Making my 4th attempt to dive at Coco Cay, Fingers crossed

BillOh

I hopefully booked a scuba diving excursion in Coco Cay. Hopefully, in that I hope we get to the island and hopefully they don't cancel the excursion. I am 4 for 4 at making it to Coco Cay. However, not so lucky with the diving. Back in 2007 I was snorkeling at Coco Cay and loved it. I saw a group of people scuba diving there and it inspired me to get certified. Since getting Certified I have been back to Coco Cay 3 more times and each time the excursion gets canceled. All 3 times it was "because of conditions" 2 of the 3, I think that was BS and I was the only diver on Majesty. I'm hopeful this time. I'll let you know in about 105 days.

• 1 month later...
I'm hopeful this time. I'll let you know in about 105 days.

50 days now. I wrote to Royal Caribbean and pleaded that if I'm the only one who dives that they will sent an employee out with me.

• 5 weeks later...

I've definitely been the victim of desire to dive somewhere, that is completely out of proportion to the actual quality of the diving. I can only imagine how strong the desire is to dive at the spot you first decided to become a diver.

I think for most of us there's nothing to make a site alluring like being told we can't dive it for one reason or another; or that it's "too expensive", "too cold", "too remote", or "too anything". Two of us dove Lake Gatun in Panama a few years ago. The cost was something like 4 times what a nice 2-tank dive in the ocean would be. The hassle was great, the visibility was about what you'd expect from a warm water inland lake. I loved every minute of it, I will never forget it, I'm thrilled I did it, and I'll never do it again. :)

I sincerely hope this fourth time is the charm for you Bill.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking the odds went down quite a bit, or are about to. We were in Coco Cay last year 2 weeks after Matthew and the dive was canceled. At this point I don't know if my cruise will be canceled, but I'm betting my dive will be. If the cruise goes on, and we make it to Coco Cay, we maybe the first ship back. Going to be an interesting week.

FYI, if anyone is reading. Our 4 day cruise is now a 3 day cruise. Even though we are driving down, we are still going and I'm looking forward to being away from work. My dive at Coco Cay was scheduled for day 2. Its now on day 3 of a 3 day cruise. On Royals activity planner my dive is now shown as day 2, Port Canaveral. Maybe they are going to make me scrub the hull?

• 2 weeks later...
Am really looking forward to seeing your video! Have been keeping up with this thread, rooting for you!

Thank you all others for there interest. The GOPRO4 limits the file size, so my dive was broken into three parts. I took the middle part, which was most of the diving minus the getting in the water and getting out. The camera is very wide angle and I would say visibility was about 20 yards at most. But we had a great dive. I saw several Rays, including an 8 footer and the biggest lobster I have ever seen! I haven't watched the video on my big screen yet, but I will post a link. If you search for BLUE COLLAR DIAMOND COCO CAY that my find it for you. I enjoyed the dive and the people at Royal were great. Certainly glad I checked this off my list.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your video, Bill. I'm glad you finally got to dive in the spot that motivated you to get certified.

I have a bucket list dive destination coming up myself in a few weeks - Bonaire! It has been at the top of my list of places I've wanted to dive since I was first certified in 1975. It has been a long wait with more reasons I haven't been there yet than I could ever begin to list here, so I'm really excited to finally be getting my chance! I'm afraid that once I get there I will not want to leave!

Thanks for sharing your video, Bill. I'm glad you finally got to dive in the spot that motivated you to get certified.

I have a bucket list dive destination coming up myself in a few weeks - Bonaire! It has been at the top of my list of places I've wanted to dive since I was first certified in 1975. It has been a long wait with more reasons I haven't been there yet than I could ever begin to list here, so I'm really excited to finally be getting my chance! I'm afraid that once I get there I will not want to leave!

I so enjoyed Bonaire, While no big fish, lots of little ones and great coral formations. My next dive is up in the air, waiting till Jan or so to see if our itinerary changes any. Of course after that we can plan a 2019 dive.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this thread to the top, I hope to dive in Coco Cay twice in a row! Last year it was a bit murky 2 weeks after a hurricane. Debating buying a hand mount for my go pro, tired of bubble noises on my cam mount.

• 4 years later...

CoCo Cay is owned by Royal so any diving you do is through Royal. You should be able to book it online through the excursions.

I dived there last year Dec 21 it wasn't very good after a storm. Went back last Feb but didn't dive but I talked to some divers getting out of the water who said it was very good that day.  I'll probably try it again if/when we go back. 

The water was chilly in Feb, I do recommend a wetsuit.

Edited by mac66

Having been to Coco Cay (Little Stirrup Caye), the diving is not great.  Sure go ahead and dive if this is your only opportunity.  Otherwise any other stop may offer a more exciting and rewarding dive.  The dive is just outside the swimming beach on the north-east side of the reef that borders the swim area.  It's technically a wall, but diving is kept shallow.  Previously the dive guide has towed divers out on a "sled" with divers remaining in the water.  This is a "one tank" dive in a rather murky area.  If possible, book a different port.

• 2 weeks later...

We've dove Cocoa Cay twice now and the first time was better than the 2nd. There were so many jellyfish towards the surface on the 2nd dive I think every single diver got stung at least once. Visibility both times wasn't amazing. We got to see a reef shark or two, little rays, a flounder. A lot more sea life the 1st time around! Max depth of the dives was 39 and 31 feet but we stayed on average at about 19 feet. 

Like gmerick said, dive here if it's one of your only ports and opportunities or just to check it off the list. But if you have other amazing dive ports, I'd skip it. My husband and I both agreed we'll take a few years off from diving here again.