Must brings, 2.0

brd1121

I always bring a shower cap. One thing that's hard to find on the ship.

I also use a tall kitchen trash bag for my dirty clothes. I just hang it on one of the hangers in the closet. No need to keep opening luggage for dirty clothes. Bag goes right to laundry room when I get home.

Never NOT had shower caps provided.

Leave the suitcase open, either in bottom of robe or under bed, dirty stuff gets dropped in.

Never NOT had shower caps provided.

Leave the suitcase open, either in bottom of robe or under bed, dirty stuff gets dropped in.

Check out this thread for the latest on shower caps. It's entertaining. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2171575

And if people want to use the pop up hampers, let them. This thread is called "Must Brings," as opposed to "Judge those who bring things that you don't."

Check out this thread for the latest on shower caps. It's entertaining. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2171575

And if people want to use the pop up hampers, let them. This thread is called "Must Brings," as opposed to "Judge those who bring things that you don't."

I wasn't judging anyone, as you say the title is "Must brings" I was pointing out that there are alternatives.

We are just back from our first cruise with our kids. My 'must do' list is:

- glow sticks (tea lights would work too!)

- magnetic chip clips for wall (compass, kids compass, weekly planner with our meal times all on the wall)

- pad of sticky notes - we got a larger 4x6 size with lines and it was great for lists as well as notes

-probably my fav of all - a 1$ bottle of foaming hand soap for the bathroom counter. This was SOOO much easier than the bar especially for my kids!!!

- 2 pairs of sunglasses for everyone (broken glasses stink!)

- large clothes pins (we put our luggage behind the curtains before the balcony glAss and raise the pull handles - then just attach our wet bathing suits to them and they were nice and dry!

Things we also brought and enjoyed - ipad/music, an over the closet door hook for robes, clear packing tape (this solves the duck tape problems but is a little friendlier on cabin furniture And clothing if needed!),

I would also recommend Meds - especially travel sickness ones. I met someone on our cruise last week who forgot them and the medical staff was going to charge her over 200$ in dr/nurse fees to get the medicine!

I did not bring a small clock - figuring I would just use my phone. That worked for me but was a pain for my kids - they had to get out of bed to look at that.

We brought way to many clothes....need to revisit that for our next trip!

We have never brought bungee cords, duct tape, over door shoes dividers, alarm clocks, flashlights, pop up hampers or extension cords, and have never needed them. We use iphone apps for our alarm clock, flashlight (though even then we've never needed it) and for a white noise machine at night. We do keep a small outlet extender in our bag for outlets that are not angled the right way to us with our assorted chargers. (Hotels often have outlets on the base of a lamp that won't accommodate a larger charger because the outlet is too close to the desk top to allow the charger cube to fit into the outlet. Similar issue with some ship outlets)

We find post it notes handy to leave notes for one another, although any scrap paper would work. And we bring a gallon size zip lock bag or two in case a bathing suit or whatever isn't completely dry on debarkation morning.

We have never brought bungee cords, duct tape, over door shoes dividers, alarm clocks, flashlights, pop up hampers or extension cords, and have never needed them. We use iphone apps for our alarm clock, flashlight (though even then we've never needed it) and for a white noise machine at night. We do keep a small outlet extender in our bag for outlets that are not angled the right way to us with our assorted chargers. (Hotels often have outlets on the base of a lamp that won't accommodate a larger charger because the outlet is too close to the desk top to allow the charger cube to fit into the outlet. Similar issue with some ship outlets)

We find post it notes handy to leave notes for one another, although any scrap paper would work. And we bring a gallon size zip lock bag or two in case a bathing suit or whatever isn't completely dry on debarkation morning.

Any paper will work but RCCL no longer provides a pen and paper. Most of the papers we get in the cabin are printed on both sides. In a pinch - we have torn up the laundry bag for a scrap of a paper. We usually take the pen and paper from the pre night hotel.

M

I enjoy these threads and have found a number of the suggestions helpful. I don't understand the people who post just to say this stuff is unnecessary. If you don't want to use the suggestions, and don't have any of your own, skip this thread and allow those who DO want them to read without your judgement.

It is good for first time cruisers to know they don't need to bring an extra suitcase full of "Must Have" items. If I'd found this forum before my first cruise I would have had all this stuff that I would have absolutely no use for and would just need to pack up at the end of my trip.

