Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old December 1st, 2006, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Help with choosing cruise line with pre teens

I am asking for some advice for the summer. I was wondering if the NCL line is good for kids ages 15 and 13? I am caught in between the Mariner of the Sea's, Carival Liberty out of Florida and the NCL out of New York. I have cruised both carival and RCC but cost is a factor this summer and to save money and not to have to fly out of CT that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. .. I just want to make sure there is enought for them to do on the ship of we go out of New York on NCL.

Old December 1st, 2006, 10:40 PM
30,000+ Club

Why not RCCL's Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey? That way you wouldn't have to fly and you'd still get RCCL's Voyager class with tons of activities for kids, especially teens.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would also point out the RCI and Carnival both have much better kids programs than NCL.
Apr. 1987 Carnival Celebration * Jun 1988 Carnival Holiday * Dec 1989 RCI Sovereign of The Seas * Dec 1990 Carnival Jubilee * May 1991 Crown Princess * Feb 1993 Pacific Princess * Feb 1994 Regal Princess * Jan 1995 Princess * Dec 1995 Princess, Panama Canal * Jan 1997 Sun Cruises Carousel * Jan 1998 Sun Cruises Carousel * Jan 1999 Carnival Jubilee * Jan 2000 Crown Princess * Jan 2001 Regal Princess, Tahati * Dec 2001 Regal Princess, Australia * Feb 2003 Sun Princess, Panama Canal * Dec 2003 RCI Mariner of The Seas, Back to Back * Dec 2004 RCI Jewel of The Seas, Back to Back * Dec 2005 Island Princess, Hawaii * Dec 2006 Sea Princess, Grand Caribbean Adventurer * Dec 2007 Caribbean Princess * Dec 2007 HAL Westerdam * Nov 2008 Voyager of the Seas Transatlantic * Feb 2014 Caribbean Princess

Commodore

Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfresa
I am asking for some advice for the summer. I was wondering if the NCL line is good for kids ages 15 and 13? I am caught in between the Mariner of the Sea's, Carival Liberty out of Florida and the NCL out of New York. I have cruised both carival and RCC but cost is a factor this summer and to save money and not to have to fly out of CT that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. .. I just want to make sure there is enought for them to do on the ship of we go out of New York on NCL.
We sailed on the Spirit out of NYC last August and had a great time. Our kids age 8 and 11 really liked the Kids Crew programs.

Freestyle is great for our family. We were able to eat in different restaurants, at different times based on our schedule. We were even able to have dinner for 2 a few times when the kids were fed early and having fun with their friends in Kids Crew.

My wife and I have sailed Carnival, RCCL, and Cunard several years ago without kids. We are looking forward to NCL again, on the Dawn in Agust 2007.

Next: ????

Completed: NCL Dawn 8-3-12, NCL Gem 8-7-11, NCL Pearl 8-8-10, NCL Spirit 8-7-09, Carnival Miracle 8-13-08, NCL Dream 5-9-08, NCL Dawn 10-26-07, NCL Dawn 8-18-07; NCL Spirit 8-19-06; NCL Majesty 7-05, NCL Majesty 8-04; QE2 Transatlantic 7-2001; RCCL-Song of America 11-93; RCCL-Monarch of the Seas 12-92; RCCL- Sovereign of the Seas 11-91; RCCL- Nordic Empress 11-91;Carnival Holiday 90

Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

We sailed RCCL Mariner last spring and NCL Jewel last summer with our 11 year old. She had a good time on both ships, but I'd have to say RCCL has more to offer for preteens and teenagers...especially the teens-only outside deck. I know that on NCL the preteens were using the teens' club daily, so I have no idea where they had the 13 and up group or what they were doing.

Long and short of it is that you should pick the cruise that works best for you overall...any of those lines will offer stuff for the kids, so they won't be bored no matter what you do!

RCL Mariner 3/06 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 8/06 Western Mediterranean
Celebrity Infinity 1/07 SA round Cape Horn
RCL Mariner 8/10 Mexican Riviera

Old January 20th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

We sailed last spring with NCl on the Dawn. DS was 15 and DD was 13. They had a great time and still email friends they met in the teen club as well as their counsilors. I have the teen programs on the link below.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/279...89605141LoZVjm

Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Has anyone sailed on HAL Noordam with preteens?