Credit Card Free Airfare

cruiz30

No, 6rugrats... There was a period of time last year I believe that Southwest was offering free airline tix. for credit card sign up...

Typically these kinds of offers aren't actually for tickets; rather, they are for a number of miles that will GENERALLY be enough to purchase X number of tickets. Depending on the dates and cities you enter in your travel search, you may end up with enough, or not quite enough.

A few years ago I took advantage of an offer to get a Southwest Visa. The promo advertised "2 round trip tickets" but in the fine print it stated that what I'd actually get was XXX miles (I don't recall the exact number) and that depending on the itinerary I chose, I could redeem them "probably" for two round trip tickets.

Final result: I was indeed able to redeem the amount of miles I received for 2 round trip tickets. I used one, and my BF used the other on a separate trip. Ultimately his trip experienced flight disruptions and as compensation for delays or whatever it was he was given a voucher to apply toward future travel. We parlayed that voucher into almost the total price of two more tickets, so for the $79 annual fee that I paid, we got 4 round trip tickets. Once all travel was completed, I canceled the card.

Agreed, it was quite a score!

:D

Southwest Airlines used to have a FF program that did not take points but flights --I think 12 on the flights I most often took BWI to JAX. We were taking care of DMIL and literally made that trip every 6 weeks and we were able to get at least 4 or 5 free rides over the 3 year period. Did you know that the Chase Sapphire credit card allows 1:1 redemption on Southwest and United.

I leave tomorrow on a roundtrip ticket from Washington DC to San Francisco to Taipei Taiwan to Bali Indonesia and home after the cruise from Tokyo to Washington DC. Hubby and I got 50K points on United credit card and 40K on Chase Sapphire. We paid less than $100 in taxes/fees including the $25 fee for phone booking (so worth it when looking for 3 award tickets) and then we paid for 3 segments to upgrade to Economy plus (segment on EVA airlines a partner company was not available) We did need to buy some points and we waited for a sale that doubled the points/dollar (about 3 times a year) and that was about $150 for total cost of 2 round the world trips at less than $400.

Makes me grin since most of the points came from paying for the cruises, excursions and eating out which I WOULD DO ANYWAY. It makes me happy to think I got a bargain!

Edited by Bowie MeMe

What card was this, and what were the requirements? The most I have seen are a 50,000 mile bonus for a Unite Airlines Chase card.

Was the British Airways Chase Visa Signature card a few years ago, though they may have repeated the offer.

Was 50,000 at sign up and 50,000 for spending something along the lines of $3000 in the first 3 months.

Rather beneficial for me as a British Airways flyer and as I'd been looking to get one of the Chase cards following emigration to the US.

Was the British Airways Chase Visa Signature card a few years ago, though they may have repeated the offer.

Was 50,000 at sign up and 50,000 for spending something along the lines of $3000 in the first 3 months.

Rather beneficial for me as a British Airways flyer and as I'd been looking to get one of the Chase cards following emigration to the US.

That was one of them. There was actually more than one card with a 100K point bonus. Plus, the beauty of alliances these days means that you don't even need to fly that airline in question at all - just book using their miles and fly a partner. I have used tons of BA miles to fly all over North and South America, never using BA to fly.

Edited by frugaltravel

• 2 weeks later...

We LOVE our Chase Sapphire Visa. When you sign up and spend $3,000 in 3 months you get 40,000 bonus points. We each got a card, got 40k points each, and combined them in one account. Don't forget if the $3,000 you spend to qualify is on travel (e.g. your cruise), then you get double points.

So, 40K + 6k + 40k + 6k = 92,000 points. The conversion for flight dollars is .0125, so 92k gets you $1, 150 to spend on airfare through their booking tool.

OR, you can transfer the points to Southwest, or any other air partner they have.

If you want straight cash, because you book somewhere else, the conversion is 1:1, so you would have $920 in cash or as a credit on your Sapphire Visa.

We have used this over and over and over. We use it for everything, register it with Southwest's dining program, transfer points to Southwest, or rebuild the points for more airfare discounts.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/credit-card-benefits/?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ35084085

We LOVE our Chase Sapphire Visa. When you sign up and spend $3,000 in 3 months you get 40,000 bonus points. We each got a card, got 40k points each, and combined them in one account. Don't forget if the $3,000 you spend to qualify is on travel (e.g. your cruise), then you get double points.

So, 40K + 6k + 40k + 6k = 92,000 points. The conversion for flight dollars is .0125, so 92k gets you $1, 150 to spend on airfare through their booking tool.

OR, you can transfer the points to Southwest, or any other air partner they have.

If you want straight cash, because you book somewhere else, the conversion is 1:1, so you would have $920 in cash or as a credit on your Sapphire Visa.

We have used this over and over and over. We use it for everything, register it with Southwest's dining program, transfer points to Southwest, or rebuild the points for more airfare discounts.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/credit-card-benefits/?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ35084085

If someone uses the Sapphire card for the cash/statement credit it is a VERY unwise use of the card. There are several 2% cashback cards that offer a much better value. But for transfer to airline programs, it is a good card.