Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > World Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

World Cruising A place for world and extended length cruisers to share advice and experiences.

Old November 26th, 2013, 05:38 AM
50,000+ Club

I really try to avoid turning anything off in the way of cable or satellite or internet or telephone. I find that too many things seem to go wrong when things are off.

But, like most things this is a personal choice.

What I recommend to any of you going away for the first time for such an extended time is to make a comprehensive list of all you need to do. As you think of something add it to the list. Hopefully, this way you will not forget anything.

Keith

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

We retired this past year and are trying to leave home for extended periods of time to explore the world. Spent 3 months in Paris this past spring and will be on 2 cruise ships for 3 months this winter. We are lucky to live the the San Francisco area where housing is scarce and there are lots of responsible young people who are eager to have a house to sit instead of being jammed with roommates in a tiny apartment. We are lucky to have a dear young friend who is our house sitter, but if she were not available, I would scour the area to find another, even pay someone. We rely heavily on the internet to stay in touch with friends, do banking, pay bills. Skype, Facetime, and the like allow for visual keeping in touch. For some bills (house insurance, real estate taxes), I pay in advance of departure. I have found that some magazines allow subscriptions to be suspended and then extended for the period we are gone. Our house sitter opens mail and scans important stuff, sends the scanned material attached to email. I tell myself that nothing will be perfect and we can get clever and work through whatever goes wrong. I refuse to allow my adult responsibilities get in the way of my adventures.

Old December 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbcpa View Post
I just spoke with our cable company. They have a program called "Seasonal Billings". Instead of turning the cable/internet/telephones off, they charge a reduced rate and just reduce your service to the lowest (basic) rates for the three. The savings for us for all three services is over $150 per month. They ask for three days notice for initiating the program and two days notice for reinstating the services to their previous level of service.

That sounds pretty cool to me.

Has anyone ever tried something like that?
We have used that with beach property we have owned. It worked fine for us.

Old December 26th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have a lot of snowbird friends that come to Florida for a period and does that same thing for both of their places. Has always worked fine for them.

5 Cruises with Carnival
2 Cruises with Disney
3 Cruises with Royal Caribbean

Fine Dining ??