Silver Cloud Cape Town to Mombasa Dec. 2015

Countess K

Having done the SS Cape Town to Cape Verde cruise a couple of years ago (it was the by far the best cruise I've ever been on!), I'm very interested in exploring the opposite coast of Africa on the Cloud's Dec. 2105 cruise #1534. I'm thinking this itin looks a bit different from past SS East Africa cruises, but would very much like to get input from those of you who may have done some or all of these ports. Duct Tape, I'm thinking I recall you may have done this (or a similiar cruise) and would welcome your input/advice.

Having done the SS Cape Town to Cape Verde cruise a couple of years ago (it was the by far the best cruise I've ever been on!), I'm very interested in exploring the opposite coast of Africa on the Cloud's Dec. 2105 cruise #1534. I'm thinking this itin looks a bit different from past SS East Africa cruises, but would very much like to get input from those of you who may have done some or all of these ports. Duct Tape, I'm thinking I recall you may have done this (or a similiar cruise) and would welcome your input/advice.

Two inquiring minds are on somewhat similar tracks, but in opposite directions! I just posted this afternoon for info in connection with our probable March 2015 from Mombasa to Cape Town cruise on the Silver Whisper. Hope that BOTH of us get lots of helpful tips and good insights. We really loved the Silver Cloud from July 2010, but for these Africa stops for our needs and schedule, that December 2015 timing is not best for us. Cheaper option, however. I'll keep an eye on the response you get.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 140,856 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

CountessK, multiple apologies for the slow response. Life is getting in the way of cruising. We cannot allow that! By all means, you should go! The east coast ports are very different from the west coast, IMO. There are some relatively prosperous cities as well as small towns. The poverty is endemic but in a different way. Durban is fun with good facilities and lots of Zulu themed excursions, cultural and instructional. Zulu bead work is exceptional. Richard's Bay offeers a few overnight safaris that are definitely worth pursuing. Nosy Be has the lemurs, hot and humid but have you ever seen a lemur? Not a great walk-around port. Maputo is a surprise with upscale restaurants and great seafood. I really like Zanzibar, very exotic and with some interesting architecture. Good place to walk. PE has beautiful beaches. Mahajanga and Dzaoudzi are new ports, but why not? GO.

Greetings, Duct Tape and thank you so much for your very helpful reply. I definitely am planning on booking this cruise (along with Natalie), especially given your recommendations. All the ports sound so exotic, and the opportunity to do a land safari as well is just icing on the cake. Also, the Wind and the Cloud are my fav' SS ships, so am drawn to their itins. Noticed on the forum that mention has been made of health issues; do hope these are behind you now. As you say, mustn't let anything deter one from cruising! Best wishes, Kathy

Countess K: Take good care of the Cloud. Have booked the reverse cruise (Mombasa/Capetown for Dec 20-Jan5, 2015 Love the itinerary. We were on the Cloud in 2012 for the Amazon. (Duct Tape was also along) Lovely ship.

Just posted this on the Africa CC Board, but might be of value here, too. On Zanzibar, from the New York Times in their upcoming weekend Sunday morning travel section, they will have this headline: "36 Hours in Zanzibar, Tanzania".

Here are a few of the in-depth story highlights that will arrive on Sunday morning, plus that are now posted on-line: "The name Zanzibar conjures up visions of sultans’ palaces, paradisiacal beaches and winding alleyways leading to spice-filled bazaars. Indeed, this coral archipelago in the Indian Ocean, 23 miles off the eastern coast of Tanzania, still has many of the features that it did when it was an important trading center and its historic Stone Town served as the capital of an Omani sultanate. Zanzibar’s largest island, Unguja, is home to most of the cultural attractions, many of them found in beguiling Stone Town, which was awarded Unesco World Heritage status in 2000. In recent years, there’s been a concerted effort to restore and give new life to the city’s distinctive structures. Palaces have been turned into museums and cultural centers, and grand Swahili mansions have been reborn as restaurants and boutique hotels. Yet the coast still offers the 'delicious view' that the explorer Sir Richard Burton recorded, of a 'cocoa-fringed shore of purest white, and the sea blue as a slab of lapis lazuli.' "

Lots of details, options and potentials are outlined in this profile. Here is one of the highlights to consider: "Wandering down the narrow lanes of Stone Town in the late afternoon, past coral rag houses and dimly lit curio shops, might be this city’s simplest pleasure. Many buildings date to the 19th century, and their most striking feature is their ornate doors. Carved out of mahogany or teak, some Zanzibari doors are adorned with brass spikes, while others have intricate patterns, like vines or lotus flowers, etched onto them. Standout portals include the golden door at the House of Wonders, the entrance to the Old Fort, and a collection of doors on Baghani Street. A map of Stone Town’s finest doors can be bought for $4 at the Gallery Bookshop, while a refreshing mango and coconut smoothie (4,000 shillings, or $2.55, at 1,570 shillings to the dollar) can be ordered to go at Lazuli, a tiny cafe with a turquoise door."

Lots of nice pictures, maps and other specifics are included. I'll be copying these details and saving in my computer file on my laptop to prepare for our planning late March 2015 visit there. This media coverage gets one very excited about visiting this famed location with its exotic name/reputation.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/travel/36-hours-in-zanzibar-tanzania.html?hpw&rref=travel

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 55,053 views for this fun posting.

Hi Terry

I just knew you'd do it and book for Africa. Great!

We have today paid the final balance on our Baltic cruise and, having done all our homework, just hope and pray that St Petersburg doesn't get pulled from the itinerary if the political situation re Ukraine escalates, hopefully not though.

I will be doing a search for you in future as I shall want to follow along on your African adventure with you in due course. It will undoubtedly be another very exciting and interesting cruise with lots more lovely pics to drool over :D

Take care and our kindest regards to both you and your lovely wife too.

Eileen :)

Countess K: Take good care of the Cloud. Have booked the reverse cruise (Mombasa/Capetown for Dec 20-Jan5, 2015 Love the itinerary. We were on the Cloud in 2012 for the Amazon. (Duct Tape was also along) Lovely ship.

We are on the same voyage dec 20 to Jan-5th, 2015 and are looking into some A&K land safaris; one pre-cruise and one mid voyage. We have been impressed with the Silversea working connection with the A&K travel group. Will post later on as things progress.

This is going to cover a good portion of west Africa and see there is WAITLIST on some cabins at 20 months out....

Hi Terry. I just knew you'd do it and book for Africa. Great! We have today paid the final balance on our Baltic cruise and, having done all our homework, just hope and pray that St Petersburg doesn't get pulled from the itinerary if the political situation re Ukraine escalates, hopefully not though. I will be doing a search for you in future as I shall want to follow along on your African adventure with you in due course. It will undoubtedly be another very exciting and interesting cruise with lots more lovely pics to drool over :D Take care and our kindest regards to both you and your lovely wife too. Eileen :)

Appreciate the nice comments and follow-up from Eileen. Enjoy your upcoming Baltics cruise. Yes, the Ukraine situation is not good, but hopefully it will not cause problems for those visiting wonderful, charming and historic St. Petersburg. Will share your kind comments with my wife. Let me know any added questions on Russia, the Baltics. Always happy to share more.

BUT, on Africa, lots of research and option reviews are needed. That pre-trip planning is part of the fun and learning experience. Just ordered up from our library a number of travel books on these areas. BUT, compared to Australia and New Zealand, the number of such books for Africa are more limited. Need more details from those on these board who have traveled in these areas.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 142,138 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923