There are some good suggestions and some useless. I remember on a cruise after reading - you must get a shoe bag thing for toiletries. I bought one a Walmart and when I opened it on board discovered it did not come with an over the door hanger. :rolleyes:

I do try to remember to bring highlighters - somewhat helpful. I also bring a notebook (always have my work notebook.)

One thing I bring (not the pop up hamper you have to wrestle the hamper closed when packing to go home.) I have a mesh laundry bag I hang in the closet for all my dirty clothes. They are bagged, ventilated so they are not going to mildew in a plastic bag and ready for the laundry room on my return home.

Battery operated tea lights are not a bad idea as are the cardboard air fresheners for the cabin and bath room.

I do bring a pharmacy with me - motion sickness, aspirin, cough, sinus, antacids, etc. Plus I bring tummy medicine because of an absolute fear of eating something with sucralose aka Splenda!!! :eek:

So while some of the suggestions are valid (never needed more than the plugs provided in the room) many are personal preferences.

Edited by temple1

I now have a small 7" tablet that I use for multiple things - a journal, a movie player, and an entertainment system on the plane.

I've had a Belkin 3 outlet surge with two USB ports that I was thinking of upgrading but now that my tablet has replaced a slightly clunkier laptop, I just need a better USB charger that will take up much less space.

Ultra sticky post-it notes are great for leaving your stateroom attendant a note for ice.

Someone mentioned copies of your info in each bag (I toss in a business card) but I also have a picture of my business card as the first image on my camera (protected so it doesn't get erased accidentally).

I'm trying to pair down what I pack - I want to get to a carry on and a backpack and I'm getting closer. The problem that puts me over each time is the suit for formal nights. I won't go anything less than a shirt and tie but sometimes I like dress up a bit more with the suit.

Balcony doors should stayed closed at all times wether sitting inside or out. Why waste a/c with door open. Wouldn't do it home so don't be greedy and do on a cruise. Signs in cabin say not to do so as well. Be considerate.

Hmm, what was the question?

Burt

So while some of the suggestions are valid (never needed more than the plugs provided in the room) many are personal preferences.

It's all personal preferences, I don't take any of the stuff mentioned in this discussion. But I get it, each one of us is on vacation and we take what we need to relax.

Burt

I already know to bring the power strip, bungee cords, duct tape, tea lights, etc... Any frequent cruisers have some new "must bring" ideas?

Get the kind of "power strip" without a surge protector or it might be confiscated. Some other kind of multi-charger is better if you need it for charging more than one item at a time.

Remember that many people's "must bring" is another person's "never used" so ask yourself if YOU would use it.

In over a dozen cruises, some as long as 33 days, we have never used bungee cords, tea lights, over the door organiser, pop up laundry hamper, alarm clock, or many other items on lists. I have used small clothes pins.

We have also used duct tape, highlighter for marking activities in newsletter, small notepaper/pen, OTC meds, band aids, small sewing kit.

I keep a trip journal and put postcards and newsletter items in it so besides my journal I bring small scissors and scotch tape.

Edited by NMLady

About the only thing you mentioned we do take is a pop-up hamper--it folds flat and fits in the bottom of a suitcase and is very handy for dirty clothes, which I don't want in my suitcase.

I have taken a power strip but never needed it, so don't take it anymore.

I make sure to take a small zip lock bag with 'what if' medical supplies, especially lots of band aids since I often end up with blisters, etc. on my feet.

Essentials: paper work, medications, sun screen, clothes (but less than you'd think), enough cash, toiletries and my Kindle loaded with books.

It is good for first time cruisers to know they don't need to bring an extra suitcase full of "Must Have" items. If I'd found this forum before my first cruise I would have had all this stuff that I would have absolutely no use for and would just need to pack up at the end of my trip.

There are some good suggestions and some useless. I remember on a cruise after reading - you must get a shoe bag thing for toiletries. I bought one a Walmart and when I opened it on board discovered it did not come with an over the door hanger. :rolleyes:

I do try to remember to bring highlighters - somewhat helpful. I also bring a notebook (always have my work notebook.)

One thing I bring (not the pop up hamper you have to wrestle the hamper closed when packing to go home.) I have a mesh laundry bag I hang in the closet for all my dirty clothes. They are bagged, ventilated so they are not going to mildew in a plastic bag and ready for the laundry room on my return home.

Battery operated tea lights are not a bad idea as are the cardboard air fresheners for the cabin and bath room.

I do bring a pharmacy with me - motion sickness, aspirin, cough, sinus, antacids, etc. Plus I bring tummy medicine because of an absolute fear of eating something with sucralose aka Splenda!!! :eek:

Thank you for a well thought out response. I now have a better understanding/appreciation of why people are posting what they don't need.

