van. They grew up together and it will be nice to see her graduate.

Beckie

Beckie, that is so cute. ♥ Just like raising children, I swear!

Good morning Madame Mayoress! :p

Good to hear from you and hope you and yours are doing well.:)

OH YES! we have the same spelling club in our house! Your tail did make me laugh! Every evening after we have our supper and they have long had theirs, they get a small hide bone (that's a B O N E in dog speak) and boy do they know exactly what that means and will show you exactly where they are kept as well!!! Even the little one, who gets a small hide bone, knows the spelling out now!

Now what about counting?

Our two big dogs have their food from bowls on one of those stands. Early on we started the, sitting and waiting to be told to "eat". So they sit, and are told attention, then ready, steady, go. Now if I'm being "bad" and say any other word rather than "go", they do not start to eat! I've tried one, two, three, go! No that doesn't work either! LOL! but the little Aruba! not so little these days, has her food at the other end of the kitchen on her mat! and I've been teaching her to sit (which she does) and wait, wait, wait - go! It's taken a few weeks (getting the bowl nearer the mat each time without her grabbing some kibble) but we now sit and she counts the waits, and it doesn't matter what I say after the 3rd "wait", she goes for it!!! lol! And then she will sit and wait on her mat once she's finished in case any chance of more kibble raining down. This "rain" started when I was feeding all three dogs together and she would bolt her food and then rush to their bowls - but not taking anything, pack behaviour kicking in she didn't bust into the adult dogs food. So to stop this, I would drop the odd kibble into her bowl! So habit now she sits there - in hope of rain!!! LOL!

They are funny - I just love their little ways and how quickly they learn to spell and count!!! They are such creatures of habit too. Peanut butter - I tried that with ours but I suppose as they're not American dogs, they really don't get peanut butter! lol!;):D

So cute......I love the "rain" of kibble! Horton is a freak for peanut butter. I put a teaspoon of it with broken pieces of rice cake and he's good for at least 15 minutes. Of course, I have to really jam the rice cake so he has a challenge or he's done in 15 seconds!

Davis is coming along pretty well. He's not digging in the yard as much and he is learning more each day. He is still skittish with new things. And he does not take corrections well. But these are all things we expect and hopefully can work through. We are going up to the CCI graduation on Friday. A puppy raiser friend of ours has a dog that is graduating. Her name is Pip. Pip and Ocho came home from CCI together in our van. They grew up together and it will be nice to see her graduate.

I love the graduations. Unfortunately, they're so far away from us here in L.A. It takes hours to get to them and now they're doing them on Friday's, it's impossible for me, while working. Another reason to retire! ♥

Horton was formally trained with a dog named Pippin. When I was going for TT, I had to work with both of them. I wish I could have taken two dogs! They're both amazingly wonderful boys!

They are not normally so good, but they were fixed on the DH's pocket as their B O N E s were in there!!! This was as I was clearing up after our supper and I had asked the DH Have you got their B O N E S? His reply "Yes, they're in my P O C K E T". "Are they having them N O W?" " N O, they can W A I T". I think having D O G S makes you L O O P Y!!!!!

Yes I did have a "moment" when I saw the young man and his life changer working so well and the confidence he had in the dog.

Where you getting the little hearts from??? I love them! :)

The little hearts are on your keyboard. Hit "Alt" then hit the number "3" at the same time [not the number above the Alt, the number at the right ♥ ♥ ♥!]

I recently asked about St. Maarten myself. I was told all we would need is the health certificate, rabies certificate, and certification from the vet stating the dog was parasite free. Sounds pretty easy.

I believe you will need an update international health certificate.

Happy travels!

Thank you!

When we were kids (long ago) we had Springer Spaniels. When we went on vacation we always saw squirrels and cows. We would spell them and then try and distract the dog from looking out the window. Worked about 50% of the time! So, I have to try these hearts! I love learning little tricks of the trade. ♥ :D Pawsome, thank you Auntie Roz.

When we were kids (long ago) we had Springer Spaniels. When we went on vacation we always saw squirrels and cows. We would spell them and then try and distract the dog from looking out the window. Worked about 50% of the time! So, I have to try these hearts! I love learning little tricks of the trade. ♥ :D Pawsome, thank you Auntie Roz.

WHAT?????? I'm so glad you like the little hearts. ♥ Now, what does the Springer Spaniel; squirrels and cows have to do with anything? I'm slow but Lordy, you're scaring me!

Never mind, it's so good to hear from you. You were also worrying me a bit.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

My dearest Roz ♥,

Fairbourne and Beckie were talking about having to spell words around the puppers. But, alas, the puppers are far smarter than that and they can also spell, thus making you spell words is useless! BOL. That's all. I am very busy, shouldn't even be on here, should be doing all my other "stuff". But sometimes we just need to take a break and talk to my "buddies". I lurk every day and read everything. I am here! Love you to the moon and back! ♥

My dearest Roz ♥,

Fairbourne and Beckie were talking about having to spell words around the puppers. But, alas, the puppers are far smarter than that and they can also spell, thus making you spell words is useless! BOL. That's all. I am very busy, shouldn't even be on here, should be doing all my other "stuff". But sometimes we just need to take a break and talk to my "buddies". I lurk every day and read everything. I am here! Love you to the moon and back! ♥

Oh! I get it! ♣ And, I just adore your hearts ♥ my dear! ♦

Are you holding Cindy hostage? Cindy, go to the light, go to the light! ♠♠

Edited by wizard-of-roz

The USDA advised me a titer test is needed for Grand Turk.

After the Vet sends the blood work to Kansas it takes 3 weeks for the results. After the Vet completes their appropriate paperwork, the USDA can provide an international health certificate and titer certificate. The cost is $121 for the certification. This does not include any fees the Vet may charge.