RCI has sliding doors (I'm pretty sure on all ships-I know the ones we've been on have them).

We just got off Carnival last week and we had a door that opened out, but never felt the need to keep the door open.

Most doors are sliding. Not all. The door I'll have on my aft balcony on the explorer will not be sliding. So there's when a bungee cord would become useful.

I laugh at these post because I never consciously take any of this stuff. We travel a lot often spending 45 nights or more a year away from home, and there are just some things that go automatically. Cameras, phones, tablets, laptops and chargers. The toiletries are always packed and always go, and certain other things stay in the suitcase, and I don't consider taking that to be anything special.

But most of the stuff in this thread I just laugh a, because honestly, except for prescription meds I can always buy what I need wherever I am.

I love my pop up hamper. It folds flat in my suitcase and weighs nothing. I use it to store my dirty clothes in during the week and at the end of the week, I put the entire thing in my suitcase and viola, I'm already packed to go home. I don't store my dirty clothes in my suitcase because we store those under the bed for the week. Love my hamper! LOL

I would also recommend Meds - especially travel sickness ones. I met someone on our cruise last week who forgot them and the medical staff was going to charge her over 200$ in dr/nurse fees to get the medicine!

I believe you were told a tale.... most ships provide Dramamine for free.

I believe you were told a tale.... most ships provide Dramamine for free.

That's what she thought too! But they wanted 42$ for walking in the door and filling out paperwork and 167$ to see the doctor and that was before giving any meds. They left and found a fellow cruiser to borrow them from.

I would have expected that they would have handed out the Dramamine like candy or even done A free exam to confirm it wasn't noro and sent them on their way...that was not what she was offered.

Interesting how different we can be, isn't it? I never take a bathing suit at all! (We cruise places like the Med and Alaska, not the Islands, and I am allergic to chlorine, so the pools are off limits!)

I like longer cruises, and doing laundry on board rather than packung a lot of clothes, so a garbage bag for taking it to and from the laundry is essential.

We use an over-the-door shoe bag for toiletries AND camera, cell phone, binoculars, water bottles, etc. It sure keeps the room more tidy than throwing all of it on the desk.

I have a small kit of over-the-counter meds that have saved several friends a visit to the doctor, though luckily I have not needed it yet. (Key word:yet!)

The one thing everyone seems to agree on--take lots of money! So, take lots of money as well as those fit-easily-in-luggage things you would not like to spend even more money on!

I don't bring ANY of those things....yikes! Never needed them! It's amazing what you can do without for 1 week. Except the hair dryer...full size...no "travel size"!!! Full power all the way!

So true. Have never needed a bungee cord for our cabin (hubby will use one to attach garment bag onto his carry on, but after we get to cabin after boarding, it stays in the closet. I do have a small flashlight, but I always try to keep one in my purse all the time. Even power strips -- we just take turn with charging devices, which we don't bring a lot of, anyway. And our last three cruises were two-week ones.

I, too, take a traveling pharmacy with me (cold meds, ibuprofen, tylenol, aleve, benadryl, band-aids, blister stuff, etc) - but it fits in a small pouch.

I found a smaller hanging pouch at the dollar store - it's about the size of an open manila folder and has about six pockets. It's got string for a hanger - which hangs nicely on the back of the bathroom door.

Having alternately used a small flashlight and my cell phone for nighttime room navigation, I'm taking battery powered tea lights this time to see if I like them better.

I love my popup hamper - it takes zero space, weighs about two ounces, and is just easier for me to deal with.

I take a small roll of duct tape, because as far as I'm concerned, one should not travel without duct tape - again, takes up very little space and weighs very little, but solves a fair number of potential headaches and calamities.

I take a small power strip. It's got three electrical outlets and two USB ports. I find it easier to charge almost everything at once - most of my electronics last me through the day (and/or do with the extra battery I carry). Having the power strip means I can plug everything in at night and wake up to a fully charged system.

I'm also pondering some strong magnets for my cabin wall this time - I saw, in some other thread, where someone had used them to post the map of the Inside Passage to sort of "follow along" on the journey, and I thought that seemed like a fun idea.

Here's my approach to all of these threads: Think very carefully about how you travel, and whether a given item "fits" with what you do. If you're not sure, and an item is small and cheap - take it. The absolute *worst* that happens is that you don't use it. Big deal!